• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Klon Versus King of Tone, for 1 specific thing

GiorgioV

Please be patient. I know this has been debated to death, but there are some specific circumstances under which I'd like to compare the two pedals, that I've not seen discussed elsewhere.

I run a very dynamic rig, an ES-330 into a Reeves Super '78, so I do run the volume on the guitar A LOT and rely extensively on picking dynamics.

I just decided to buy an overdrive to get some extra flexibility, and I tought about a KOT since I've long been interested in it and I like the dual channel thing since I also use a Les Paul for some stuff.

I've been fortunate enough that they've sent me a KOT version 4 on trial, higher gain red side, and I'm amazed by HOW SEAMLESSLY it integrates with the amp's tone, expecially the yellow channel, it boosts the tone a bit but when you roll back the volume you can't tell the pedal's there, AT ALL, you can turn it on and off when picking lightly and it's like there's no difference at all. It's quite incredible.

Now, I've been out of the "overdrive swapping frenzy" for quite some years, of course I've head of the klon, but never tried one. I wonder how it compares under the same circumstances:

When boosting a light overdriven tone, does it blend as well that you don't feel it when you run the volume on the guitar? Or does it compresses just a bit? I know it's great for boosting, and sits amazingly in a mix, but I'd like to know how it fares in such a specific circumstance.

I'm not going to swap the KOT, and I don't feel like spending hundreds on a KLON, but I'd like to know if I might find it interesting for me if I check it out.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

GiorgioV

No, I really like having the two channel option, and the red side is good on its own, I'm just amazed how good the boost side integrates with the amp's tone.

Madison

To me it sounds like you're sitting in a good place as is. However, if the setup continues to intrigue you, just wait for the reviews of the KTR, and if a stream of positive reviews trickle in, drop $270 and see if it will benefit your rig. I used to run a Klon set clean with a Barber LTD SR and it was a good team. Now that I've changed my board (big surprise there) to a pair of POT's, and have a KTR on order...we'll have to see how that works. I do believe the Klon/KTR will be fatter/thicker than the boost of the KOT/POT, if that matters at all.

GiorgioV

That's good advice. I know a couple people with a old gold Klon so I think I could put my hands on one for a test drive with a little effort..

I'm definitely in a good place but also (how could I not be?) intrigued by other stuff.

Fatter I don't see it as a problem since everybody says the Klon is also really good at cutting thorugh..

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
That's good advice. I know a couple people with a old gold Klon so I think I could put my hands on one for a test drive with a little effort..

I'm definitely in a good place but also (how could I not be?) intrigued by other stuff.

Fatter I don't see it as a problem since everybody says the Klon is also really good at cutting thorugh..
i think it would be worth your effort to give it a go.
while you're at it, give a tim or timmy a shot. it is killer between humbuckers and a dirty amp for that 'melting into the amp' phenomenon, and is more 'invisible' than both (aka transparent, right).

all three pedals are excellent, excellent options for what you are using them for. your 'favorite' is going to come down to preferences in
1 - color/transparency. this may also 'feel' like compression/lack of compression
2 - clipping
3 - eq

i could tell you the differences between those pedals, but it's really nothing like having played them.

meanwhile, you've already hit the sweet spot. you're just wondering if it's sweeter

GiorgioV

Yeah. As much as demos are fun to watch and all that, it's nothing like putting the thing into your rig and hear and feel for yourself what the deal is about..

The tim, I've always heard such great things about it, but I'm not as intrigued...you see the Reeves has such a great master volume as it is, so I don't loose as much by turning down the volume, it seems to me that the Tim is more designed to make your amp sound as it's supposed to do, at levels at which you can't perform, which isn't really an issue for me, and I like that slight bit of coloration that I get with the KOT, because it allows some variety..

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah. As much as demos are fun to watch and all that, it's nothing like putting the thing into your rig and hear and feel for yourself what the deal is about..

The tim, I've always heard such great things about it, but I'm not as intrigued...you see the Reeves has such a great master volume as it is, so I don't loose as much by turning down the volume, it seems to me that the Tim is more designed to make your amp sound as it's supposed to do, at levels at which you can't perform, which isn't really an issue for me, and I like that slight bit of coloration that I get with the KOT, because it allows some variety..
then you should dfinitely try the klon. it brings a similar color, but a different eq/clipping situation. it has more bottomish eq than the KOT, and i would have to say it clips a bit harder. the KOT has very smoooooooooooth clipping.

Trending Topics