Kluson Style Tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Slotunes, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Anybody know if there are any after market versions that actually stay in tune.Every Gibson/PRS that has these has had tuning problems.Hell, Im wondering if my hearing is going!Thanks in advance.

2. megatonic

megatonic Member

I work at Chandler guitars and Paul mentioned to me a while back that he had quite a few sets on hand, and would probably sell at a relatively screamin' deal. The # at the shop is 530-899-1503. Ask for Paul & tell him Aaron sent you.

I prefer the Kluson style tuners over others for a coupe reasons:

First you don't have sharp string ends sticking out to poke your fingers with.

Secondly - You can wrap them so that there's absolutely no string slippage. I've had no probs with them at all and highly reccomend them.

Plus they just have that cool vintage vibe.

later

3. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

If that doesn't work out for you, have you looked into the TonePros modded Klusons?

Suppozed to be the shiznit.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

True story. TonePros have taken the baseplate and cast it (the rather weak point of the original design), but the housing seems to be stamped. The more important feature to some is that the buttons are not the greenish cast as in the Gibson/Grover vintage style, but nice ivory sort of hue.

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

I have used Gotoh tuners as replacements for Kluson types used by Epiphone (total ****), and they have worked out very well. AllParts sells them.

6. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I thought the new Tonepros ones looked funny, or changed the design so they didnt appear quite right? A fuzzy recollection of mine...

Getting Schaller Klusons installed on my Tokai 335 today. They are replacing the stock Gotoh's which dont do it quite right. I'll make a report when it gets back in my hands :)

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What color do you need, I just posted some gold "Kluson" tuners that I bought and never used in the emporium yesterday.

8. ES350

ES350 Member

The Schallers Kluson repros are pretty good---I like the lighter weight Klusons when I want to avoid the balance problems and tone change you seem to get with heavy Grover/Schaller metal buttons and housings (ok, it's subtle, but I hear it, esp. on archtops).

9. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Gotoh is the best hands down.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

+1:)

Absolutely NO problems with Gotoh on my Strat