Klotz cable twice as good as Sommer ? Looking for good Bang for $$

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by valen, Oct 5, 2006.

1. valen

valen Member

I have decided to upgrade my 20 year old Whirlwind cables to the best bang for the buck cables I can find. I am in the camp that says that in a band situation most people inlcluding me will not hear the difference. I am looking for a good transparent cable. No accentuated hights or lows, just pure transparent tone. I want to do better than George L. I play in a cover band so we are all over the map in terms of Clean/OD/Rectified tones. My amp is a Mesa Tremoverb combo. Guitars are strats and Anderson equipped Humbucker guitars. I have done the research and see the Sommer Spirit as a good value cable. The Klotz also looks good but is almost twice the price. Is it twice as good ? I dont mind paying the price of the Klotz if it is really that good or that much better than the Sommer.

In my view the performance vs $$$ curve dimishes quickly the higher you go so i don't see the need to spend $200 on a cable even if it is better.

I don't want to start another long cable thread (read them all) but I am in the best bang for the buck cable for say $40 - $80 for 15ft. Like I said I don't mind paying more if it really is THAT much better. Feel free to suggest other brands if they are better value. I am not looking to save money but I refuse to spend money foolishly.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

DiMarzio's cables are excellent value and fared very well in a Guitar Player shoot-out a few years back...

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Did you ever hear of the "Law of Diminishing Returns"?

It means that as the quality and price go up you get ever smaller improvements for ever larger cost. Cords are a great example of that.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I was on the same bang-for-the-buck cable search a year or two ago.
    I'm stuck on Canare for eveything. Mono, Stereo, 1/4", XLR, Studio, Patch....everything's Canare. You can buy in bulk for $0.50/ft +/- and make the cables yourself. You don't have to spend a lot $$$$ to own quality cables.

I think 90% of that market is phsycological and a bunch of hype. We've been brainwashed into thinking we gotta have better, and that's there's something else out there. Well there's always gonna be something better out there, something worse, a better player than you, someone new, etc., etc. etc. I'm just trying to bring some reality and common sense to these kinds of threads.

But if you got $$$ to spend. By all means, go find the cable that makes you most happy with your tone. I'm all for that!!!!

5. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I went with Bayou cables (I believe he uses Canare?) for mine and I love them. Not overly expensive and sound great! I would say look there. Also, as said above, if you can make it yourself from good cable, try that maybe? Good luck! :AOK

6. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I'm using Soomers between Guitar & Board and Board & Amp and using Klotz cables on pedalboard. Love the combination. Period. (Is that short enough?)

7. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

FWIW: Many of my customers who have tried those two as well as the EA Melody and Lava ELC have preferred those to the Klotz and Sommer.

My personal favorite bang for buck cables in no particular order:

EA Melody
    Lava ELC
    Zaolla

All of those are more balanced and neutral IMO than the Klotz.

8. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

In the past I've used George L's (too thin), Canare (too muddy). The Lava ELC was clearly better than either of those, and was reasonably priced too.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've got an ELC 8' RA-RA cable that's great. For a few bucks more, I am thinking future cables might be the Zaolla. Maybe I'll get a Zaolla 8' first and compare them. Honestly, as long as they are quiet, clear, reliable and good sounding, I'm fine with it. However, your definitions of these traits do change a bit when you go from generic cables to a $50 LavaCable ELC, which I still feel is a great value.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If Canare is "muddy" as stated above, I'd have to EQ the heck outa eveything if I went with "high-end" cables. Everything sounds so good right now. Man, thank goodness for EQ - no matter what your price range is!!!!

11. valen

valen Member

What I find interesting cable threads is that in any given month there is a "cable of the month" that is the best bang for the buck. First it was the Sommer, then it was the Klotz now it seems Zaolla. For someone like me who can't just walk into the local shop and try them, choosing a cable is very frustrating. Going by poeples general opinions is the only thing I can do but there is no concensus. Its like walking on jello :crazy

12. landru64

landru64 Member

here's the big question, just to step back a little: why have you decided to upgrade? are you unhappy with your sound in some way or are you just curious to see what kind of improvement a different cable would make?

13. valen

valen Member

Both actually. I find the tone a little muddy. The highs seem rolled off with my current cable. They also tangle up and have microphonic handling noises. I want to see what's new in the cable biz since I bough my cables 20 years ago

14. landru64

landru64 Member

it's a crapshoot- each cable might be 'the one' for you. where are you located? i'd lend you mine- i have melody, klotz and sommer all three....

15. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

I have canare,evidence,mogami,george l and klotz. I like the evidence the most. I like the canare with some things.

16. fuel37

fuel37 Member

I use mogami 2524 with neutrik ends and sommer spirit and both are great. I would go with the sommer for the price (mogami is cheaper but I like the sommer better).

but your right.... playing at volume in a band.... your not gonna notice just changing cables too much (unless you've got some seriously bad cables now). I noticed a slight increase in highs and sustain and a clearer low end (I don't want to say muddiness because it wasn't muddy before or after)

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've gotten close to buying new cables a few times in the past year, and each time I've just stuck with my GL's. While I can hear the difference between GL's and Canare for instance (I prefer GL's), I am not drawn enough to make the leap that some other recommended cable will be significantly better than GL, for me, my ear and my rig. Here's my thinking if it helps anyone else:
    - GL's seem to transfer "more" of my signal. I can get my GL's toned down to sound like Canare, but I can't get the Canare to sound like GL's.
    - I re-terminated all of my GL's recently with Lok-Tite, so what little issues I had with GL's should be greatly reduced (although I still prefer solder!!).
    - I reconfigure my board so often, that GL's provide a perfect solution for minimizing excessive cable run - I cut to fit perfectly. I'd be in a never-ending cable purchasing cycle to keep up with my board mods, and I know I'd be running pleny of excess cable, which might defeat the purpose to some extent.
    - The "Cable Summit", which might be one of the better resources on cable specs (even though there is a well-known SNAFU with Zaolla), rates GL's frighteningly high. You can view the specs yourself and they ain't bad!!
    - Overall, for me, I'd rather be playing than spending toooooo much time noodling cables.

