Koch Loadbox II vs. Mesa CabClone

gpuma

They are in a similar price range, the Koch seems to have more features but how does it sound?

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks a lot!

riffmeister

I agree, the Koch unit looks very nice, multiple levels of attenuation and multiple cab sims. The only thing which makes it not completely awesome is the fact that changing levels of attenuation on the fly would be somewhat difficult (you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the speaker cable from the speaker outs on the unit).

sbrett

I actually had the Loadbox II at one time and ran it with my Mark V. Thought it sounded great, but I'm currently using a Radial JDX and think it sounds better. Of course the JDX has no attenuation or load.

I haven't tried out the cab clone myself, but judging from clips all the direct stuff (cab clone, loadbox, palmer, etc.) sound pretty similar to my ears and any differences could probably be made up to with EQ changes. I think it really comes down to what features you like and the price.

gpuma

I actually had the Loadbox II at one time and ran it with my Mark V. Thought it sounded great, but I'm currently using a Radial JDX and think it sounds better.
This is exactly the configuration I would like to try. I'd love to go around with my Mark V without carrying a cab! So for me the load is a must. that doesn't mean that the JDX is not a possibility, of course. It just gets a little complicated with two separate boxes. Surely it is something to ponder.

sbrett

This is exactly the configuration I would like to try. I'd love to go around with my Mark V without carrying a cab! So for me the load is a must. that doesn't mean that the JDX is not a possibility, of course. It just gets a little complicated with two separate boxes. Surely it is something to ponder.
This is actually a live recording we did a few years ago. Guitar was my Mark V into the loadbox II, no cab, direct to board. Excuse the flubs. The lead I redid with a POD HD500, which I think I screwed up on more than the actual live clip, but oh well.:messedup

gpuma

This is actually a live recording we did a few years ago. Guitar was my Mark V into the loadbox II, no cab, direct to board. Excuse the flubs. The lead I redid with a POD HD500, which I think I screwed up on more than the actual live clip, but oh well.:messedup
You guys sounded pretty good!
Congrats!:band