KOB 6 knob versus latest model?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Anyone try both yet?

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I've got the latest V. I did some research before I bought it and it seemed more favored the latest. I have that and a PTP Kar Krash and love both of them. I am fairly new to the Menatone stuff but they are clearly more amp sounding then pretty much all the drive pedals I have owned/tried. The Tim/Timmy's were pretty close though.

3. Yutaka

Yutaka Member

Same here - it seemed like the guys who tried the both versions liked the latest version better. I just bought it recently. I like the 3rd position on the voicing and the boost on mine, and I don't think I want to miss those features. I don't know the older versions, but the latest version I have really sounds great. I like it better with 9v adaptor (1spot - I know, it's not recommended) than with the battery that came with the unit. It sounded little too compressed with the battery.

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Thats funny you like the 3rd position voicing as I find it way to bright and noisey unless you keep the gain/treble and presence real low. I like the 1st voicing which really doesn't sound much different then the 2nd. Just a tad more bottom. Its a fantastic drive pedal that can cover lots of ground gain wise. The boost is killer on it also. The only thing I don't like about the Menatone pedals is the hiss seems to be more then normal for drive pedals. Most of the other drive pedals I've tried are clearly quieter but maybe thats why the Mena's sound so good. BTW I use both mine with standard Boss 9v adapters and feel they work fine even though BM does not recommend.

5. Yutaka

Yutaka Member

Actually, now that you mention it, yes, the treble & presence is really low on mine. :eek: It's more or less the position I stopped tweaking and decided not to mess with it. There's a lot of tweaking option on this pedal.

The hiss actually doesn't seem to be a problem on mine, but I usually don't pay attention to those things until other guys in the band complain... Anyway, one of the best pedal purchase for sure.

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

So he recommends using his stuff with batteries only?

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I read something he stated either batteries or a Voodoo Lab power pedal I think it was. I tried my KOTB with both a battery and adapter and really don't notice any difference. Not sure why he against the adapters for his stuff as all his pedals come with 9v taps anyway????

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Yeah, that seems kinda strange right? I dunno... There's not much info on his site. I have a KOTB on the way and will use it with a VoodooLab Pedal Power II, but still, I don't get why an AC adapter isn't okay. Maybe it's just a tone thing?

9. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

To be honest(and I've owned all 4 versions, the newest version twice and the 6 knob twice), and after comparing on multiple occasions the 6 knob version is actually my favorite...I don't really have a use for the extra boost channel, I didn't really like the 2 new voicings and when I was using it I always had the toggle set to classic KOTB mode. Also, I liked the 2 different types of gain you could add on the 6 knob version. Depending on the way you tweaked it you could have an awesome vintage plexi sound, something more modern, or even all out blistering gain if you preferred.

10. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member