On a related point, ever see how long GL connectors, and cable last on the Emporium? Easily one of the fastest selling items I've seen. Plenty of WTB's for GL's and every time someone says that they might switch from GL's to something else, it seems that there's at least one forumite who's right there to say "Can I buy your GL's??"

So don't toss those GL's too fast!

Thought I'd toss in my 2cents.

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey - case in point.

I need to add my new Budda Wah to my board, so I need to rearrange - yet again!!! Where's my X-Acto knife and tube of Lok-Tite??

19. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I just emailed LavaMan with my setup and budget. He shot back his picks according to the budget given.

I ended up with the LAVA ELC's and am very happy.

20. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I have used George L's,Canare, Mogami and Planet Waves. I still have some George L's on my pedals Boards along with the Planet Waves (Pedal Station). I stopped using the Gerorge L's for my guitar cables because they were too thin, were easily tangled and the connections weren't always solid. My favorite for guitar in 20 & 25 ft lengths are the Canare. I do not hear any muddiness at all especially when comparing to George L's. I have been considering the Klotz but I too think this is a game of diminishing returns and can't justify the expense.

I'm always looking to upgrade my cables but think I'm pretty happy with the Canare. If I decide to try any new cables I'll contact LavaMan and go with his recommendation. There was an article about him in Vintage Guitar Magazine and he's going to be my cable supplier in the future.

As we all know, sound is a subjective thing. You need to find what sounds best to you.

Regards,

Tom

2005 PRS Modern Eagle Charcoal 20th Ann., 2005 PRS CU24 20th Ann.Artist,toggle switch push/pull- Blue Matteo ; Two 1997 PRS Santana 1's, both Sunburst ; 1965 SG Special - White ; 1963 Fender Strat- sunburst ; 1964 Gretsch Country Gent-dark walnut ; 2001 Gibson ES-335 - natural ; 2004 Gibson Firebird - white ; 1966 Fender Electric XII ; 1989 Fender Start Plus Deluxe - greyburst ; 2006 Godin LGX-SA 3 voice - Cognac burst ; 2003 Brian Moore i1.13 3 voice - greyburst ; 1969 Fender Tele- Blonde ; 1969 Fender Esquire - Blonde ; 1969 Fender Tele Bass - Blonde ; 2005 Gibson Flying V - white ; 199? Jackson Randy Rhodes V - black ; 199? Peavey Wolfgang - cognac burst ; 200? Gretch Duojet 1957 RI - black w/bigsby ; 2005 Gibson SG Special - black ; 1968 Vox Sidewinder Bass- cherry ; 1965 Silvertone amp-in-case 2pickup - red sparkle ; 1989 Takamine EF360S ; 2004 Taylor 314CE ; 2004 Taylor 814CE ; 197? Bruno Royal Artist acoustic

Amps:
    1965 Pro Reverb,1966 Vibrolux Reverb, two 1968 Super Reverbs, two 1968 Vibrolux Reverbs,1968 Princeton Reverb, 1968 Deluxe Reverb, 1968 Bandmaster Reverb, two 1969 Bandmaster Reverbs, Vox AC15 2x10, Vox AC15TBX, Marshall DSL 401,Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Pedals:
    ADA Flanger w/RI Foot pedal(Vintage),Analogman Stereo Chorus, (2) Analogman ,Bi-Comprossors,Analogman SunFace(NKT 275),BJF Honey Bee Overdrive,Boss Line Selector LS-2,Boss Equalizer GE-7,Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan,Boss Power Supply PSM-5,(5) Boss Chromatic Tuners TU-2,Boss DD-20 Giga Delay,Boss Metal Zone MT-2,Boss BF-1 Flanger(Vintage),Boss DM-2 Delay,Boss Delay DM-3,(2) Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble,Boss Bass Chorus CE-2B,Digitech Whammy II,Digitech FX-17 Wah/Vol,Digitech Bass Driver(X-Series),Digitech Jam Man,(5) Ernie Ball Volume Pedals,EH Screaming Bird Treble Booster,EH Small Stone Phase(Vintage),EH Big Muff PI(Vintage),FoxRox Captain Coconut II,Fulltone ’69 Fuzz,Fulltone Clyde Wah,Gibson Maestro Fuzztone (FZ-1A),Hermidia Zendrive,Hermidia Mosferatu,
    Ibanez CS-9 Stereo Chorus,Ibanez TS-9 RI,(2)Ibanez TS-9DX,Ibanez TS-9DX Keeley Mod,Ibanez TS-9 Analogman Mod,Ibanez TS-9DX Analogman Mod,Ibanez Original TS-9(Analogman upgrade),Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah,Keeley 3-Way Rat,Keeley Rangemaster,(2) MXR Distortion+ (Vintage),MXR Phase 100 (Script),MXR Dynacomp (Script),MXR Noisegate Linedriver(Vintage),MXR Micro Flanger(Vintage),
    MXR Loop Selector(Vintage),MXR Power Converter(Vintage),Paul Cochrane Timmy,
    Peterson Strobo Stomp,Peterson VS-II Virtual Strobe Tuner,Pro Analog Dual Drive,Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion,Time Machine Boost,T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus,Vox Big Ben Overdrive,Whirlwind Selector A/B Box