Klon vs. BJF

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregovertone, Nov 29, 2005.

1. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

the scenario:
    i am running a (PRS CU22/LP CU/52 ri Tele) into a Vox ac30 + plexi or jcm800.

i currently have a FD2. i run it pretty cranked. i love how it pushes the Vox to a really chimey, jangely, almost gritty sound. not quite od--just a really in your face clean, on the verge of breakin up.

I hit the boost to get distortion, and i find that im not getting THAT much of a boost-- just more gain and compression.

i want something that will take it up a notch further.

i am played harder rock-- not too much lead stuff.
    ======================
    i have tried some Muffs, TS styled OD's, the OCD, maxon OD808, but i haven't found it yet. I have an Xoctic BB on the way too.

i hear great things about the BJF pedals (Honey Bee/EGOD/Dyna Red), as well as the klon.

Anyone have any thoughts? Something i need to avoid? something i should look into?

thanks guys!

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Hi,

Can't speak to the Marshalls.

The Klon is my all-time fave gainer, but not with an AC30. With AC15 or AC30, my booster of choice remains Prescription Electronics Germ. The format is wacky, there's an audible 'pop' with effect engaged, but nothing else that I've played pushes a VOX amp with Celestion Blues quite like it, for my tastes. Conversely, it sounds horrible to my ear with a BF/SF Fender, sounds quite nice with a brownface Fender.

I will say however that a *standard output* Tele bridge pup seems to really dig the Klon with most any amp. But this is more about single note lines, than it is about complex chord voicings.

If you're "cranking" the FDII (or any gainer), and then you engage an additional stacked gain boost (such as that of the FDII), your results would be quite typical. Try pushing the amp a bit harder and backing off the gain a bit at the pedal(s).

BJFE pedals are exceptional as properly mated with tone stacks, and with my available gear, I like the way they've played with Fender amps the best. Dyna Red is not, to my ear, the best fit with an AC30 - a bit raspy and congested. BJFE offers a variety of tonal colors, many of which I've not played, but I'm curious about the Honey Bee with the VOX amps.

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The Emerald Green is a great one to check out with that amp. Talk about chime and harmonics. Wow. It's pretty much a perfect match with EL84 amps. I have an Orange AD15/12 with a vintage 30 and it's fantastic. You can adjust it to taste and it's very responsive to the volume knob, it just depends on what you want. It sounds even better when stacked with an overdrive.

4. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

very interesting link!

at this point, im leaning away from the klon....

but now its another crossroads....

which bjf....

i currently have an option for the honey bee, or the EG.

any thoughts there :)

(i hate buying pedals w/out being able to jam them)

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

What setting do you use on the FD2? Flat Mids - Comp Cut ??

I think whats happening is The FD2 has the right compression for the amp before breakup - but as the amp itself starts to distort from being further boosted, it also adds compression and then as the amp is getting louder the speaker are compressing,, all that compression is eating any level increase from the full range boost on the FD2.....

especially increasing the bass will muddy/flabby up a Vox really quick,,,,

So Im thinking you need an uncompressed boost that pushes more in the upper mids....

that would be the Red Rooster Booster, its the perfect boost for Voxes for those reasons...

you could also swap the FD2 for a Little Green Wonder - it has the 'character' of a Tube Screamer but less compression and more EQ variance and less complex distortion for 'mud' control ....

so I think youd enjoy LGW > RRB
    :cool:

6. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

ive been rockin the FD2 in compcut. i really enjoy that sound. i think you are dead on about the boost/compression.....i just need to find the right pair. i dont know if i could live w/out the fd2 at this point.

what throws me is that there is a klon sized space on the board ;) DAMMIT!

:)

thanks donneR!

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

hehehe -- well then sounds like there is room for all three !!! and maybe even an SBEQ or EGD :D

8. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I run an 81' Marshall JCM800 and a 2203x reissue JCM800.
    I like to run the KLON set to clean boost and then kick up the gain to 9 oclock sometimes if im feelin froggy!
    Running the Klon set to clean boost is really the ticket with a JCM800 and a TC G Force for some ambient.
    I also love my Analogman TS9 brown mod 808. I was going to buy the same one with the silver mod. I hear it puts the bottom end back into the pedal somewhat more. I will keep the brown mod TS9 and just add the silver. Was going to just send the brown mod off but id rather have both! Ihave tried so many pedals and I think the Klon and the Analogman TS98=808 brown truly shine the most IMO. SPecially with a ripping JCM800!!
    Dont forget a couple of Ubercabs in the mix!!!YIKES!
    BOGNER Ubercab #1
    BOGNER Ubercab #2
    71 Les Paul CUstom
    01 PRS SInglecut birds/
    05 Taylor 714ce
    TC Elect. G Force
    SKB FLight
    Furman Regulator
    KLON Centaur
    Analogman TS9 808 brown
    Analogman Boss OD1 3403d push/pull clip
    monster cables
    digitech whammi reissue
    Morley ABY box
    Morley Bad Hrsy II
    ----------------------------------------------
    wants and needs
    Fender twin reverb or blackface for cleans
    Ground control pro foot switching system

------------------------------------------------
    FOR SALE
    Marshall 4x12 Slant brand new $475/ship
    FULLTONE FD2 with Aramat switch

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I've got a Tophat Club Royale 2X12 (EL84's) with a Blue and a G12H30. The BJF Emerald Green is THE absolute best OD I have ever tried with it. It is designed to soul mate with EL84 amps.

It's unreal.

10. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

man, the idea of a klon and an marshall sound great :)
    despite the review @ legendary tones :D

but the idea of a EGDM w/ 84's also is enticing.

i think ill have to buy one, save, then buy another-- and sell the other.

in time........

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

There's an EGDM on the emporium...

12. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Ive read that JCM800 page(s) a few times and I didnt see anything about him not liking the KLON and a Marshall? Strange? Anyway, I run it through my 2203 and it just rocks better than anything ive ever heard ! I sometimes set the LEvel to 100% and the Gain at 9 oclock if I dont set it at 0% which is the clean boost deal. When I use the TC Electronic Gforce through the fx loop i set my Marshall volume at 12 oclock or 1 oclock then the the TC basically becomes my Master volume! It sounds unreal with a ;little delay and verb for some ambient! Not to mention all the other cool effects this rack has ! The flange and phase are great. I really love the octave sound as well as the loop. Friggin unreal! I am getting a Ground Control Pro by Voodoo for my footswitching system! I may or may not get a couple of expression pedals. I mnot sure if ill be needing those yet! Good things !
    I really am gasing for either a Metroamp 66 replica JTM45/100 or a Marshall Hand Woired plexi and HW cab! The one that is out now getting rave reviews by everyone!

13. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

I use a KLON, and it is great.... It depends on the toe you like/looking for.

you can not lose with a klon even if you do not like it, it will sell easily.