Klon vs Zendrive 2 vs Snouse Blackbox vs Purple Plexi Shootout, you be the judge.

You be the judge

Votes: 8 24.2%

Votes: 4 12.1%

Votes: 21 63.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
You be the judge.
Posted a challenge last week and one pedal took 70% of the votes and was the clear favorite. This week we have 4 more pedals, 3 new ones and 1 returning challenger from the last shoot out. I’m going through 4 pedals one at a time and after the 4th one I quickly go through all 4 Again in the same order. I’ll reveal what the order of the pedals are tomorrow. Bonus points for picking out guessing the pedals.
here’s the order of the pedalsView media item 225559

Last edited:

Dave Locher

Too close to call! I hear distinct differences but like 2, 3, and 4 in no particular order. Quite sure I could be happy with any one of them once I adjust the knobs and/or amp.
If someone pointed a gun at me and made me choose...maybe #3?

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
For me, I'd pick #2
1 and 3 have that noticeable elevation in volume that makes the ears wnat to pick them
BUT, the note articulation was a bit better on 2 and 4 and I have the feeling that 2 would cut through a mix more betterer.

One can ALWAYS stomp on a mini-clean boost to claw back on that absolute volume, but it's a lot tougher to do it AND keep the notes separate for pedals like 1 and 3.

imo

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
Too close to call! I hear distinct differences but like 2, 3, and 4 in no particular order. Quite sure I could be happy with any one of them once I adjust the knobs and/or amp.
If someone pointed a gun at me and made me choose...maybe #3?
yeah, all 4 are pretty great. I know I’d use one of these pedals in a slightly different way that what played in the video.

voorhiessa

Sounds like the same pedal just eq’ed differently. So with a few adjustments of the tone knob (or Bass/treble) they can all sound identical.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
I've got nothing to add to the speculation, except to say that No.3, with it's upper-mids sparkle would probably be the most use in a band mix. 2 and 4 were a little dark and muted IMO. No. 1 was a good middle ground of the lot.

No.3 then sounds like it was deliberately tuned to emulate the late 70's-80's kinda Marshall bark.

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
I've got nothing to add to the speculation, except to say that No.3, with it's upper-mids sparkle would probably be the most use in a band mix. 2 and 4 were a little dark and muted IMO. No. 1 was a good middle ground of the lot.

No.3 then sounds like it was deliberately tuned to emulate the late 70's-80's kinda Marshall bark.
You're are not wrong. To be fair, a couple of these pedals I would use in a slightly different way then demonstrated. One for chunky rhythm and one for smooth solo lines etc...

Pedalometrist

Platinum Supporting Member
You be the judge.
Posted a challenge last week and one pedal took 70% of the votes and was the clear favorite. This week we have 4 more pedals, 3 new ones and 1 returning challenger from the last shoot out. I’m going through 4 pedals one at a time and after the 4th one I quickly go through all 4 Again in the same order. I’ll reveal what the order of the pedals are tomorrow. Bonus points for picking out guessing the pedals.
My guess would be:

1. Snouse
2. Zendrive
3. Klon
4. Plexi

... interesting video, since they all sound surprisingly similar. 4 sounds the most muffled to me, while 2 and 3 seem to cut through the best. 1 is a nice tone too, but I would likely opt for 2 or 3! :beer

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
3 for home use, since it's the fullest sounding. The others sound darker, but might be better than #3 in a mix.

Trending Topics