Klon VS Zvex Super Hard On

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Feb 7, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Well.... the Klon won out for me. Suprised? And this is a very important note... I am comparing these pedals set as clean as possible and a couple clicks above unity into a modded Fender Blues Jr with a 12" Weber and NOS tubes. No gain on the klon cause I dont use it for that. These are two great pedals, but the difference between the two...

is about $500. :D :roll

Seriously, the Klon has that nice low mid woody tone. Clear highs without being ice pickesh. Stacks very well with my OD's. Awesome in a musical way. Everything you read here on TGP is true... except from the guys who knock it. Who either dont use it right, dont understand it, dont like rich woody tone, dont like bigger pedals, have had an embarrasing horse accident, play crappy digital amps, live in metallica land, or stay :FM all the time cause of the goop, or they cant afford it or justify the green. :rolleyes:

Some of you are doing this.. :munch or this :jo or this :BITCH...

:D Eat more popcorn..

The SHO is a bit slicy and thin in the highest freq's. Other than that, its fairly even as you down the bandwidth. It congests a bit in the middle when stacking other ods into it, but this is slight and really at higher settings. It really brings out some tones in your instrument.. mainly higher tones, that you may miss or not see clearly. It sucks them out. Great for dark amps where you might want more presence.. or as a first always on pedal to drive OD's for clarity, and you've adjusted your amps highs to suit.

Im not selling the pedal because of the bumble bee on top. :AOK

AND... it really really KICKS :moon for blues harmonica ( old bullet>SHO>71 Princeton Reverb ) OMG!!!

:cool: Blues brothers :BluesBros anyone??? :cool:

Im really hooked on the cartoon characters so kill me :Spank

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I like the SHO and even better than that, the bad bob booster. But it's not a clean boost. I'm a dirty boy.:Devil

3. thedroid

thedroid Member

The SHO brings out the high end in your pickups. Some high frequencies get lost in the signal chain, and it restores them by using a super high input impedence buffer. Other than that it's a pure clean boost that will go louder than most. I've found that the added high end helps leads stand out if you use it as a solo boost, either just before the amp or before an overdrive. I've never tried the Klon; it sounds like it has some EQ'ing going on to warm up the tone.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I can see where the klon might sound better than the SHO into a Fendre amp as they tend to be brighter. The Klon's natural compression can work well with the tonestack in the Fendre and not so well in front of Marshall type amps.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

This is a good selling point for most, and it's true but I actually don't like buffers like that because it makes the high end really stand out. I guess the truth is I've played for a really long time with that high end loss and that's what I'm used to now and what I like.

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im digN it through 2 different 100 watt marshalls. I guess it all depends on the concoction you put together from start to finish.

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I am trying a Durham Sex Drive or Barber Launch Pad next. I kinda want to bump the klon off if I can find something better for boosting for solos after an OD. Im not using the gain on the klon anyway. If not but for the resale value. So far, the RC boost and SHO hasnt done it, but Ive been stuck on OD's for awhile and now Im giving boosts more attention. Treble boost is Beano and thats that, but full boosts need to take things up a few notchs without sounding too clean but not too much color added either. Rc boost was close, but klon was better.

8. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

not really a fair match.
    the SHO & Klon are completely different pedals, the klons an Overdrive, SHO is a clean boost..

Klon Vs. Box of rock would be more fair :)