Knocked sideways by this Roy Buchanan album

MORE BARN

'You're Not Alone'

First off, admittedly I'm quite limited in my taste. I like very little music, because music to me isn't so much 'music' per se as it is moments in time, memories, things like that. So I live on a rotation of the same 20 or so albums and I never get sick of them (my childhood buddy has 6,000 albums/CD's/tapes, and owns the catalog of every Italian prog band there is--he busts on me all the time, but that's another story).

So, it must be really something for an album to hit me like this one did...and I believe it was pretty much universally panned to boot. I'm the kind of person that one or two sounds or bizarre things on an album will hook me and that's it. For this one, although I have a bunch of Roy material, I had never heard it, but one of the titles got me: 'Fly...Night Bird'. It was the three periods in that title that did it...I had to hear this. Who knows? If it was 'Fly Night Bird' or 'Fly, Night Bird', I might have ignored it.

I absolutely love those spacey sounds, that Floyd-ish vibe, and the whole thing just transported me. The Neil cover was so different than all the other versions, it floored me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Roy is ripping on a Gibson (LP?) for this album.

I told my friend that this is a seismic event, since I could count the number of times an album has had this effect on me on the fingers of one hand if I had two missing...

...carry on

JL75

You should consider sitting down with Sweet Dreams: Anthology. Its a go to one stop for many things Roy. Also, theres a live version of the Neil cover on one of the two discs that blows my doors off every time. For me, it MUST be listened to in the dark, dont know why lol.

MORE BARN

You should consider sitting down with Sweet Dreams: Anthology. Its a go to one stop for many things Roy. Also, theres a live version of the Neil cover on one of the two discs that blows my doors off every time. For me, it MUST be listened to in the dark, dont know why lol.
I have much of the material on that, but I know there's a couple of things that can only be found there (Dual Soliloquy?). It's funny, but Roy's sound is sometimes grating to me, I've never gravitated to that super bright Fender tone, and I actually don't like much of the flashy thing he does. But the soul comes through regardless, and for me that's undeniable.

Totally hear you on listening in the dark...that is the way I listen to 'You're Not Alone'. Has to be at night. It's like Neil Young said about 'Tonight's the Night': don't listen to this at 11:00 in the morning...listen to the Doobie Brothers...

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'd also recommend the Sweet Dreams Anthology. Works really well for night driving--it was my go-to for coming back from gigs for a year or so.

chucke99

I pretty much taught myself to play lead guitar by playing along with this album, first side one, then side two, then repeat, again and again and again. I wasn't great (or anywhere near as good as Roy) when I was done, but somewhere along the line it all clicked for me.

gem

I remember that one... I liked it a lot... though I know most people panned it.

Flogger59

'You're Not Alone'

First off, admittedly I'm quite limited in my taste. I like very little music, because music to me isn't so much 'music' per se as it is moments in time, memories, things like that. So I live on a rotation of the same 20 or so albums and I never get sick of them (my childhood buddy has 6,000 albums/CD's/tapes, and owns the catalog of every Italian prog band there is--he busts on me all the time, but that's another story).

So, it must be really something for an album to hit me like this one did...and I believe it was pretty much universally panned to boot. I'm the kind of person that one or two sounds or bizarre things on an album will hook me and that's it. For this one, although I have a bunch of Roy material, I had never heard it, but one of the titles got me: 'Fly...Night Bird'. It was the three periods in that title that did it...I had to hear this. Who knows? If it was 'Fly Night Bird' or 'Fly, Night Bird', I might have ignored it.

I absolutely love those spacey sounds, that Floyd-ish vibe, and the whole thing just transported me. The Neil cover was so different than all the other versions, it floored me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Roy is ripping on a Gibson (LP?) for this album.

I told my friend that this is a seismic event, since I could count the number of times an album has had this effect on me on the fingers of one hand if I had two missing...

...carry on
There are pics of Roy with a Les Paul Pro (Norlin era, ebony board, P90s) on the Sweet Dreams anthology.

SamBooka

Know not of Roy other than the Messiah will come again. Could never get into it. I like this one so far. Like Jeff Beck Group meets Early 70s Floyd.

JMC

Hopefully you also have Live Stock. That lp has been in my rotation since I discovered it in the 70's...

oldtelefart

Roy was unique.
I thought I had all of his records, but I've never heard of You're Not Alone.
Was it from the Alligator records era or earlier?

I'm going to have to get it.

JL75

Other than his '52 "Nancy" Tele, he did for a time use an '83? Anniversary goldtop. Its on the Dancin on the edge album.( I swear Drownin on dry land is the ONLY song ever in my life I have to turn down when I have ear buds in!!) And of course later on he was usin all kinds of different guitars.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I don't much Roy, but like some of what I've heard, but I just wanted to stop in and say that I appreciate your perspective about music and the way you expressed it. We all have a different relationship to music and it's fun to hear about different perspectives.

MORE BARN

Roy was unique.
I thought I had all of his records, but I've never heard of You're Not Alone.
Was it from the Alligator records era or earlier?

I'm going to have to get it.
I think it was his last for Atlantic...some of the songs are on a compilation called 'Guitar on Fire', but for me YNA has to be heard start to finish.

MORE BARN

I don't much Roy, but like some of what I've heard, but I just wanted to stop in and say that I appreciate your perspective about music and the way you expressed it. We all have a different relationship to music and it's fun to hear about different perspectives.
Thanks, appreciate it

Yeah my friend (guy with 6,000 albums) and I are complete polar opposites with music. For him it's either good or bad, period. I tell him I don't like Ray's tone or the way he plays 90% of the time; he says 'I thought he was one of your favorites?'...I say 'he is'...

His brain just can't fathom that...

:phones

EL 34 X2

Gold Supporting Member
My favorite Of Roy's albums are the first 2 studio albums and the aforementioned "Live Stock." I dig every cut on those.

sixty2strat

Know not of Roy other than the Messiah will come again. Could never get into it. I like this one so far. Like Jeff Beck Group meets Early 70s Floyd.
Bought that album one summer at the used record shop 30 years ago. Listened to it all August and got back to college and turned everyone on to it. it became everyone favorite, made a lot of tape coppies. It was our bake album. That is how I described it too my buddies as Blow By Blow meets Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Brings back memories

Trending Topics