Klon vs Timmy???

Nathan

Member
Messages
750
Glad you're still digging the Timmy Rick. They're 2 different animals, but the Klon offers up way more fatness. Some don't like the midrange, especially in the overdrive mode, but it' one of the first & longest lasting boutique pedals out there. And hey, the price hasn't changed in 10 years, so it's cheaper now than ever before! Excellent pedal, but not for everyone as with anything...
 

58lespaulman

Member
Messages
1,653
I'm wondering the same thing.. I love my Timmy so much I now have two Timmy's and a Tim on the way.. But looks like I'll be getting a Klon very soon, so I'll be able to see what the deffernce is..
 

Chrissy

Member
Messages
974
I've had my Klon for about 4 years now, TIM for a couple of months...

Since you know the TIM, I'd say the difference is:

The Klon set to gain off, tone 12 o'clock and volume anything above unity is a fascinating clean boost that works great in a band context by giving you a very solid feel to the bass strings and cut through without getting harsh. I don't take part in the "is it transparent or not?" argument myself - I just like the FEEL of the guitar with it.

The TIM has a wider range of tones that are useful (from low to high gain) and a more flexible eq for sure. I'm not a fan of the Klon with the gain above 9 o'clock, although raising the treble can help there. The TIM also does well as a clean boost, but that one particular thing the Klon does is special to the Klon I think.

My solution - I have both in my rig!

Hope that helps.

Chris
 

Nathan

Member
Messages
750
VEry good description Chrissy! I had both too for a while, it was top quality tone! I just moved for somethign different, but you could go very far with just the TIM and Klon and not need much else!!!!
 
Messages
3,913
Thanks again Nathan, I'm real glad to have the Timmy. :dude

But I've read so many good things about the Klon as a boost and not using a lot of gain with it (which is my speed, I'm not into heavy gain - just looking to fatten up the tone and add some crunch/sustain).

The Timmy works well enough there for me, but of course I wonder if the Klon is even better... sounds like it might be fatter, which to me makes it worth considering...?? Plus I'm OK with adding midrange so if it did that too no prob. I'm not into jumpering pedals, just want one to juice up the amp.

(I'm still confused...) :p
 
Messages
3,913
Originally posted by 58lespaulman
I'm wondering the same thing.. I love my Timmy so much I now have two Timmy's and a Tim on the way.. But looks like I'll be getting a Klon very soon, so I'll be able to see what the deffernce is..
Look forward to your report!
 
Messages
384
Unfortunately, I have no experience with a Tim but would like to try one someday. I can say I love the Klon. I actually use it exclusively for my gain tones. I am a low gain person, not a shredder. Mostly blues, southern rock, and classic rock stuff...although I do bluff my way through some country and jazz. I use it through the clean channel of my shiva. I like the gain in the shiva but the Klon seems to give it a bit more balls and chunk. It is really noticeable through my P-90 McInturff. The gain always stays tight and chunky. I cannot stand fuzz in my gain. I like a lot of string separation and clarity.

I love the Klon so much, I have just purchased a second (just in case)

That said...the magic of the Klon does not show through on some amps. I have read some folks saying the Klon sounds great through any amp and some say they don't like the Klons. I think it depends on the amp (along with a person's personal tastes in tone). These things can get so subjective.

The Klon sounds great through my shiva. It also sounds great through a Matchless HC-30 and a Z route 66. It did not sound as good through the Maz 38 I use to own. I have tried some old Fenders that worked well where I did not like it through other Fender models.

I cannot say the Klon is for everyone but I love it. It is a major part of my tone. I do realize that before I buy an amp, I have to see how pedal friendly it is.

You also have to spend a little time with it to get the tone you want. Although there are only 3 knobs, those knobs, especially the tone knob, do a great deal of changes in small increments. So you have to do minute adjustments to find what you like...but once you hit the sweet spot your guitar will feel very alive in your hands.
 

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
3,292
Not much to add that hasnt been said BUT:

They are different - very different. The KLON imparts a midhump that - with my TELES - sounds just perfect to my ears. But sometimes I'll pick up a Jazzmaster , Starfire, Gretsch or something that very much "has a sound" of its own. That is where the Tim/ Timmy REALLY excel. They are so transparent ,they dont alter the signature sound of those instruments - whereas the KLON really does.

