Klon with AC30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, May 22, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I think I'm ruined. I took my Klon tonight and did a side by side with my AC Booster. The Klon sounded sooooo good! I had the drive on 1:00 treble about 11:00-11:30 and the volume at 9:00, just a tad above unity. Man that things sounds smooth and thick then I stepped on the AC Booster (up till tonight I was really happy with it) it was raspy and sounded like, well, a pedal. Like I said, I think I'm ruined.

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    It's a great combination, no doubt.

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

That is typically how it goes with that thing. Its actually a process, cause you really doubt its as good as the hype, and then you hear it it. There is no turning back.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Mine is so damn good I wish I had two, so I could set them different.

I like it with the gain on 8 or 9 o'clock, the rest at noon or one.

It's like having a "More" pedal, cause it just gives you more sound without sounding like a pedal.

5. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

The Klon is amazing. It makes EVERY amp sound so much better. I don't use any of my other ODs anymore, no need to. It would be great to have a second one for solos, since I leave it on all the time. I am presently using it with a Shiva 1x12 I just picked up.

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

As I mentioned before on another thread as far as my drives go I'm just loving Timmy (LM1458 asymmetrical clip) > Klon > RC booster.

It's all the range I need with my guitars and I have never been happier. In particular the totally different characters of the open, raw sounding Timmy and the fat muscular Klon are a great match.

7. AshlandBump

Is this an oblique reference to The National's "Secret Meeting?"

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

:confused: help a brother out here, what?

9. AshlandBump

Obviously not -- the "I think I'm ruined" is a line that's repeated in their song "Secret Meeting," and their guitarist uses a Klon, so I thought you might be familiar with The National. Great band, btw.

10. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

My Matchless DC-30 with Klon was a great combination. It was my #1 rig for a long long time. I liked the AC boost for slide because it had a lot of smooth compressed OD, a good singing quality. But it was a bit mushy. I ended up selling it and don't miss it. The Klon however, will always be a 'go to' pedal in my rigs.

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Not oblique, subliminal maybe. Coincidental would be more accurate. I'll keep an eye out for that band.

12. AshlandBump

It would have been oblique if you were throwing it out there to see who'd bite. Coincidental indeed.

The National's web site - I think they have some stuff streaming there:
    www.americanmary.com

Back to the Klon and the AC30. A Vox sounds so good just on the edge of breaking up, kicking in the Klon with the gain set at 0 or minimal is perfect for pushing the amp over the top -- just a rich thick tone.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm actually considering this now. I like 2 settings, and think it makes the best rythem distortion and lead sound ever.

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I've had my Klon for a couple weeks now. I *hate* to sound like "that guy," but the truth is that it's the most unbelieveable OD I've ever played through. Lives up to every bit of the hype, which almost never happens. I know most of the TGP'ers I've talked to use it as a clean boost, but I run it into what's basically a 50 watt Plexi, set at: Gain max, Treble 1:00ish, and Output to taste--usually around noon-1:00. I turn it off for cleans, have my guitar's volume knob rolled back to about 7 or so for classic rock rhythm, and then wide open for leads. I spent the money, waited the 10 agonizing weeks, and will NEVER look back. Freakin' killer. 'Nuff said.

But, as always, YMMV.

Best,

Doc :dude

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A bit of a revision to my earlier post based on more time spent using the Klon with the band..

After having had a bit more time with the Klon it's now before my Timmy and RC. I really like the body and the touch sensitivity of the pedal earlier in the chain and I like the way the buffer works before my other boost/overdrives.

My '98 Collectors Tele sounds like it's on steriods with the Klon but it's still Tele-like and steely. I have a set of GVCG Lollars to go in it this weekend so that should sound even better.

As for the Fralin P90 loaded Tele Jr...it just sings with this throaty yet clear tone with the Klon. It's a sound I'm really starting to love!

16. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

+1 for sure. I tried using it last in the chain like a lot of people seem to do, but I didn't like it as much. I use it early on, pretty much like you would any OD. But the way it sounds running into my other pedals (distortion included) is great! And I'm not "stacking" either. I mean that I like the way it sounds even when it's off, using its buffer. Really wakes up the sound after having a lot of it sucked away by cable capacitance. Very nice indeed.

17. AshlandBump

I have those pickups in my Muddy Waters Tele, I think you're going to like them, sound great with an AC-30 or, in my case, a Hayseed.

18. Grant Ferstat

Thanks-really looking forward to them now.