Komet 19 (Test Drive)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jason Carter, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I stopped by the Komet HQ today to visit with Mike and Hogy. I have not had a chance to try out the new model. After some small talk, I had them set up the new Komet 19. Mike gave me the run down of the controls. He then plugged me into the new model with the shop strat and gave me the have fun look and went back to building power supply boards. Hogy was in his work area fixing a guitar. I've been on a Hendrix kick lately and I played the opening to Castles Made Of Sand. As I held some of the opening chords, the K19 starting going into controlled clean feedack . Holy smokes does this amp sound good...I mean real good. I turned around and asked Hogy how he made this power supply sound so big and full with 2 EL84's. He just laughed and kept working. This amp plays more like 40 watts, it's a Komet what can I say. Mike then came back and started adjusting the controls as I played. The clean feedback on this amp is unreal, am I dreaming. I know Komet amps are known for their rich beefy overdrive, trust me the overdrive tones are awesome. But the clean sound on this amp is unreal for a power section this small. After another round of harmonic heaven, I almost had to pinch myself. Hogy then came around and we talked a little about the design process of the new amp. He shared with me some of the technical discussions he had with Ken over the years in regards to tuning a circuit. It seems there is always a compromise in designing a circuit. You can either have an exceptional clean tone or overdrive tone. It's very rare to have both in a single channel amp with one preamp tube. What can I say I think it has been done. IMHO the student has finally become the master with this model. The design of this amp embodies everything Hogy learned from Ken as well as his own vision of what he wants out of an amp. Not to mention Mike, one of the most talented production guys in the business, will be building these amps. Hogy and Mike are truley some of the most humble guys I know when it comes to their work. They always let their designs speak for themselves, this is going to be an amazing amp!

PS. Hogy I have an idea for a name.

The Komet FLARE 19 Flare - A sudden eruption of energy on the solar disk lasting minutes to hours, from which radiation and particles are emitted.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the wonderful tone report!

What cab/speakers were you playing it through?

I LOVE the clean feedback thing...part of the reason I ordered a Komet!

3. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Dayn,

In true Komet fashion I played the K19 through a Marshall 412 loaded with 25 watt green backs. The clean feedback is just sick on this amp, you will not be dissapointed.

4. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I need to contact Ultrasound. This sounds like a must have.

5. gregory49

gregory49 Member

wow that sounds awesome!!!

6. shally

shally Member

availability ?

approximate cost ?

7. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Sounds very exciting! A lot of build up on this one!

8. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Flared pants were narrower than bellbottoms, but wider than straight leg.

9. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

3 months wait for the first batch

2.3K for the head

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

Calling Tuesday!!!

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

...Hope they still have some spots available ;):D

12. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Gear slut!:band

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

me too Marko. They did a few days ago. I just have to wait until I have enough money available from my auto. deposits. I have my eyes on it, a Reinhardt, and a couple guitars. I'm gonna need to get ten jobs!!!

b :banana:banana

14. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

(whisper) Psssst...I got a chubby.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey, whatever, man:rolleyes::horse:D
    Bill, you're the worst, haha! :cool:

16. davros

davros Member

Thanks for posting Jason. Your review tipped me over the edge (I'm now on the list).

D

17. Seditious

Seditious Member

How does the clean headroom relate to say an RSA 23? More? Less?

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

I'm having soooooo much fun though!!! I wish everything was.

19. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Seditious,

Sorry I've never played an RSA 23. But depending on how you have the saturation knob set, as well as what pickups you use will determine the clean headroom on the K19. With the Tele and Strat I used at the Komet HQ, the K19 appeared to have as much clean headroom as my old 67 Pro Reverb. If you go into the clean headroom with a touch of grit territory without heavy clipping, it would easily surpass my old pro. Fine tuning the saturation knob will give you anything from a clean snappy Brad Paisley country tone to mid gain blues heaven all the way to classic ZZ Top glory. The saturation knob is going to be a big hit with K19 users. The K19 also has the signature clean up with the guitar volume knob as well. Although this is a 2EL84 amp it feels like a 30-40 watt amp.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  20. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Cool Jason! Thanks for the report. I might be the minority here, but for me, I have absolutely no need/interest in clean headroom. Zero, zilch. Does this amp rock? I mean, can you go from Billy Gibbons to EVH like you can on other Komet models? That would be the info I need to throw down my cash and buy one. Thanks!!