Koa Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by weekapaugh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. weekapaugh

weekapaugh Member

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Probaly plays real well..........but the Basswood = no spankage for me. I'll pass..........

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I played the Koa Tele and Strat a couple of weeks go. I thought that they both sounded good. The Tele however weighed about 2 pounds more that the Strat.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

It's just Koa veneer over basswood...?

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

What's wrong with basswood? I had a Japanese strat which had a basswood body and I absolutely loved that guitar.

Does anyone actually know why Leo & the boys picked ash and alder for Fenders in the first place? I guess it was just readily available and relatively cheap, 'cause that was Fenders politics about nearly everything back then. I've heard basswood is a good tonewood and is quite similar to alder in sound.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Nothing wrong with Basswood, but that ain't no "koa" guitar; it's a koa topped guitar.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep, I agree that it's pretty weird to market and name it as a Koa guitar when it's only a veneer. I somehow feel a bit suspicious about veneers and other "pancake solutions". Don't know why, I guess there's a good chance it doesn't matter that much anyway.

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i with you on that one, if it's gonna be topped, top it with something for tone(and looks) not *just* for looks

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

Nothing "wrong" with basswood in the right guitar, wouldn't be my first choice of wood for a Tele (or second)

My question is why is it called a "Koa Tele" and not a "Basswood Tele"

;)

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That was my point. Nothing wrong with basswood.......Tom Anderson uses it religously and I think he knows a thing or 2 about Tone wood [​IMG] but its far from my first choice for a tele unless you plan on sticking 2 Humbuckers in there and not looking for spankage. The name is obviously Fender's attempt to market the instrument as a custom Instrument. Not Cool at all.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Koa and basswood Tele that I played, weighed 10 pounds. I would hate to see weight of a sold Koa guitar, as thick as a Tele. Thats why Koa is normally used for acoustics, not solid bodies.

12. selahvie

selahvie Member

I don't think they're trying to market it as a custom instrument. The name is merely descriptive of the guitar. I guess they could have called it the "Special Edition Koa-top Telecaster" but I think that's splitting hairs. I'm pretty sure no one is going to think "wow, an solid koa guitar for $700 bucks" and buy it without reading the description. For those that have played one, what did you think of the SD Alnico Pro pickups?

13. dennyman

dennyman Member

i saw one today. it looked nice. it's made in Korea.