Koll's On Order

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Medicito, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Medicito

Medicito Member

Who else is here is due for a Koll this year or next? If so, what are you getting? Let's discuss!

I have a RE Model Seven String Hollowbody, Spruce Top, Black Korina Back, Neck and Sides etc. due next year sometime...

Who else is due and anyone have pics????

:D:D:D:D:D

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've been told end of the summer....

Duo Glide - maple top, chambered mahogany no f/holes, Skyway trem bridge, mahogany Gibson-scale neck w/rosewood fingerboard. One volume, one tone

Two humbucker routs - still deciding on pickups. Leaning towards a Lollar Imperial in the neck and a TV Jones Powertron in the bridge. I want something warm and round in the neck and something with a little twang in the bridge.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Got a fat archtop coming - I guess technically a New Rose model, but who knows? An old DeArmond pickup, violin varnish finish, and if all the stars and planets line up just right, maybe I'll be seeing it before the end of August? Fingers crossed anyway!

4. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

Yeah, I've got one in the oven.

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

The RE is a pretty rare bird! Apparently Saul won't be building those anymore for some time...you're a helluva lucky soul!!!!!

I am finally about to get my Tornado (hollow korina, braz, board, E-flux bridge p.up, Haeussel P90 soapbar neck, skyway) and a Superior.

I am looking to sell of part of my collection to fund more Koll acquisitions in the future. A pimped out Superglide is in my sights, as well as a Junior.
    And I'll be definitely planning some custom limba stuff for the day the shop reopens to custom orders.

JJ

6. drezdin

drezdin Member

I don't have one on order, I got mine :) But I was wondering if anyone knows if that fan fret 7 string with the trem was completed

7. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

I have an archtop coming, presumably right behind decay-o-casters. I think it should be soon. Pics will follow~
    I love the RE idea. I've been hearing that thing call my name for a long time now. I'm under the impression Saul isn't taking orders for these, currently. When & if he does again, I'll likely sign up.

8. Medicito

Medicito Member

At first, I had a SuperGlide in mind, but then a day later I saw the RE design on the page and freaked out! It was everything I was in love with about design- Klein body and neck angle mixed with a classy archtop. So I got in a deposit with Saul fall last year...

And If I'm not mistaken, I believe I'm the only one in RE history to use Black Korina back and sides. Saul prefers to use Maple for the back and sides for the sake of archtop tradition, but since it was a 7 string, I wanted a darker tonal palette then the Maple would provide me, so there we go.

Other features going on: fanned frets, 2 Imperials, Braz. Rosewood board, ebony bridge and appointments, slim c neck...the other aspects of the build are still up in the air(finish, color, fret design) but I'm leaning for classical style beauty...:D

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yep, I've got an all Korina DL Thinline (trimmed down 335ish). Carved top/back, bent sides like an arch top.
    -Brazilian fretboard
    -Lollar Imperials (under wound most likely)
    -Tortoise binding throughout
    -Copper tear drop type pickguard.
    -Color will be like David Torn's Tornado with a hint of shading on the edges for a slight sunburst.

Essentially it is a mix between the DL Thinline and a Korina Tornado. All I have at this point are pics of the raw wood. Supposed to get it early spring, can’t wait!

10. joek86

joek86 Member

Hi guys,
    I have a Metallic Orange Superior in Alder coming with a 25" scale. Wrap around bridge and HD P90s........

Joe

11. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

All Korina, Brazilian fretboard Superior with HD z90 bridge, Fralin p92neck and Hipshot tremolo.
    Tortoise binding and pick guard, "Mint" color.
    I should have it by the end of summer.
    :dude

12. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

I got my order in in January, so I guess I'm looking at early next year. Black limba Tornado, Brazilian board, Steinberger tuners, Hipshot trem, Lollar P90's and Graph Tech Ghost/Hexpander MIDI system.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't believe he's not taking orders anymore. :bkw

14. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have this, but it was built last year...still though....:dude a one-off "deluxe" superior....

[​IMG]

15. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

:drool

Can't wait to see this one, Joe. Orange is one of my fave colors. In the name of all that is decent, you MUST, I say you MUST, post pictures of this one. ;)

I have a Fullerton Superior in production. I've hemmed and hawed about options for so long that I have no idea when I'll get it. I just finalized everything about two weeks ago.

Ash body, maple/rosewood neck, old-style Superior headstock (the "Gumby" shape like on Esoteric Pete's guitar), old-stlye Superior tear drop shaped pickguard, Wilkinson trem bridge, Lollar P-90s, a kind of pale sonic blue maybe a bit transluscent. Black pickup covers and black pickguard (though cream covers would be cool too).

I'm already thinking about my next one.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

Amending my own post....

A pair of WCR Crossroads humbuckers has just crossed my transom as a possibility. Looking for something with some warmth, chime and versatility though I'm having a hard time trying to quantify this in anything more concrete.

Anyone ever try a set of those in a chambered mahogany/maple guitar, or any of Saul's?

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The best I can do, Ken, is Crossroads in a Hamer Artist Korina HB. They were beautiful; convinced this dyed in the wool single coil guy that 'buckers could make great sounds (or, rather, I could make great sounds with them.)

I can't wait until Saul is taking orders again. I'm aching for a black limba Junior with a Lollar dogear -- Saul & I were really vaguely kicking it around as he was finishing up my beloved Duo Glide, and he then stopped taking orders. :(

Edit to add: The reason I mentioned my experience with the WCRs is that your description of desired tone is exactly how I would describe the Crossroads. Very clear and open sounding, with some bite from the bridge especially, but very warm. Also, it was easy to pull out a broad range of tones pretty much across the tone/volume knobs' ranges. FWIW, I was played the guitar through a Swart AST, L'il Dawg 5E3 clone & a '68 Princeton Reverb.

18. Orren

Orren Member

I'm on the list too! :)

Orren

19. KRosser

KRosser Member

Thanks for that - yeah, I think they might be what I'd like to try first...easy enough to change, right?