Knight Tube Tester

Britishampfan

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew what model of tester this is and if anyone knew how to perform the gas and short test.

I know how to do the emission test and the tester works good but no manual. Was a hand me down from my dad, he knew how to do the emissions test but that was it.

Sorry for the laptop pic. Thanks
Photoon2012-05-01at0102.jpg

Last edited:

SatelliteAmps

Did you read the manual that Walt linked to? I did and in less than 20 seconds found the info you are looking for. It is a version of the 600 series. Not sure which one, but the manual covers all of them.

Britishampfan

Did you read the manual that Walt linked to? I did and in less than 20 seconds found the info you are looking for. It is a version of the 600 series. Not sure which one, but the manual covers all of them.

Yes, of course I checked the link and read the info. The tube chart is different, there are no numbers in parentheses and some are highlighted in bold on my tester. I`m hoping the tests are the same.

Last edited:

Prairie Dawg

The KG600A, B and C are all pretty much the same basic emission tester, some difference in socketry, hopelessly optimistic in many cases but nevertheless useful. The -B and the -C have the sockets that allow you to test compactrons and other such devices. You could probably upgrade to do this with the proper sockets and the -B or -C schematic.

Many were sold as kits by Allied Knight-still in business as Allied Electronics- that Dad built one winter at the kitchen table because he was damned if the TV repairman was going to take him to the cleaners for a service call again.

I've had a few and like them pretty well. They're very useful for testing the old 4-5-6 and 7 pin old style base tubes like the 807, 45, 50 and the 80.

They're about in the same class as the Eico 625. You can sell the Dakaware switch tips to your friends with Telecasters.

Here's a link to lots of data. http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/knight/600tube/

Now....here's where it gets interesting.

One day I took a new 6L6GC and tested in on my Hickok mutual conductance tube tester. I carefully noted the needle deflection with a protractor. I then put that same tube into my Eico 625 and carefully adjusted the load control to get exactly the same angle of deflection.

I then wrote down the load setting that I had thereby arrived at and proceeded to test a series of tubes carefully noting their deflection with the load setting at the new figure.

Testing these in the Hickok, the results were awful damn close.

Not bad for an Iowa hillbilly.

Britishampfan

Awesome thanks guys! He has got a hickok for me too. He thinks it`s funny how tube amps are still in use and are the favored guitar amps. I got a bunch of nos tubes from him too. I think he actually has an old dime store tester in a shed somewhere.

He collected all that old stuff over the years. He`s got old gas pumps with the glass way up high lined up in rows and all kinds of stuff. Old minnesotan, build sheds so you can fill them with stuff.

Of course he is quite proud he saved all that old stuff because it is still needed. :)

He tells my ma that he is going to an auction to sell stuff, or a swap meet and comes back with more than when he left. ha ha ha

SatelliteAmps

The old dime store machines are great to look at, but usually test tubes weak on purpose. It sells more tubes that way.

Prairie Dawg

The old dime store machines are great to look at, but usually test tubes weak on purpose. It sells more tubes that way.

That's correct. Most of them were made by Mercury or Jackson.

On one of my travels I found one of those in an old barn where it had been hauled to when the drugstore in town closed up thirty years previous. Nice load of Sylvania stuff down below in minty boxes. I left the tester behind.

Britishampfan

Oh yeah I would`nt want the dime store one, I know they are not that accurate however maybe I should look in the cabinet underneath the next time I`m back there. I know my old ham radio and antenna is around there somewhere too. I know it never got tossed. ha ha

Top Bottom