komet 18 watter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gbisn1960, Oct 10, 2008.

1. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

i haven't been on here in a while or put my 2 cents in on anything for a couple months.. BUT i had to get on here and blurb about this thing

i am a very proud owner of a komet concorde and have loved what it does live and in the studio.. but i went over to see mike at the shop the other day to get some tubes and such and when we were testing the tubes in an amp i noticed a little and somewhat complete amp sitting on the cab next to us..
    asking what it was he mike got all pumped up and asked me to go and grab his tele.. we plugged into it and my lord what a sound!
    now i know you guys have heard that this thing is coming out or if you haven't start saving your ducketts because you will want one..
    sound of the little monster:
    in good komet fasion.. every bit of the string to string clarity is there and its got a pretty good amount of gain on tap.. very even response from bass to treble and actually with the 3 way bright switch you can get into the top boost range of the old voxes.. its got a saturation knob on it as well as a volume and tone..
    i was very suprised to see how many different sounding tones you could get from an 18 watter.. mike whipped out some older lenny kravitz and when i sat down i just kinda went through my country rock type noodling
    i haven't spent a lot of time with the amp, but the saturation knob basically will take you from brad paisley to the previously mentioned kravitz bringing in what sounds like another gain stage..
    the sound of the amp can be pretty jangly like your vox/matchless type stuff but it holds together WAY better when you get into the higher gain type stuff..
    the controls are very simple if you didn't catch them earlier there is a bright switch that goes from off, bright and brighter, a volume knob, saturation knob and tone knob..
    there is plenty of volume on tap for any gig (unless you are pushing the boundary of loud or your name is Warren H.)
    anyway.. with all that said.. i will be placing my order for one as i see it as a must have for how i play... any amp that can make me be late leaving town for a gig, or make me stay home the first part of friday from work to write a review is worth pinching pennies for

there may be a little wait on these guys too, as these two hurricanes that came through here did their number on things around here.. everything has been pushed back a good two weeks, as far as work time, and months in getting things in or just getting back to normal.. so i say.. get your order in and stand in line.. mike assured me when i said i wanted one that he is getting to them as fast as he can get them done the right way and playing a bit of catch up...

hope i didn't ramble on, but this amp is the first in a while that just gets me going!!
    take care guys and please feel free to ask any questions if you are curious
    Jon

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'm looking foward to hearing and playing one.

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Would you cut it out already.. I just got over the idea of needing one of these :boxer

4. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

Thanks for sharing! Good clear info for us that have already taken the bait.

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

could you see this as replacing your concorde? or a cool addition to it? i dont think my k60 is going anywhere even though i have one of these on order.

6. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Pictures and clips.....

I almost purchased one of these babies ----- I want to feel bad about something besides the market

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im in passaic county nj so when i get it if you want to check it out let me know.

8. squaremusic

squaremusic Supporting Member

Hey Jon
    I've got one of these amps coming-what cab did you play through?

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

there are some threads started on this already, sounds like a cool amp for sure!

10. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Cool -- I got a Bludo 3EL34 HRM, and a kick-ass FUCHS ODS 100 combo (both in suede of course) ---- so we can have a party!!!!

11. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Raaawwwkkkk!!

There are a few threads about these under Komet 19. Many of us are chompin' at the bit and posts like this one make me want to run around the block with no pants on...in a good way. Several cats on here have orders in out of the first run of 25 (including yours truely), so we very much appreciate any news that can be had. Still would love to see a pic on what this baby is gonna look like.

Going streaking now, back later.

12. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

i'm sure mike and hogy will have pictures up sooner than i could get a picture of the finished product... so keep your eyes on their site and i'm sure you'll see something soon

i played the amp through a marshall 4x12 straight front cabinet they had in the shop.. i'm sure its some old greenbacks in that thing.. i'm pretty sure its one of the cabs they test all of the amps through

also... i don't see this amp replacing the concorde.. if it replaced anything it would take over the matchless because its the more similar...

Jon

13. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Several guys who have played the prototype have been kind enough to post their thoughts/reviews on the 19, (and we thank you guys!) however...
    I have yet to hear anyone (who has played it) say if it does the controlled feedback routine.
    I really liked that little routine btw.
    More, less, or similar to the Concord ala Pete Thorns videos.
    Did I ask if a 19 will be/sound like a Concord? No, I did not, clearly it will sound differently.
    Again, the question for those of you who have played it, controlled feedback, yes, no, maybe...
    But hey, who am I kidding, I'll love it in any case.
    Just don't forget to sprinkle the Komet "Magic Dust" on #23 before you pack it for delivery, Thanks.

14. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Controlled feedback? In spades, my friend!

And that was with my '62 RI Tele Custom with stock PU's...

15. davros

davros Member

Thanks a lot for that Jon

YEEEEEHA!

D

16. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

the controlled feedback thing to me is just something that all the komet amps do and new amps with continue to hold to that fashion..
    there are a few things komets will always have and thats: super clear and defined, very even response from treble to bass, and then theres that controlled feedback thing