• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Knocking down a poly finish

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a few bodies from Rondo, and decided to try turning a poly finish into a satin on one of them. I used the scotch brite and car wax method, and I'm surprised how good it looks. Here's how it went.

The original poly finish. The guitar isn't really this bright red in real life.

I rubbed it for about two hours using a pretty light touch. Maybe about the weight of my hand. Definitely not "elbow grease" pressure.

Then I spread Meguiar's wax on it, and let it dry to a haze. Maybe 20 minutes.

I buffed it out with a cloth. I think I would get a better result with a random orbital sander, but I think if I repeated the whole thing once more, I could totally get the remaining light swirls out. After I did the body, I also did the pickguard. Here's how it turned out:

It's actually a little brighter red than this picture shows. It's really smooth to the touch, and isn't too bad for smudging. I think I'll try polishing it again, then maybe repeat the whole process if I need to, to get the rest of the swirls out.

Stike

Wet sanding 1200 grit wrapped around a flat rubber block will give better results.

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
I know it can be improved, for sure. Would you buff it at all after the wet sanding, or just wet sand and dry it? Seems like for a satin finish, I would want to skip the buffing.

Stike

Yeah for matte no buffing. For more of a satin I'd sand with Micro Mesh with progressively finer grits until you have the sheen you're after.

dporto

Well, there's "flat", "matte", and "satin" - all being a little different (sort of like "shades" of the same color if you will...). It looks pretty "Flat" now. "Matte" would be a little smoother looking (reflect slightly more light - rubbing compound applied lightly by hand will get you there) and the "satin" one step beyond that - maybe a little more buffing but only by hand - but much less than your standard "mirror/high gloss" finish. BTW I don't think wax is going to get you there and it's going to be very susceptible shining up wherever the guitar comesin contact with your arm and/or clothes. Good luck

Trending Topics

Top Bottom