1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Koa Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by weekapaugh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. weekapaugh

weekapaugh Member

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Probaly plays real well..........but the Basswood = no spankage for me. I'll pass..........

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I played the Koa Tele and Strat a couple of weeks go. I thought that they both sounded good. The Tele however weighed about 2 pounds more that the Strat.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

It's just Koa veneer over basswood...?

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

What's wrong with basswood? I had a Japanese strat which had a basswood body and I absolutely loved that guitar.

Does anyone actually know why Leo & the boys picked ash and alder for Fenders in the first place? I guess it was just readily available and relatively cheap, 'cause that was Fenders politics about nearly everything back then. I've heard basswood is a good tonewood and is quite similar to alder in sound.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with Basswood, but that ain't no "koa" guitar; it's a koa topped guitar.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep, I agree that it's pretty weird to market and name it as a Koa guitar when it's only a veneer. I somehow feel a bit suspicious about veneers and other "pancake solutions". Don't know why, I guess there's a good chance it doesn't matter that much anyway.

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i with you on that one, if it's gonna be topped, top it with something for tone(and looks) not *just* for looks

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

Nothing "wrong" with basswood in the right guitar, wouldn't be my first choice of wood for a Tele (or second)

My question is why is it called a "Koa Tele" and not a "Basswood Tele"

;)

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That was my point. Nothing wrong with basswood.......Tom Anderson uses it religously and I think he knows a thing or 2 about Tone wood [​IMG] but its far from my first choice for a tele unless you plan on sticking 2 Humbuckers in there and not looking for spankage. The name is obviously Fender's attempt to market the instrument as a custom Instrument. Not Cool at all.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Koa and basswood Tele that I played, weighed 10 pounds. I would hate to see weight of a sold Koa guitar, as thick as a Tele. Thats why Koa is normally used for acoustics, not solid bodies.

12. selahvie

selahvie Member

I don't think they're trying to market it as a custom instrument. The name is merely descriptive of the guitar. I guess they could have called it the "Special Edition Koa-top Telecaster" but I think that's splitting hairs. I'm pretty sure no one is going to think "wow, an solid koa guitar for $700 bucks" and buy it without reading the description. For those that have played one, what did you think of the SD Alnico Pro pickups?

13. dennyman

dennyman Member

i saw one today. it looked nice. it's made in Korea.