Klotz La Grange cable warranty. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SuperReverb2, Jun 23, 2006.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have two lengths of Klotz La Grange guitar cable. (10' and 20', both purchased about a year and half ago at J Hale Music) About a month ago, the 20' length cut out on me in the middle of a practice (dead as a door nail) with no prior indication that anything was amiss. As the Klotz cables come with a 5 year warranty, I e-mailed J Hale and was informed that I had to send the cable to the US distributor (Gerald Weber at Kendrick) for any warranty work. I subsequently e-mailed Gerald and he told me to send the cable to him (along with his e-mail) and $10.00 US for return shippping. I did, and about two weeks later a box showed up at my door from Kendrick. When I opened the box I was actually QUITE surprised to see they had repaired the cable I sent them instead of replacing it with a new one. They also sent back the offending 6 inch piece of wire that apparently had come apart for some unbeknownst reason. I now have a "repaired" Klotz La Grange cable that has already failed once, with little or no confidence (on my part) that it won't fail again, and to top it off, I now have a cable that is 6 inches shorter than I originally purchased. To be honest with you, (IMHO) this experience had CHEAP written all over it.
    Once I started using the Klotz guitar cables I basically stopped looking for anything else, and I was just on the verge of buying some of their speaker cable to put between my 1 x 12 and my Fuchs, but after this "experience" I'm not too sure if I want to continue with their product at this point in time.
    I e-mailed Klotz in Germany five days ago, and have yet to hear from them, and no, I haven't as of yet, e-mailed Gerald at Kendrick.
    I work in retail (music) and we carry a fair amount of "higher" end cables, (Planet Waves, etc.) and if a customer comes to us with a dead cable we replace it no questions asked, (provided it doesn't look like he's put it through a blender, ha ha) and then fight it out with the company later. (to date, we have had NO problem with any of our distributors operating that way, and we have satisfied many a customer)
    I'm NOT trying to start a "Bash Kendrick or Klotz" thread here, but I would be interested to hear from my fellow forumites in as far as whether they would be satisfied with the way this warranty was handled, or whether they would have expected a new cable as I did.
    Basically am I out to lunch, or do I have a legit gripe here?

Thanks for your time

Chuck

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I suppose it depends on what the warranty says. Most cable companies offer repair...not replacement.

FWIW....I have been selling Evidence Audio cables for about two years and I have had only one warranty claim....Tony did replace that cable with absolutely no questions asked.

Of course...that's Tony for ya'. :D

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried to find the "warranty" printed somewhere, but I couldn't seem to locate it. :eek:
    I guess what irks me the most is the fact that I now have a shorter cable. I realize to some that 6 inches might be considered "splitting hairs" but I have to wonder how much shorter this cable has to get (if in fact it fails again) before they would consider replacing it.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

yeah, that's kind of lame. they should have just replaced it. you ought to write to the manufacturer in germany.

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Tried that. So far 5 days and no reply. :)

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

LOL no wonder Kendrick doesn't know what to do with bum Klotz cables. From their website:

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/cable/

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Typical from Gerald.

My first Klotz bought from Kendrick failed the first day, bad solder joint in the plug.

8. landru64

landru64 Member

i wasn't going to say anything, but it doesn't surprise me, nor does this story...

next strategy is to call them. i'd do it. i'd make a big scene. klotz would be better off if say lavacable were the distributor....

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

If they can't solder a guitar cable, imagine the problems with their amps!

(actually, I did use one of their "Do Awls" as a loaner for 3 months, and depsite weak tone, didn't break down)

10. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

As I carry Klotz, next time you have any problems I will provide you with a new replacement cable. Gerald is the only source for Klotz in the US and I buy in bulk from him, so I can let him know what I did.

11. landru64

landru64 Member

it's weird that i've never heard anything good about their amps....

12. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

If the cable is for sale, with like a 3 day warranty, feel free to PM me with a price.

13. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I really like the Klotz as well as the Evidence cables that I bought from LavaMan....

And, I AM GLAD that I DID buy them from LavaMan!!!!!!!!!

14. Will Little

Will Little Supporting Member

15. CBETONE

CBETONE Member

I know this is an old thread, but I recently had a Klotz Lagrange guitar cable develop a Dead Short, about 6-8" from one end. I quickly replaced both jacks with Neutriks, that I stock at home, just assuming, but found it was the actual cable that was shorted, internally! (I found the shorted area with cable test eqpt we have at work) I've worked in medical electronics/x-ray repair-calibration for 31 years, and have never seen anything like this before. It showed NO SIGN of damage externally, or even internally,after removing the shorted piece, and dissecting it. I could never find what was causing the actual short.Very bizarre.I found this thread, and have known Gerald Weber for years, (and knowing how ****ing cheap he is), I decided to drop him an email, just to see, out of curiosity, if he would admit to having seen this before. I offered to send it to him, fully PP for return. He of course tap-danced, declined me sending him the cable, acted like he had never heard of this, but yet recommended I cut off "a couple of feet", which suggest that's what they do...It's not a new Lagrange cable, probably long out of warranty anyway, but I'm done with Klotz cables. I love Evidence Audio cables sound, (or lack thereof), but they are so stiff, it's almost not worth it. I'm just curious if any others have experienced this, as of late..