Know of a good, airline-proof Les Paul flight case?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phoenix 7, Jun 10, 2006.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I got a Calton deluxe case for my acoustic years ago and its the ultimate case. I've flown with it dozens of times and it's truly airline-proof. But prices now are ridiculous (over $600). The Gator G-Tour Les Paul case looks good, though a bit heavy -- 27 pounds. Can anyone recommend a good flight case for a Les Paul? I need something that won't get destroyed by the luggage guys (I've seen them THROW my Calton!) or in the baggage compartment? Thanks!

2. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

Yup...see below. It's been to Scotland and back and worked great. I don't fly anymore and it just sits so it's for sale. Make me an offer (trade or outright sale) I can't refuse and it's yours! Here are some of the things on my "list." Univibe, Vintage Big Muff, old Phase 90, Big box Rat. Let me know!
    :BEER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. phoenix 7

Rhino,

That case looks good (as much as I can tell from photos). I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'd like to consider other possibilities before I decide. I need something I can really feel comfortable flying with. Thanks!

4. phoenix 7

So nobody ever flies with their guitars? :confused:

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

6. phoenix 7

I like Hiscox cases a lot (had one for my old Lowden O-38). Am looking into one now.

Yeah, a Calton would be ideal. I think they've got about a 3-month wait. Wish I had more time and money....

Thanks for the replies, guys. :D

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Gator Cases makes an ATA approved Les Paul flight case. It's 7 inches thick, & costs around $125 through Musician's Friend. I have one, but have yet to take it on a plane...so I can't tell you how it performs in practice yet. They come with a guarantee, too.

8. Babaji

Babaji Member

...I delivered an old Les Paul and took along my PRS to play at the recent Dallas guitar show in a double Reunion Blues gig bag. It fit nicely into the overhead compartment. The case for the Lester got checked(old protector case). I loaned my two Anvil guitar cases to a friend for shipping his prototypes out to the west coast...No issues!
    Bill

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used this AERO-CASE from Nashville, plenty of miles and flawless performance, But, 56lbs. with the LP in it. there are lighter ones out there from NY Case and the like, But the one offered in trade or for sale in the post above would seem like a great deal.

10. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

phoenix 7,

You get a case yet? Let me know if there's any interest in mine.

11. phoenix 7

Hey Rhino,

Thanks very much for the offer, man. Your case is beautiful and it looks airline proof. I wanted something a bit lighter. I ended up getting a Gator ATA Les Paul case. It definitely seems solid enough and I've been on a number of flights with it with no problems so far. If I flew more often and needed a bullet-proof case, I would have gone for yours. I appreciate the offer.

12. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

No worries...just wanted to be sure you had something before I posted mine elsewhere. Glad to hear what you got is working. Regardless of what you have it in, it's always nerve-wracking flying a guitar!:worried

13. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

What do you guys think of the Gator ATA Les Paul case? I'm thinking about getting one. I don'y fly a lot, just looking for great protection from the back of the truck trips, and also I want a case big enough to carry some other stuff in it.