Klone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clothwiring, Jun 29, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Now, I haven't tried a Klon or am I going to tell you I'm on the prowl for one. I'm wondering if people can tell me, why hasn't someone cloned a Klon and put it out cheaper? Seems like such a cool pedal to so many people that someone would clone it and put it out.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I've wondered myself. You would think that tearing a Klon apart to discover it's secrets in order to build illegal/immoral klones would have been done by now.

3. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Because you would risk damaging the pedal in the process of reverse engineering it. The PCB of a Klon is well covered in epoxy and removing it can be a very destructive process. It would be very easy to break or destroy components beyond recognition. The other thing is that the Klon is "protected" for lack of a better term on most of the DIY forums. It's like an unwritten rule and if someone posts a layout/schematic that even remotely resembles a Klon the thread gets pulled. About two months ago a guy posted a schematic for what he called a "Klon-type Booster". I was lucky enough to get it right after it was posted and it was pulled almost immediately. The schematic was not even close to a Klon, but the use of the word in the title was enough to cause problems. I did build the pedal...$10 and one hour of my life wasted. Bill Finnegan has got something special with the Klon and only he knows what it is.

4. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Supporting Member

It is bad taste for a builder to clone something that is in production by a small batch builder that has spent many years perfecting his craft or product.. Usally a "said" clone of something is nothing like the original and a waste of money, ect..

It is usally punishable by death in some weird form of karma :)

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

why does the klon have to be so big and bulky?

6. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Supporting Member

tone.. :rolleyes:

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

+1000 to that. The Klon is it's own thing, and it's not (nor is it intended to be) all things to all people. A lot of these guys who make their livelihood designing and building pedals (who are also members of this forum, by the way) invest their minds, hearts, and souls into what they do. I'm very much against cloning (or Kloning), unless you're after a certain sound from something that is no longer being made, etc. I think if someone wants a Klon, they should buy one. If they think it's too much money, etc., then don't buy one. Really, it's as simple as that. A lot goes into the making of these fine musical instruments. These tools are more than the sum of their parts. They are both the designers' dreams and the executions of those dreams. A lot of time and talent goes into that. I really don't think that a lot of these guys are "getting rich" at it, either. They have operating expenses, too. I think that, when it comes to evaluating the purchase of a pedal, especially based on price, there's way more than meets the eye.

That's my $0.02, FWIW. Hat's off to all of you pedal makers who happen to read this post.

Best,

Doc :BEER

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Give a Hotcake a try. Not going to be 100% Klon, but a great sounding pedal, very versatile that shares some characteristics.

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i think it looks great in the box that bill uses....it looks almost like an antique! adds to the whole vibe of the klon IMO!

awesome pedal. i put mine on ebay for about an hour then realized that i was a complete idiot!

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Never tried a Klon. However, the Klon OD model is the best OD, IMO, on my Boss OD-20, for rhythms and lead. I know it can't compare, but it definitely got me gassing for one!

11. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Most any circuit can be reverse engineered and if it can it probably was. That said, Im not sure whats in a Klon but if its anything like the Carb, taking off the epoxy will disintegrate some of the NOS glass parts.

Many cheaper pedals have been compared to the klon but in my opinion nothing sounds like it. Even the Carb has been compared to it which I dont really agree with.

Part of the high cost goes into part sourcing and hand tuning which plays a big part in what makes certain pedals sound better and/or more distinctive than anything else youll find. Large companies dont benefit from this type of build and most smaller companies dont have the ear/knowlege that bill has to find tune.

It would be nice if everyone had the integrity to just buy it and enjoy, or not buy it, but thats not always the case. Unfortunately some peoples curiosity and greed will get the better of them which is why youll find an awesome circuit like the CJOD gutted beyond recognition. Hopefully there is enough customers with the integrity to pass on cheap clones.

Bottom line is, great creative minds have always been copied and always will be copied. The thing to remember is that with the knowledge and ear that Bill has (or any of the really good builders) - they can always create something else groundbreaking so dont really need to fear copies.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Apparently the signal routing is quite important in the Klon-there's another big post about it where Bill (the builder) argues that using the same components won't get the same result if they're not in the same physical locations. Anyway, I"m inclined to agree, try before you spend $349, but if that's the sound you want, buy it from Bill and keep him in business!

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

The Klon is unique in tone...although, for a clean boost i can get my RC within a knats whisker of the Klon. Overdriven, different story.