1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Koll NGD - Super Cubs Rule!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pirateflynn, Jun 27, 2020.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Unlike @Shane S (who got two on one day!), my double Koll guitar day was spaced between a few weeks.

About a year ago I found myself with seven or eight guitars and decided to get it down to about three. My current needs revolve around home playing, writing/arrangements, and recording (home and studio), so the idea is to have a few guitars without much crossover that will work well for that purpose. The guitars I've let go are as good as the ones I've kept or added. I buy, sell, and trade to try new ones I wouldn't otherwise come across.

One I sold was a Koll Super Cub and it has continued to haunt me. I always knew I would get another but it was a matter of timing. I found this used beauty at The Music Emporium and the timing was pretty good so I went for it. Boy, I'm glad I did because this is a remarkable ax. Lightweight and resonant, killer neck carve and the Novak pickups sound amazing in this guitar. I have a hit or miss relationship with gold foil style pickups. I was undecided with them in my last Super Cub but now I think it was a combination of the PUs with the Mastery bridge/tremolo. It was cool but a bit thinner with some sympathetic vibration/minor ghost tones. I could see it being great for certain styles and it definitely worked well for some of my stuff but the wraparound is far more direct and solid - more to my liking.

Saul really makes a beautiful guitar. I feel right at home with them, too. His sense of design blows me away as does his attention to details that make an instrument inviting and comfortable. As cool as they look and play, I'm really impressed by how they sound. These last two Kolls are among the best guitars I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Super Cubs Rule!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the latest pair together

[​IMG]

2. Shane S

Shane S Member

@pirateflynn I am stoked for your latest addition to your Koll Kollection! I saw this grey one at the Music Emporium and thought it looked outstanding. I can’t be 100% positive, but is the grey paint transparent? It almost looks bursted. Either way it is a stunner.

Saul has started working on my 3rd guitar which will be a all Korina Supercub. I look forward to sharing it with the group when it is done. In the meantime enjoy your new guitar.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Jaya, ryverb and pirateflynn like this.
  3. pirateflynn

Yes, it is grey transparent. I think it's an Alder body with Mahogany neck. You can mildly see the grain through the finish. It's super crisp and resonant. A remarkable tone that sounds almost like an acoustic when clean and deadly with crunch. It's suprisingly big sounding for a light guitar. It probably weighs 6.5 lbs but doesn't mess around. It gets it done with authority. The Super Cub model is really versital. I loved seeing the various forms as they come out. I bet an all Korina one will pack a punch! Please keep us updated.

Super Cubs Rule!

Jaya and Shane S like this.
  4. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

The Music Emporium is a dangerous place, wallet-wise.

pirateflynn likes this.
  5. Shane S

Shane S Member

Thanks for confirming the color. I thought so but it was so faint I was not certain. That is great to hear that it sounds massive for such a light weight guitar. After 30 years playing, buying and selling guitars you don't come across many guitars that are that light weight that have authority especially in the low-end.

I will certainly keep you up to date on the progress Saul makes on my Super Cub.

pirateflynn likes this.
  6. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

Love the headstock. And the color

pirateflynn likes this.
  7. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

WOW - congrats!

pirateflynn likes this.
  8. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus Member

Thats cool! HNGD

pirateflynn likes this.
  9. ryverb

ryverb Supporting Member

So cool! Congrats! I too recently acquired a Super Cub from Music Emporium. Mine has Novak WR Humbuckers and Mastery hardware. It's light weight, perfectly balanced tonally + physically and it has a strong acoustic projection that translates very well through the Novak's. Also, the body has a super comfortable thickness, far from a simple slab design! This is my first time owning a Koll but I've played a great number of Saul's guitars being that I also live in Portland. Much love for Saul's work, I've been playing this Super Cub a ton over the last 3ish months and it's pure bliss. (It was awkward timing for me to commit to buy the guitar right before the pandemic hit but I'm thankful I can hold onto it.)

Jaya likes this.
  10. iainmc

iainmc Member

Thats an awesome looking guitar - almost matches the Hi-Rise pedal he makes. color/knobs/scratchplate/pups. Do you have another thread that talks about your tornado?

11. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

@pirateflynn Major congratulations on this beautiful Super Cub!
    Very happy knowing this guitar ended in your hands. I was watching it last week on their website and wondering how cool it would be....
    Can’t wait to hear it in action.
    Play it in a good health!

12. pirateflynn

Thanks, everyone!

@ryverb You did a great job describing the Super Cub. I'm glad you're enjoying yours and get to keep it during these challenging days. I sold five guitars to acquire two. Down to three total but no complaints. I consider myself fortunate.

@iainmc I agree, Saul has quite an eye for design. I do have another thread for a Troubadour I got two days after my birthday. The Troubadour was a planned guitar while the Super Cub suddenly popped up for sale.
    Here's the thread for an outstanding Troubadour:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/saul-koll-art-troubadour.2155231/

@Jaya I know! The Super Cub was on hold for a while than suddenly was available again. That's when I pounced! Thanks, man.

Two new Koll's within a few weeks of each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ryverb, Jaya, Saul Koll and 1 other person like this.
  13. jgreen8240

jgreen8240 Member

Beautiful guitars! Congrats and Enjoy!

Fortunate to own a Junior Glide and a Super Glide - Lots to like about Saul's guitars but the thing that I can never get over is how seemingly effortless both are to play compared to guitars by a lot of other very talented builders. Reminded of it every time I pick one up.

pirateflynn likes this.