Koll Super Glide has arrived

Scrutinizer

My long awaited Koll Super Glide Almighty arrived a few days ago, and I am very very happy with the guitar.

The plan for this guitar was to have Saul build his take on the classic ES335, but with the Glide body shape and a gold top. I called Cliff Cultreri at Destroy All Guitars. We talked for hours, came up with some specs, and then passed the spec list to Saul. I let Saul make all wood and construction detail decisions related to the build.

The guitar has a bent lam maple top, bent figured maple sides, carved figured maple back, and a korina center block. The neck is three piece flame maple separated by thin contrasting strips of mahogany (?). The fretboard is wonderful piece of dark rosewood; headstock has an ebony face cap. Body, neck and f-holes are bound in grained Ivoroid, as is the heel cap on the neck. Saul came up with the cool inlays: Ivoroid lines, cut to show the end grain, bracketing small tortoise rectangles. The beautiful pickup rings are made of holly wood. Tuners are Waverly with Ivoroid buttons, pickups are Lollar Imperials, and a Pigtail ABR1 bridge is installed.

Ergonomically, this guitar is very comfortable to hold and play. It is very lightweight, and has good balance. I spec’d a fat C neck and it feels great in my hands – I love fat necks. The SS frets are beautifully rounded and polished. When the guitar arrived, it was still in tune (well, close enough for rock and roll), and there were no issues with setup.

I love the tone of the guitar. It has a very warm voice, with beautiful note definition. The neck pup provides an awesome full-range tone with the tone control wide open, and smoky jazz tone with the tone controlled rolled back. The bridge pup has great presence and cut without being harsh. This guitar seems capable of covering a wide variety of musical styles with a nice range of available tones. I have not played it at higher volume yet, but will be doing so this weekend with my band, and plan to play it at a gig the following weekend. Can’t wait!

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
Not to ignore all the other stellar things about this guitar but I have Waverlys on my Tornado and they're my favorite tuners - easy & accurate. If you ever get a chance to do a sound clip ...

amc

saul koll hit another one out of the park!

congrats on your beautiful new guitar............................

narad

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful, beautiful guitar! Is it mostly 335-esque in it's sound?

Shamus

Silver Supporting Member
Wow!!!! Only thing to make it perfect for me would be a bigsby. Very sweet man.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
holy crap i was NOT READY for that killer flamey back! whoa! That goldy looks RICH! looks like something this guy would own!

guitarman_1

Gold Supporting Member
That is some stunning wood there. Saul's work is as good as it gets, and i bet it sounds incredible too.

Scrutinizer

holy crap i was NOT READY for that killer flamey back! whoa! That goldy looks RICH! looks like something this guy would own!

Love the mini giraffe!

My original request for the sides and back were to have very subtle figure, or even non-figured wood. I did not want anything to detract from the beautiful clean lines of the Glide shape. Saul came up with the idea to have the guitar look like a goldtop with darkback when viewed from the front, and when viewed from the back it looks like a fine archtop. I love the way it turned out.

Scrutinizer

Beautiful, beautiful guitar! Is it mostly 335-esque in it's sound?
I think so, it is definitely in the ballpark. But I don't have a nice 335 with which to compare. FWIW, I was not expecting this guitar to be exactly identical to 335, tone-wise.

UliM

Man, what a beauty! Congrats - the back is exceptional....
I'm almost ready for a second Koll.:drool

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Freaking amazing! I was watching that one come together on FB but I didn't realize how the back looked! JUST STUNNING!

Shane S

Awesome. You guys did great on the specs. Most custom guitars that are not my own I find something that does not appeal to me but I can not find anything that would turn my nose up to and would spec the instrument the same way. Bravo!

Trending Topics