KLON with ac30?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shuffle, Sep 17, 2006.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

This may be a dumb question, however....

I currently use a FD2 for OD with my ac30. i love it! I have tried a Hotcake bluesberry, an AM TS9-808-silver, a xotic RC Booster and a few others to get a second OD on my board.

Im curious as to the match a KLON makes with an AC30?

I play a tele mainly, sometimes a strat.

Im mainly interested in its capabilities at being a good rhythm OD

Thanks,

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Ooo...also curious on this one...

I've done the same things, and have ended up with the FD-2 over numerous others (keeley 808, Hotcake, Keeley BD-2, OCD, RC Bstr, etc)

but bump for this. i wanna know too!

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I use a Klon with an an AC30 and Teles.

When I first tried it at home volume I didn't like it at all but it really shines with the AC30 clipping a bit at stage volumes where it tightens up the bass and pushes your sound up front and center with a band.

I find it is great as a solo boost as it's very clear and muscular. It's a very unique tone which sounds very FAT even at low gain settings.

The Klon is very different to FD2 which I used for some years as a base tone. I personally don't like it for rhythm playing as it's a bit thick and coloured. I use it after a Timmy which is used to give me a little bit more rhythm crunch and is much more transparent. I think you could use it successfully with your Fulldrive particularly if you find the boost channel of the FD2 doesn't add enough volume lift and is a bit too compressed which was an issue I had with it.

Hope this helps guys.

earthmud likes this.
  4. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

hmm....funny. I use a FD-2 comp cut for low gain, hit the timmy for mid gain, then the FD boost for high gain..and i play a DC-30(bout the same)

about the same setup i'd say...

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

So why not just use the FD if you love it? or do you have the BUG!!!

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Umm yes...and no.

A friend of mine has a DC30 and I was just playing through an SC30 the other day. They still have some key differences to me. While the DC30 has that Vox heritage it's a much tighter sounding amp (due to more filtering I'm told). The DC always sounds like it has a fair bit more headroom and doesn't compress as early to me.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Ch#1 on the DC is basically a 'very nice' old vox tone...the 2nd Channel is entirely different all together. For a lack of a better way to decribe it...it's like the TB side of a Vox but nastier :)
    I've tried the Klon with both the Vox and Matchless and gotta say prefered the Vox. Just a rounder tone and better fell too...more bounce to it, spongier.

8. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

ha...well, you know what i mean:)

9. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I love my Klon into my AC30. It's my favorite OD pedal with this amp. I don't care for the Klon into my Marshall 2061 head - it's missing girth. With the AC30, it's a beast.

10. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

odd.....

my main tones....

tele (or lp)> klon > fd2 > ac30

its a killer combo, capable of such a huge array of tones.

fd2 for glassy cleans. klon for slight breakup. both for heavy sounds. both/boost for lead.

its awesome. highly recommended.

i also own the hotcake....which covers some similar ground as the klon...but doesn't have the sheer girth of tone. the hotcake is great.....but the klon is worth every penny.

11. earwax

earwax Member

Was thinking of trying a klon into my Vox amps. Anyone doing this with good success? I am not sure the mid hump would agree with the amp. Also considering the ep booster.

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

The VFE Alpha Dog is INCREDIBLE with an AC30. Do yourself a favor and try it.

13. rutxer

rutxer Member

Strat and tele to an AC30 with a Tumnus, plus these guys are fun and can play :)

earwax likes this.
  14. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I take it back. Do not try the VFE Alpha Dog with the AC30. Its horrible, you'll hate it.

That's the VFE Alpha Dog.

15. earwax

earwax Member

I have owned one in the past. Didn't hate it and didn't love it. I think at the time I liked the OCD I had a little better. Still pretty good though.

16. earwax

earwax Member

Great video. I had not see that episode yet. Love size of the tumnus. Wanted to get the arc effects Klone though for the bass boost. Are the two fairly comparable?

17. cutonio

cutonio Member

Maybe this can help :

I own an EHX Soul Food (Klon clone) and play on a Vox AC15.

I like the Soul Food as a boost, but as an OD, it just doesn't sound right by itself with my setup. There are too much mids. Maybe it's because of my guitar (my humbuckers deliver a lot of mids too). Or maybe it's because I play my AC15 clean.

earwax likes this.
  18. earwax

earwax Member

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I would be better off with a straight clean boost or ep booster if that's the case.