In some cases, the KLON just sounds bigger and phatter - but w/ certain guitars it kinda sounds muddy.

you should have both - because the KLON pushing the Timmy is a thing of beauty!! Both are cream of the crop !!:dude
 
Messages
3,913
Originally posted by Brian Yarbrough
Unfortunately, I have no experience with a Tim but would like to try one someday. I can say I love the Klon. I actually use it exclusively for my gain tones. I am a low gain person, not a shredder. Mostly blues, southern rock, and classic rock stuff...although I do bluff my way through some country and jazz. I use it through the clean channel of my shiva. I like the gain in the shiva but the Klon seems to give it a bit more balls and chunk. It is really noticeable through my P-90 McInturff. The gain always stays tight and chunky. I cannot stand fuzz in my gain. I like a lot of string separation and clarity.
That sounds like something I'd like A LOT. Looks like I better scrounge up some scratch... :cool:
 

ixsaves13

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
159
It's so hard to give an unbiased suggestion w/ 2 pedals that are for different things. I guess what would be a good question would be... are you looking for boosting your existing tone (transparency) or changing the tone you have to something closer in your head?

I think when you can answer that question your search would be more simple. I've owned about 5 klons, an RC Booster, Landgraff Boost, Timmy, etc... all with their quirks. At the moment I have the Timmy, it works great for giving a little dirt + output (sparkle on the topend). I hated the Klon for rhythm as it sounded like a half cocked wah (midrange), but for solos it shined. The timmy i can use for both rhythm and leads. I like this where i wouldn't have to use 2 separate boosts for different parts.

Just to clarify I was gigging for a few years w/ a Deluxe reverb (precbs). The landgraff boost was awesome, but finances forced the sale. I guess i'm going more for transparency (why pay so much for an amp and not benefit from it).

I hope this helps,

Eugene
 
Messages
3,913
Interesting Eugene! Funny you should mention a BFDR as that is the amp I'm looking to use this pedal with. My Timmy works absolutely killer with my other amp (Bruno UG30) so that combo is set in stone - with the Bruno transparancy is perfect. But with my DR the Timmy isn't as well suited - I do want to color the tone a bit on that amp to soften/smooth it out some more. Actually I got an old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal and that works pretty well with the DR, but I still wonder what else is out there... I've got a Landgraff coming in a day or so, sounds like you liked that best???
 

ixsaves13

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
159
fast ricky love,

I actually just got the timmy recently so i didn't have the chance to run the timmy through the BFDR. While i had the BFDR, I went through several overdrives / boost pedals. I'd have to say that w/ the analogman silvermod sounded great through the fender amp, but i always ended up going back to the landgraff. The Way Huge Green Rhino sounded very similar to the silvermod with just a tad more smoothness to it and less highend. I still want to get the OCD for a non-midrange drive, but still am debating on which one i should get. I was even considering the menatone red snapper. I hated how the ac booster sounded. RC was ok. Anyways, i'm just blabbing now.

Back to the point, if you do want some coloring the Klon would be great for solos / weak on rhythm playing, but i bet others can get a great sound depending on the amp / guitar setup. I think you'll really dig the Landgraff. I'm a firm believer of that pedal.

Eugene
 

threm

Member
Messages
676
Originally posted by Chrissy
I've had my Klon for about 4 years now, TIM for a couple of months...

Since you know the TIM, I'd say the difference is:

The Klon set to gain off, tone 12 o'clock and volume anything above unity is a fascinating clean boost that works great in a band context by giving you a very solid feel to the bass strings and cut through without getting harsh. I don't take part in the "is it transparent or not?" argument myself - I just like the FEEL of the guitar with it.

The TIM has a wider range of tones that are useful (from low to high gain) and a more flexible eq for sure. I'm not a fan of the Klon with the gain above 9 o'clock, although raising the treble can help there. The TIM also does well as a clean boost, but that one particular thing the Klon does is special to the Klon I think.

My solution - I have both in my rig!

Hope that helps.

Chris
This is about my experience with those two pedals too.

I always use the Klon with gain off, volume a little above unity level and the treble adding just some shimmer. In this setting the Klon tightens uo the sound, especially the bass, like no other. When using delays and other effects for a complex sound the Klon helps keeping definition. The tightening and solidness of the sound may be due to some compression but it doesn`t feel compressed. Just right.
The Timmy is more dynamic and open sounding.
The two pedals sound more alike than most (in my setup) still they behave and feel quite different.
The drive of the Timmy is very transparent (not much of any mids added), is more flexible and suits me better than the drive of the Klon.
The Timmy is one of the very OD`s that doesn`t steal any lowend from your sound.
So for me; Klon excells as booster and buffer, adding weight and solidness to the sound like no other. Timmy excells as a very refined, dynamic and transparent booster/.OD.
 

Seegs

Member
Messages
10,169
Ive got a Timmy a Tim and a Klon and have always used my Tim set for low gain and the boost function for med. gain and then boosted it all with the Klon...

the other night I switched things up and used the Timmy for low gain and the Klon for TS like duties and stuck a Menatone Foxy Brown at the end of my chain for CB and had every tone avaliable that I wanted...

the key to the Klons gain circuit is to raise the treble knob until the honkiness becomes tolerable...

Chow,
Seegs
 




Top