1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Koch Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoopy1@isoc.ne, May 22, 2005.

1. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

What do you all think of Koch amps I have a Multitone 2X12 and love it I laso have a Splawn quick Rod head and cab with a line 6 vetta 4X12 also. Let me know thanks

2. Roe

Roe Member

i like the multitone. but the distortion channel needs to be played loud to get a good distorted sound.

3. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

I agree 100% but you cant beat the clean channel, I use my Splawn for the distortion

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

When I first got mine, I loved the ultragain, liked the clean, and tolerated the middle channel. Over time, my affinity for the lead and clean channels diminished and I was frustrated with my inability to get a satisfactory crunch tone. After I got my Soldano Decatone, I can't say I missed the Multitone.

Of course, the Soldano got sold off a while ago because it was too compressed for my taste. :)

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Twintone for about a year & a half now and really love it, especially the clean channel.

--chiba

6. Roe

Roe Member

I've started to use my multitone combo again with a mojo 2x12 and a bogner 2x12. Sounds much better than the stock speakers.
    What I love about it is that it has a lot of headroom. In 50watt mode it is really punchy and loud.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well, I owned Alec's MT before him and it looks like he eventually came to pretty much the conclusion that I came to. It is versatile. It does have 3 different capabilities...but each ultimately left me wanting.

It's fine if you like sort of a Carlos Santana type overdriven tone and don't care much about a great clean sound or mild crunch. I found the clean channel to be what I consider sort of sterile...void of sparkle/personality. The second channel...hmm...don't remember much about it. Guess that says something. The third channel was good for that one Carlos kinda thing or maybe for cookie-monster metal, but it made every guitar sound the same--strats, PRS, Les Paul, whatever--all adopted that generic-sounding heavy overdrive. I can understand someone liking it...someone with radically different taste than me... ;)

8. Roe

Roe Member

well, you can get a good clean and lightly overdriven (rhythm) sound out of it, IMHO

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

I don't know bro
    I think that channel 3 on the MT must be one of the most versatile channels on any amp..........it sounds really great with my LP and SG..........I can hear both guitars sound distinctly different with the MT.........I think that that's one of the Koch's strengths........it allows each guitars sound to come through.............wierd how we all hear things so differently..........Good ...lets keep it like that:)

Rick

10. Roe

Roe Member

To my ears the most sterile of the koch clean sounds is a powertone with 6550s/kt88s that is not played loud.
    The studiotone has the least sterile clean sound - it has a nice sparkel in the high mid.

If your after alot of jangel/sparkle/chime ala vox/matchless/alessandro/bruno/drz a koch might not be the amp for you. Pickups, tubes and speakers are important here so it is possible to experiment with a koch amp.
    To be honest I prefer my alessandro rottweiler for jangly country tones.

ch. 3 doesn't just sound like santana or paul reed smith. It has a nice, compressed clean sound as well. You can get a nice crunchy sound that will satisfy some players. Eventhough I prefer this channel for lead playing, you can get some nice distorted and clean rhythm tones form it as well. it has a nice eq.

ch 2 has a different tone than ch. 1 - more edgy (and distorted) high end. OR perhaps: not so sterile. I think it's best for overdrive or light crunch (i.e. master=10; gain=2,5-4,5).

11. Roe

Roe Member

12. Roe

Roe Member