Kolls....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by KRosser, Feb 25, 2006.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

That was 100% Saul. I didn't think I wanted a pickguard on that one, but he was right.

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

Thanks bro!

Yeah, they play like a dream. Light & resonant, amazingly comfortable necks...wow

3. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Thanks for taking the time to post and describe these guitars. Here's wishing you lots of great music and playing through them!

4. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

Those are sweet. Saul does have the best headstock designs.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Very nice guitars. Congrats!

Question on the P-90 guitar:

Does the neck have to tilt back to get the action right with the bigsby/tunamatic combo? Or do you have to counter sink the bridge a bit, or does it work OK with the normal straight neck angle?

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Amazing! If those p90's dont float your boat- I heard a koll in korina with two lolar p90's that was one of the best sounding guitars I have heard so you might want to try the lolars

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Nice. Got any clips? So many gtrs, so little time... Congrats

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

That's a better question for Saul. It doesn't appear to have a back tilt. I think it's a Bigsby setup made for Teles.

9. webb

webb Member

Beautiful guitars:)

10. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

thanks for the shots ..Saul is the Koll Kat .PERIOD ! And nobody can sue him ~!

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

I could make some. How do I go about posting clips?

12. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

thanks to everyone!

Ken, I had fun making these! Rather than trying to make one guitar be the jack of all trades, I had the luxury of making each guitar be exactly what it needed to be, with no compromises.
    The ash guitar is my take on the perfect "black guard", with all the ingredients that make a black guard what it is. Ash, maple, three saddle bridge.
    We added the middle pickup and associated switching to make it a bit more versatile, but this in no way takes away from the original vision. There is purity without extras. Here is a shot of the body:

[​IMG][/IMG]

And here is a closer shot of the head:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

On the mahogany guitar, we tried to make the best hollow, P-90 bigsby T style guitar. I tweaked a couple things, including a 22 fret neck, rather than the 21. 21 seems appropriate for a black guard, but here we were going for a more gibsony deal, so I went with 22. Joe asked about the neck angle. I cut the standard neck pocket in the body. There is a slight angle but it is built into the neck, just to get the right projection at the bridge. This is the same bigsby B-5 set up and tunomatic that I use on my Glide guitars. The bridge height here is important with the pressure bar. Bridge too high and there is too much break angle over the bridge, too little and you can't set you action low.
    Here is a shot of that:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    A couple of cosmetic issues. Ken ordered the guitar with no pickguard and that was how I assembled it, but when completed it just did not look right. I made a small bakelite guard which echos the lines of my Glide series. I am so used to looking at these that is what I need to see now!
    Along those lines, I decided to use an ebony veneer on the headstock like I do on the Glides as well. I thought it looked better with the darker colors of the body and fingerboard on this guitar.
    Here is a shot of that:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

One thing that was a first for me on this pair was a collaboration with Bill Chapin on the neck finish. Ken wanted a satin non gloss feel on the back of the neck. While I have never had anyone complain about how my necks feel, I thought it would be cool to try Bill's top secret formula on these. (I have heard his necks described as the texture of the inner thighs of angels..) So when I had the necks done, and the headstocks sprayed with nitro, I sent them to Bill to work his magic. I will say they are quite remarkable. Kudos to Bill!

That is all I can think of about these. Thanks to all for the compliments, and thanks to Ken for coming up with the project.

One more shot: A family shot. My personal guitar with is in front. Ken's 1 pc ash body is from the same wide plank! They are brothers, or sisters, or something..[​IMG][/IMG]

back to work now.
    cheers,
    saul

13. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Alright, just so my Koll tele doesn't feel left out ... :D

btw, I really like both of those! Congrats to Ken and Saul ...

[​IMG]

14. lhallam

lhallam Member

If you can make a small enough mp3 (2-3MB) and email it to me, I can post it for all to hear.

15. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Those are fantastic, Ken! I've got a Tele project in mind that's a lot like the P90 one but with an ash body.

Saul, the grain on the ash Tele is just amazing. It looks like a work of art in itself. I'm looking forward to ordering that Tornado this summer.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

What else can I say, other than these exact guitars are something I've been wanting to have built for about ten years, and I'm glad I waited because Saul nailed it...

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm gonna go back to playing 'em....

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Those are killer!! Saul does amazing work!! Also, the Chapin neck finish is really special. Enjoy them!!!

18. drezdin

drezdin Member

My Koll may be coming in the next batch! Please excuse me if I pee my pants.

19. sashjo

sashjo Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hey all....

this koll tele isn't exactly into the vintage thing but it sounds amazing. the neck feels so buttery. i don't know how saul does it but he's got "that thing".
    it may not look the part but it can twang with the best

ash body
    maple neck
    hipshot bridge and bar
    Neck-harmonic design Z-90
    Middle-stephens design Mojo line
    bridge-stephens design Possumcaster pu
    five position switch

the small toggle switch gives you two different capacitor choices. one is a little more edgy and the other sounds more vintage like
    the middle position of the toggle is a tone bypass. i like to use that when i'm in the neck position

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah man, that was the one that started this whole ball rolling for me, when you posted pics & info last summer, and I first contacted Saul shortly thereafter...