Koa stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by himey77, Jul 30, 2006.

1. himey77

himey77 Member

Does anyone have any experience with these:

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0265106537

I'm looking for a good strat and I am able to get anything at cost from GC. I played this Special Edition Koa Strat and I fell in love with the feel of the neck. It played much better than any Mexican strat I played in the store and the construction and setup was top notch.

From what I understand, the body is basswood with a Koa top. I'm not very educated when it comes to wood types and the sounds they produce, but the finish is beautiful.

These guitars are made in Korea and I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding that fact as well. I also have questions about the bridge and tuners. Do you think this will hold up for the long term or will I be in for replacements?

Lastly, I'm not in love with the Seymour Duncans Alnico Pro pickups. I'll probably swap them out for Texas Specials since I love the warmth and bass of SRV.

I've been playing guitar for 10 years and this will only be second guitar I have every bought, so this is quite a big deal for me. (I am currently playing a PRS Mccarty) Would I be better of spending a little more cash on something American? :jo

2. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

None with a Strat, but I did play the KOA Tele at my local dealer yesterday and was quite impressed, especially with the price.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

It is a venere top. Not a bad guitar, but if you get stuff at cost, get something better.

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

What he said, the top's pretty but that's it no tone production there. If it feels good and the price is right, go for it, but if your gonna change allot on it you'd be better of with some thing your liking the feel of first.

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Funny you should post this, did some strat drooling today and saw both the koa strat & tele. Yuck is my impression, especially for what they sell for.

Now the new MIM standards are waaaaay nicer imho.

6. himey77

himey77 Member

For me, the best feeling and sounding strat is the SRV signature, but that is a little out of my price range. I'm sure the Texas special pups have alot to do with the sound.

What kind of strats should I be looking at that have a selling price under $1000?

7. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

You have several great choices for under a grand:

American standard

Jimmy Vaughn strat

Deluxe Player (a GREAT strat for the money)

60th anniversary standard

Robert Cray strat

Don't forget the used market too.

8. go7

go7 Member

Don`t restrict yourself to one brand ie Fender.IMHO there are many fine guitars available.If you were buying a car would you only look at one manufacturer? Check things out,The used market has some great deals.I have 5 Tele`s and 1 is a Fender.It`s a lovely guitar But so are the other`s.

9. himey77

himey77 Member

That is good advice, but I have a few concerns regarding that recommendation.

The first issue is that I can get get any NEW guitar from GC at cost, which usually means that I can get a new guitar for the same cost as a used one. Also, even though I could probably score a really good deal on a used strat from eBay or the TGP emporium, I want to PLAY the guitar before I buy it. For a while I was set on getting a MIJ '62 Reissue from Ishibashi. I had heard such great things about the neck and quality of the MIJ reissues. Well, I actually had a chance to play one and that particular guitar was NOT for me at all. Every single guitar is different so I need to try before I buy.

Secondly, GC does not carry any other strat style guitars except for the occasional G&L. That's why I'm only interested in Fenders. Plus, I really, really want a FENDER. Personally, its just something about the headstock shape, the history, etc. I know I'm limiting myself here but... whatever.

Moral of the story: I'm going to play every single strat in the building before I buy one.... :JAM

10. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I feel the same way and I don't think your'e limiting yourself at all. Fender does make good stuff and offers a lot of choices.