Klon vs ????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teleman, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

What is out there that can deliver the same goods as a Klon?

2. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

I HIGHLY recomend The Eternity by LovePedals. Natural sounding, trasparent, and very usefull. Many of my Klon cusomers are very happy with it.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

It takes two, three or four pedals to get close to the Klon.

Maybe the Sexdrive, Honeybee, Hotcake and Blues Devil could fit the bill.

The Eternity is a fantastic pedal and it sports its own unique voice that really isn't close to the Klon. Together, the Klon & Eternity could cover vast tones. That's how my ears hear it.

4. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

There are a TON of pedals that are as good or better than the Klon. I have several customers who have replaced their Klons with my Screamer. I'm sure there are 10 other builders who have had the same experience. It's all a matter of what you want. My best suggestion is to try several pedals, and see which one works for you. Try Pro Analog, Skreddy, Timmy (PaulC), etc.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I had an Eternity which I tried in several different situations with half a dozen different opamps but in none of those modes did it sound like the Klon.

I also have a Timmy (my main rhythm level OD-love it) and an RC Booster which is a great clean boost.

They all sound great and for certain applications may be even better than the Klon but none of them sound a bit like my Klon.

I've never tried things such as the Cold Fusion which many people do feel does a pretty good simulation of the Klon's clean boosting. I don't know what would really sound like the Klon overdrive.

6. duende

duende Member

Nothing. They are all different.

It's all give and take really... You have to decide what is most important for your rig and playing style. I own and use regularly many of the peds mentioned here, and sure... maybe something new will come out and make me retire my klon.... But that has not happened yet.

I agree that it's good to experiement and find what works best for you. But don't right it off just because it's been "the one to beat" for so long.

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

Nothing can..... Period.... that's why almost everyone wants one...

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

speak for yourself.... ;) Leave the rest of us out of it. =)

Klon has a specific tone that many people like, and others outright dislike. Personally, I thought Klon was fine, but I wasn't dancing around praising it for its wonderful tone. It's nice, but I wasn't awe struck. I like CARB alot better. Others seem to prefer TIM or Timmy. All are similar in their application. They are all designed to push an amp that is near breakup into a very nice, amp-like overdrive.

Don't think that just cause Klon has alot of followers that it's a must have, end all pedal, because it's not. In fact, no pedal is a must have, end all pedal. If you really want to give it a shot, go for it. Some have mentioned giving several pedals a shot, and i think that's the best advice out there. Try different units out til you find "that" sound that is in your head.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

nothing!

And that's after my Klon has lost every basement shootout I've put it through...

but after having used it live on many occasions I have to say that many claim to but none I've tried deliver what I get from my Klon!

for me its about the feel and how it gently lifts your guitar up in the mix without ever dominating or taking over like a lot of boosters I've tried do...it just sits perfectly when used as a Clean boost not too mention the effects it has as a gooser on my other ods often fattening them up or providing more articulation depending on how I set it...

then of course there is the buffer which when used first in my chain restores my high end when I run an A/B/Y setup...

as an od it just feels great its as if the guitar plays itself...

this is a very versatle pedal which for me has many uses and it is what I base my sound on...my only problem is deciding on how to use it...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Depending on application...i've found that if you use your klon as a clean boost the RC get's in the ball park, not quite as thick though. For an overdrive it's quite unique and haven't found anything comparable yet...it's a very thick pedal.

11. duende

duende Member

Nice post Seegs! I think you nailed it!

I couldn't have said better...

Stressfest...

that's some good info! Btw... do you use all those pedals on your board? Or is that just your arsenal?

12. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The KLON is unique in what it does when you use it as designed, not for bedroom volume, it needs an already bleeding amp to be appreciated. Granted it can be turned on and used, but it needs the volume to sound like it should. I've got a KoTv4 and an Eternity and I've had the RC they all play on the same Field , but all at different times and positions.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

The Boostier is very close to the Klon on boost settings, but cannot do Klon OD. My $.02. :)
    Greg

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 Greg. I have found a few OD's that come CLOSE to the klon, but none actually nail it.

15. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I agree the Klon is great as a cleanish boost. (There are some clean boosts I like just as much for different things...Hotcake, RC, Boostier for instance) However I don't think its the "one to beat" as an OD.

Also I see a lot of them for sale....obviously they aren't for everyone. But you can't go wrong trying one out...you'll always get your money back if you don't like it.

Bob

16. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the CARB. The Klon is cool but the hype is KILLING ME! Quite honestly, I'm the fortunate owner of a Way Huge pedal which I purchased at it's original selling price but now it's worth $500-600. Similar to the Klon, they've sold (and currently sell new) for somewhere in the $340 range and sell on TGP and eBay for $450-700. I just don't get it!!!

Go out and check out the CARB for a mere $200 and enjoy!!!

17. Dana

Dana Guest

I think it also depends on the application.

In one case I compared the Klon with the Bad Bob Booster. It was a loud rock gig. I was using a PRS with humbuckers into a Fender Prosonic. To my ears the Bab Bob worked better.

But, you could try the same experiment with a Tele into a Deluxe Reverb, and the Klon might sound better.

It all depends on the gear and the application (not to mention your ears!)

18. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

..but yes, I have to pull my foot out of my mouth and agree that it does depend on application.

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

That's why I said most!!! Not all... :p

20. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Member

I'm interested in your use of the term '...as good or better than...'. Could you please tell me how you judge one pedal to be better than another? Please don't think I'm flaming you, its just that your choice of phrase confuses me somewhat. From reading all the information I can find on the Klon and your Screamer pedal, the only similarity they have is that they are both described as overdrives. I'm sure both you and the designer of the Klon have taken very different approaches and therefore a direct comparison cannot be made. Ok, so 'several customers have replaced their Klons with your pedal'...does this fact alone make your design better? Certainly not. That said, for applications at bedroom or low volume level, the Klon isn't the best. It works best in gigging situations when the amp is already being pushed hard.

I see overdrives like cars. Say one overdrive is a Ferrari...an excellent car, some would say the perfect design. Yet a ferrari isn't as much use to a family with 4 kids as a slow, cumbersome people carrier is. The point I'm trying to make is 'better than' depends entirely on individual taste, application and alot of other things. But to say 'x pedal is better than y' is a bit if a generalisation if you ask me.

Thanks
    Jon