Koch Studiotone vs. Hayseed 30 !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AchtungBaby, Jul 4, 2006.

1. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

Hello!
    I'm a brand new member and have a few questions about a specific tone that I'm looking for. I mostly play music in vein of ThePolice/u2/lovedrug/Copeland, and I am still in search of "The Amp". I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. Most people have an amp that epidemizes everything that they want in an amp, or pretty close to it. Im still looking for it. I know that I could accomplish this with a matchless, or a hotcat30, but, I dont have that kind of budget!
    I was first intrigued by the Koch Studiotone when I visited the t.c electronics site and the instructor was showing off the g system through one of these amps, and it sounded killer, at a great price too. But, for around the same price, the Hayseed 30 sure does get alot of love around here! So, any suggestions and/or clips would be very helpful. Thanks!

2. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

any takers on the help front??

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Owned a Matchless DC 30, and have played all of the Matchless amps many, many times over throughout the years. I have owned 2 Badcats (black and Hotcat), and I prefer my Vox CC30 by FAR over any of them. Brand new about 800 bucks. Go get em!

4. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

Thanks for the help! By cc30, do you mean the new ac30cc's??

5. Roe

Roe Member

the koch won't hold up with a loud drummer. it also sounds a bit more modern than a vox or hayseed

6. danel59

danel59 Member

I can't comment on the Hayseed but I can comment on the Studiotone. As far as keeping up with a drummer, I use one in an 8 piece band and have no problems but I do admit that I am micing it through the PA but as far as monitoring onstage works fine and sounds great to me! Try it out is all I can say.

Good luck in your search

Dan

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Yes. They SMOKE!! :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

8. AchtungBaby

AchtungBaby Member

Good to hear! I think they may carry one at a G.C pretty close to my house. I'll go check it out! That would be great if it had the tone I'm looking for, because that would be a blessing on the wallet!!!! I could get an ac30ccH and a vox 2x12 cab for half the price of a matchless head ha.

9. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I can't speak for the Koch. The Hayseed is classic AC30 with some excellent options (EF86, half power switch, etc.). It also is hand wired, affordable, and you can get pretty much any configuration you want when it comes to transformers, speakers and cosmetics. There are some excellent clips at the Valvetech website that are representative of the amp.

10. Thorazine Dream

Thorazine Dream Supporting Member

Mine really smoked :dude :dude :dude :dude

When it was finished, I had to air out the room for half a day :messedup :(

11. strattitude

strattitude Member

I dont really like the vox sound very much. I find it too boxy. But I love the studiotone, sort of like mix between a vox and Fender and i love that!

12. gazeglow

gazeglow Member

In my opinion the Korg TBX version of the AC30 beats out the current CC line. I own 2 Hayseeds, so that would give you an indication of how much I like them. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Koch, though.

An AC30-type amp just isn't quite right without Celestion Alnico Blues, Eminence Red Fangs, or Weber Blue Dogs loaded in there. A new Vox with Blues will run you much higher than $800, but the speaker upgrade is worth it, at least to me, if you want the Vox tone.

Hayseeds are a great value (and the tone is killer), but the wait is long, and if you need something sooner than 6 months from now, you may want to check out used (or new) Voxes. The Cage Corsa is apparently a pretty awesome amp too, and it's another cathode-follower EL84 circuit.

13. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

I can second this experience. I tried my Studiotone with my band (drummer and bass player at the time, I've since added another guitar player) and not only did it keep up, the other guys were complaining that it was too loud! I was able to have clean headroom with the clean channel and the od channel had nice crunch.

If you need it to carry more umph, plug it into a 2x12 extension cab with efficient speakers and it will go to the next level!

Paul