1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Klub Komet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by murkat, Sep 28, 2006.

1. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

Well, I see a few strands of threads here and there in regards to the Komet amps. I would like to see one thread that would share info in regards to these great amps so all of us can learn, experiance, share, and all that crap.
    So, I guess I will start....
    I have Komet concorde #5. I primarily plug it into my old marshall cab with stock greenies. I primarily play my Hamer standard custom thru it. No pedals (yet.. but non needed).
    [​IMG]
    I have been tube swapping lately and playin with bias settings. I would like to know what others have come up with as well. PreAmps~ mine came stock with sovteck LPS's, I swapped them out (v1,v2) for some reissue Tungsols I ad layin around, great improvement, to me, the tone opened up and became full with the tungs compared to the LPS's, and I did not care for the tungs in my Marshalls...mmmm. The stock Svetlana EL 34's is were I am having a little hair pull on thou. If I run them 27ma and under, with the volume at noon,the distorted clipping will have a zzzzzzzzlllle on top of the notes and chords. Irrritaiting me all to hell. i have taken the ma's up to 30/31 on the tubes and have toned out alot better. More chewy and chunky and just a little bit of that high zzzzzzzllle. If I turn it up, I am going to cook them? Or possible have to check out another pair of El34's for comparisons. the zzzzzllle annoys me all to hell...

2. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Hey Murkat, congrats on the Concorde. I have Concorde number 3, and Komet 60 number 206. I play strictly Gibson Les Paul historics with Burstbuckers through it. Both of my Komets are biased in the 27-30 ma range. In the Concorde I have a full complement of NOS Tesla (non-JJ) tubes. I have tried hotter (32 ma) bias settings but did not hear an appreciable difference, so put them back down to 27-30 ma. The Komet 60 has original Svetlana =C= El34s, but the premap tubes are NOS Tesla (Not JJ) 12AX7, NOS Mullard in V2, and another NOS Tesla in V3. The rectifier is a NOS RCA.

I play these amps through a Germino 4x12 with Celestion Heritage G12H30s, or a THD 2x12 with Vintage and Longhorn speakers.

Could you be more specific on the zzzzzlllle you're getting. I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about either one of these amps. These two amps are my favorites and the best two amps I have ever heard in person. My FTR37 certainly has a beautiful clean sound, but so do both of the Komets, and the overdrive is simply the tone I want to hear.

I probably haven't helped you at all, but I'm afraid I have not experienced anything negative with these two amps. If someone asked me what is the one thing I'd like to see done differently on the Komets, i would be unable to come up with a single suggestion. In my mind, they are the perfect amps, and neither one is going anywhere.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Nice Explorer!

4. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

Thanks! Its evel twin with a floyd is being built as we thread.
    No dissapointments here with the concorde, I just "hear" somethin that I know I can rectify and with others input, no pun intended, come up with some great tube combos dialed in. I am just in the dialing in phaze :)

5. m3g

m3g Member

what happend to the komet badge on the head? :confused:

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

You should be able to bias up to 40ma or so- you will burn tubes quicker though. Watch for red plates! I like 32 ma or so, that's where I have mine set on those videos... I'm interested in some tube swapping but I was having so much fun with the stock ones, I just left them in for the time being...

7. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

Thanks for the tip.

8. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Here's my Komet Blinky proto...named "Birthday Girl" with some of her friends. John Speck and I had a little ampfest over at his house and this is a pic from it.

As far as tubes I'm running all NOS Mullard, Amperex etc. but am hunting desperately for some lower priced alternatives. I just picked up some GTEL34M with a 7 hardness rating and a set of the russian Mullard re-issues. I'm worried the GT's will not break up as soon As I'd like because of the hardness rating but that's all the store had. I'd like to find some of the Tesla tubes mentioned and give them a go. Anyway I'll report back when I do...

[​IMG]

9. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

I just like tobe different.

10. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Komet Blinky proto? :drool Did Ken name her?

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

What is the Blinky proto? Is it a 60? I have a 6V6 proto (red with white cloth V).

12. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Hey Joe!

I think it's the proto - or one of them - for the KF50/ Limited/Concorde. Ken had initially called it Blinky's Revenge.
    Dug the DOS out - pics later this weekend for you.

Cheers

Nigel

13. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

wonder who, or what, "blinky" is?

14. sinner

sinner Member

From a thread over at the LPF about "Blinky's Revenge" (of course, we now know the name Concorde has been given to the production KF50 amp):

From Hogy:

" There's a bit of confusion here I'd like to clear up.

The amp in question has taken on several names.
    The Limited is the bubinga/maple hardwood cabinet , NOS tubes version. It was limited to 30 amps and they are gone.
    Some refer to this amp as the KF-50, which was a project name that was thrown around and stuck.
    Ken Fischer's pet name for the amp is "Blinky's Revenge". The circuit is based on a one off Trainwreck prototype/mod Ken did years ago. That amp had a blinking pilot light and hence was named "Blinky".

All of those names refer to the same amp.
    That amp is now beginning to ship in a totally redesigned new head box, with current tubes, and will have a new, official name. In this latest form it will be a standard amp in the Komet lineup, along with the unchanged Komet 60. Sound samples are currently being recorded and will appear on the Komet web site as soon as they are done.

If all this sounds confusing, the important part to know that technically there is no difference between the hardwood Limited and the new production amp. Same circuit, same parts, same attention to detail.

Here's the Komet lineup:

-Komet 60, can use various output tubes, available unchanged since '99
    -Komet 80, dedicated KT88 amp, limited run, sold out
    -Komet Constellation 30, 4 EL84 tubes, available
    -Komet Limited, dedicated EL34 amp in hard wood box, limited run, sold out
    -Production version of Limited, new name TBA, available.

Hogy, Komet Amplification
    www.kometamps.com "

15. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

^ now thats cool.

16. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

an update... #05 does not care for "hot" pickups.... anything above 9 rz will fuzz it out when you all up on the volume on the guitar.
    Komet airbrake + concorde = good. I do loose some chime, sustain, and fundamentals thou, but its not a perfect world anyway and neighbors at bay... somewhat. More later.

17. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Yes, Ken named her.

18. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I think the amps are biased at 32 from Komet.

19. 5150loveeddie

5150loveeddie Member

Any chance for some gut pics of a Concorde??

20. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Sure...just buy a Komet...then you can take all the pictures you like!! :AOK