Klons?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andrewnielson, Feb 2, 2008.

1. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

all of you that play thru these, what is your input?
    i'm possibly trading my landgraff, but is it worth the tone difference?
    any advice would be great!

2. Sherman

Sherman Member

I have both and in IMHO they are pretty different. The Klon is really just a boost (a great one at that). I love it's simplicity and the magic that it adds to certain rigs. The LDO is an OD that has a lot more versatility w/it's 3 way switch. I don't know if I would choose one over the other. If you can swing it get both and then let your ears tell you which one you can't live w/out. If you're like me, you can't live w/out either of them and you'll keep them both. LOL. Good luck.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Correction: the Klon is an OD, but yes, a lot of people prefer to use it as a boost. Including me. But I also like to add in some OD gain and compression to taste when stacking. The gain knob, and the builders intent, make it more than and different from a boost. It's a magic color box!!

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I think the Klon is one of the few pedals out there that does something know other pedal does. It is magic.

5. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

6. johan

johan Member

IMHO the Klon is a one-trick-pony (but what a pony!)
    Klon is the King of Clean Boosts. It adds some grit if you want to but any more gain than 11-12 o'clock and the magic is gone. It's amazing at what it does and mine is nailed to my pedalboard but don't expect it to be half as versatile as a LDO (or MOD).

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Maybe Im alone but the Klon is not much more than a paper weight to me...I was far less than impressed with them. I think there are far better OD's out there as well as far better boosts out there...

8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I tried removing my Klon from my board and I think that lasted all of about 30 minutes of rehearsal time. I keep it first in my chain (sometimes I put a fuzz in front of it) with the gain around 11 o'clock. I love it. I agree that it's one of the few pedals that does something no other pedal can do.

9. burner

burner Member

I agree.
    I didn't find anything so magically special or appealing about it.
    Now, looking at the prices they are demanding today, I just don't understand why the hoop-la.

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I just can't seem to replace it, though I could use the room on my board, the money in the bank...its just a clear boost for me - but taking it away feels like taking away part of my amplifier circuit. With it I can carry my little Goodsell Super17 to any gig, and either mike it or not - and sound wide and spacious and dialed in at the edge of things - with a tele or 335...what's that worth?