Koll Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shawn Tubbs, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Hey you guys,

Anyone played or owned a Koll guitar before. They look kinda cool and vibey. Can't dream of paying for one right now but I'm always looking at guitars that are different for session work. It's funny, I have a Schecter Hellcat USA that I ran over in the parking lot after a session and snapped the neck right off that thing. It was laying there like a corps when the artist I was working for came out of the session and found it...Anyhoos I'm wandering. It's a real quirky three mini hum guitar that's been the go to guitar in sessions. Go figure...I'd be less apt to run over the koll but I wouldn't put it past me..:jo

Did I ask if you guys have ever checked out Koll guitars?:NUTS

Thanks guys

Shawn

2. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

Koll Guitars rock. i have 2 - a duo that is very gretschy & a Tornado that is very tornado-y (that is on his website - the sparkly black 3 pickup one).

You won't drive over a koll because they will take a couple of months to get & will not be cheap.

/i

3. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

I'm not familiar with the Tornado, but the Gretsch ref is pretty close as far as what I experienced. Excellent guitars made by a really good guy with a lot of heart.

They's ain't cheap!

Jet

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've played several Kolls. They all felt & sounded fantastic. I "own" two Kolls, meaning they're ordered but I haven't taken delivery yet. IMHO, actually, they're very reasonably priced when you consider the quality of what you're getting. I've played so many guitars that are twice as expensive and can't even come close to his.

But, good God man, watch where you put that case, OK?

5. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

What a cool looking axe that is - looks like something out of the Jetsons!
    :D
    What do the little yellow buttons and black 'thing' on the upper horn do?

6. webb

webb Member

I don't own a Koll but I've been gassing for one ever since I saw them in the guitar player buyers guide years ago. Everything I've read has been unanimously positive. I plan to order one this year, a tornado in fact.

7. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

[​IMG]I play my Koll Duo at least once a day, it's hands down the best sounding, playing and looking guitar that I have owned. I've have many Boutique and mainstream guitars and none have felt totally right until the Koll. I also have another coming from Saul along with one for my Son!

[​IMG]

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

I played a Koll Super Glide, the Grestchy one with a Bigsby and it was killer, super craftsmanship.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Stevo57 had a killer one. It played and sounded fantastic. I would have no reservations with Saul's work or guitars.

10. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Thanks you guys,

I'll probably get a kinda Gretchy one. One oh these days. Until then it's the parking lot disaster

Shawn

11. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

You better order soon because there is a wait!

JK

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

Everytime I think I've got my patience together waiting for my Kolls, somebody goes and posts a pic like this...and you know it's not only a treat on the eyes, but the hands and ears as well...

13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Glide Jr that's been around the block a few times. I love it. Someday, I'd like to get one of my own...but I'm not sure what I want ... so many options ...

14. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I own the black duo glide on his site labeled "gretsched out " ...it`s my favorite guitar ...period . AND the good part is it`s mine ! Saul will work with you in steering you in the right direction with all the specifics you can dream up resulting in something unique ,functional and impeccable ...I don`t see anyone else out there(for me and my dollar) that makes more sense to order from ...dream it up brother ! If it makes you feel any better .The singer I work for tipped the Koll off the stand during a show and a few moths later an inexperienced roadie did the same after a show ...NO damage !!!!!!! I haven`t tried running it over yet ...2 strikes is enough for me

15. hardtke

hardtke Member

I am a very big fan of Koll Guitars, and I have been surprised to see several posts that say they are 'expensive'. I really don't think so considering they are hand built by a master craftsman. Koll Guitars certainly aren't cheap, but I find his prices reasonable and also a good example that you get MORE than what you pay for. They are pretty incredible guitars, and answering about how they play or sound is not an easy question to answer. Each one is made to customer spec, so it's a variety. Saul really listens to his customers and he builds what you want. I really don't think he couldn't put together a guitar to fill the order.