Koll Super Cub - NGD - Orange!

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
It's been kind of a crazy few months. We had to suddenly move out of our house and into a rental. The house has sold and we are all settled into a new and nice rental. Now it's time to get back to playing and recording ... so what better way to get inspiration than to procure a new guitar (and amp)!

I've owned two Super Cubs before this one. They each had foil pickups and over time I've decided that style isn't for me. It is not just the Super Cubs. I had another high end guitar with foils and sold that as well. Anyway I've been dying to try a Super Cub in a different configuration so when this baby popped up for sale I grabbed it.

There is something about a thin solid body guitar that just sings and rocks! I had a super nice Custom Shop '62 SG for a while that was cool but my Motor Ave LeMans made me a believer. Now this Super Cub takes me over the edge. The other SC's were great but I love TV Jones FilterTrons and Bigsbys and think this is the ideal setup for this particular guitar.

It's Saul Koll so the guitar plays great. There is something about his guitars that feel right to me. Plus it's outrageously beautiful in this color scheme, a mildly translucent finish, and attractive rosewood board. Unplugged the guitar is punchy and crisp with good definition to the wound strings and a roundness to plain string single notes. The FilterTrons add a little sparkle and authority, kind of like someone used a magic wand on a PAF humbucker. It sounds killer in all three positions, very useful, clean to crunch and beyond. I'd say it's a touch heavier than most Super Cubs, probably because of the Bigsby, about 7lbs. I can't wait to record.

Feast your eyes while I feast my ears!

q9U3y3b.jpg

skiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Congrats, dig that orange with the gold pickguard, and the no fretboard makers. Am sure it sounds fantastic.

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
I tried buying a Koll Super Cub with gold foils 4 years ago. I was I initially given a six month time frame, but by the time it hit a year and was still unknown when I would get it I was able to get a refund. I had really looked forward to it after hearing it reviewed by Premier Guitar. Maybe someday I’ll try again and look for a used one so no waiting time.

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, thanks for all the likes and cool comments! This Super Cub does kind of have a retro atomic age look to it. The color combo and Bigsby probably help it in that regard. For full on Jetson’s maybe have a look at a High Spirit Tomahawk. Here’s Connor Kelly’s Instagram: https://instagram.com/highspiritguitars?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’m sorry things didn’t work out for @Speedbump61 . Yes, keep an eye out for used ones and Koll on Instagram. They pop up here and there.

I’m totally digging this orange beauty. Saul builds a mean machine!

Top Bottom