KM184 v. Studio Projects C3-clip inside

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Greggy, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I have recorded 2 quick takes in the clip below, 1 with each mic. The recording chains were identical, no chorus, reverb, or eq. No fx added just guitar to board. Specifically, here is the chain: Small body parlor acoustic->mic->Presonus MP20 mic pre->Lexicon MPX 500 for A/D conversion->digital input of Roland VS1880. That's it. Left all settings the same for both takes. The only difference between takes is mic position. The C3 sounded bad at the KM184's sweet spot, and vice versa. So I thought it only fair to record each mic at its best mic position. Other than that, all other recording chain variables are the same. In addition, I set the C3 to the cardioid polar pattern and turned off all filters (10 db pad and high pass filter) to better match the KM184. Here it is, let me know which you prefer. Thanks.

Edit-for the sake of full disclosure, light compression was added to each take, compressor settings were identical for each.

mic comparison clip

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I like the second clip - more open and natural.

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Thanks for your thoughts.

The first clip is the C3. To my ears the KM184 is slightly fuller and, as you say, open and natural. Both are bright to my ears. I've posted another comparison clip in another thread with a full backing track for better context. Thanks.