Klon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Oct 20, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

Is the Klon good for taking an amp that's dialed in hot and boosting it for lead?

Or is it more of a take your mild amp and make it a little less mild type pedal?

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

1st question, yes.

2nd question, what?

3. somedude

somedude Member

You know when you have an amp setup somewhat clean, then you use a pedal to boost the volume a little so your solos stand out from your rhythm sound?

Or - same amp, same setup - you take it from pretty clean and use it to boost your gain into overdrive.

Also... is it better with a Fender style amp? Marshall? Or both pretty equally?

I've read alot of Klon threads over the last few years... but I never really put much throught into how they're used.

4. 95strat

95strat Member

The Klon is designed for 6L6 type amps (Fenders) and is best used with an amp set to just before breaking up or at slight breakup as a boost. It has drive, but most folks use it as a semi clean boost.

I've heard it described as generating a nassely/voxish tone through a Fender amp. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, either you like them or hate them. I believe they are over priced so I built a clone of one. Nice pedal, but not worth $400.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I like mine. More with my Fender amps than with my Marshall.

6. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

I like mine with both Fenders and Marshalls equally. Infact my Strat or Lespaul boosted with the Klon into a Marshall is pretty much tonal nirvana, YMMV.

7. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Bill told me that he designed it around an AC30.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Great pedal but why so expensive? $200 would be ok but double! how much dose fairy piss cost these days?

9. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

It is a great pedal that goes VERY well with the 6L6-based Fenders and Two-Rocks that I own, I vary the use from a VERY good boost pedal to using the gain dial as well. I don't have any Marshall flavor amps right now...so I'll not comment there. As for price? Can be had for less than $400 if you are patient and you pay for the quality, exclusivity, etc.

10. shawntp

shawntp Member

I love my Klon - yeah there are clearer OD's that dont change your tone, ones with more saturation for higher gain. The Klon is what it is - its got a TS-ish mid bump that is very pleasing to me but nowhere near your typical 808, it really is a nice circuit that I find warms up and makes my tone a little bigger sounding. When I dont have the Klon on my brain doesnt enjoy the tone as much.

Klon is currently the main pedal that I use by itself with nothing else - I enjoy almost its full range of gain. The Klon is very picky about where it sits, I use it alone a lot because I favor what it does it to my other flavors and stacks. My sound is pretty simple though - nice warm low-med OD with reverb....

I've read about people saying it works better well at high volumes but it really sounds good at lower volumes too depending on your circuit and how easily your amp breaks up at low volumes (I run a Carr Mercury at 2 Watts for recording and the Klon breaks it up very nicely).

As for price - if its $350-ish or whatever new (wait list) to have an enclosure like the Klon does has to run the price up some on a smaller builder - its just gorgeous. Its probably a $200-ish pedal with an extra ~$75 for that sweet enclosure and an extra ~$75 due to high demand over a long period of time.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I didn't mind paying the $342 it costs if you are willing to call Bill direct and wait a mere 12 weeks for delivery. I love my Klon with both my blackface Super Reverb and also Boogie mark IIc. I'm using mine as a slightly dirty boost that make my clean amp sound chunky and fatter. I then step on another OD for my lead tone and the Klon plays great with every pedal on my board.

12. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I'm curious if Screamingduck knows Screamingdaisy...

13. somedude

somedude Member

Nope. Just noticed him the other day.

14. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've been using a KLON for 5 yrs., It works with every amp I've plugged it into including:

JCM800 (6550/EL34)

DrZ Maz jr (el84)

Vibro King (6L6)

Shiva (EL34/6L6)

ERT33 (el84)

Bedrock Royale (6v6)

Fuchs OD30 (6L6)

YBA1-As (EL34/6L6)

Traynor V50 (EL34)

Soldano SLO (???)

and a few others, they/it usually produce a good tone if they were breaking up first and cleaned up with the guitar volume.
    The KLONs I own(ed) worked well when they were used as intended.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  15. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Ditto

16. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

isn't there barely any components inside those huge klons? i'd like to see catalinbread stuff one into a bantam sized box it'd be so cute

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Klon is perhaps my favorite pedal of all time. I use it more to extend the tonal range of my pickups than to grind out the amp. So I guess I use it as mostly a boosta, although I love the gain control. There is a lot of game in the tone & output controls and all of it sounds like the real thing, no tonal byproducts that wig out your clean tones. Which is not to say that wigging out your tone isn't valid....it's just not what the Klon was designed to do. But...all those lofi silvertone supro-esque & texas big-hat & fat-fatty single coil shiny tones are awaiting. Believe.

18. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

:rotflmao i actually laughed out loud..good one..

19. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

I play for a living. The klon has been a HUGE part of my sound for five years, now. I've never, ever found a pedal that works the way that a klon does. Lots of stuff can sound cool in the bedroom. Lots of stuff is great when you're playing by yourself, too. But when I'm in a live playing situation, the klon leaves all other boosts in the dust. I like my old 808, too---I find the fuzzy drive sound of the vintage units to be endearing, for some reason...The klon, though, is the only box I've ever found that actually makes my amp feel thicker & bigger...it's hard to explain...As far as the "ts-type mid-bump" opinion goes, well, I would give an emphatic no...the klon's perceived mid-bump is not @ all tube-screamer-like...it's more accurately described as what would happen if you did push your amp harder: the more that the guitar amp is turned up, the stronger the mids become---it's the nature of compression, & therefore, drive...you hear more mids b/c you hear more amp, but it isn't a spike, by any means; If your amp could run @ "11" or twelve, this might produce the tone of the klon. I hate hearing the klon nay-sayers---it seems like some people have made a mission of dismissing the klon. Or maybe their goal is to convince others to dismiss it. I think people should accept it for what it is: a beautifully unique & innovative piece of engineering. If mine burnt up or went missing, I wouldn't pay the $329 to replace it...I'd pay the extra $50 to get it rushed to me...who here isn't willing to pay the price difference above a cheap, factory-made circuit-board amp to get an amp that accurately projects their guitars?---that price difference is MUCH more significant than the price of a klon...(which makes my little '60's gibson amps sound like...well, they sound AMAZING)

My point is this: I haven't made it my mission to challenge the popularity of the Eternity simply because I didn't care for it; I know you guys have found something really great in the unit---for me, it was the "disappearing guitar" pedal when I was playing live (as if it actually DECREASED my midrange...)
    So please stop overstating your perceived shortcomings of the klon...it gets really old. Don't buy one if you don't like them. If you've already bought one, don't fret: their resale value is pretty good;).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Thanks hazel-rah, I'm strongly considering one- maybe even today.