Komet 212 or 65 Amps 212 ... is there really any difference???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I am going to buy another 212 cabinet, really this long overdue decision is based on my using of a 65 Amps 212 cabinet once which completely blew my mind tone wise compared to what I was using...mind you it was a slightly different speaker combination also so this could have had something to do with it but since then I have been hell bent on getting a 65 212 cabinet.

My usual cabinet was a 212 Achillies (locally made extremely good build quality) cab, open back section at the top of the rear side of the cabinet. Loaded with a single old 70's G12H30 Blackback and a single old 70's G12M Greenback, both original no re-cones.

The 65 cab I tried had the G12H30 (standard) and an Alnico Blue.

My amps are a 65 Royal Albert and a Komet 60. Both amps sounded worlds better through the 65 cabinet.

Now since I just know that all Komet stuff is awesome I'm thinking of getting a Komet cab instead of the 65 and my real question is...is there really ANY difference at all between these two great cabinets???

My initial instincts would actually be that the Komet one would probably be a little nicer...what are your thoughts?

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

what color are your amps? the cabs are probably both top notch. i run my komet 60 through a 2x12 with 2 celestion blues. just remember that anything with a speaker paired with a blue is still a 30 watt cabinet. i'm sure they are different but i wouldnt think either would be bad. my cab is a bad cat open back. besides not matching, i have no desires to change it.

3. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Komet is one of the original emerald green with white V schemes and the Royal Albert is the standard 65 black and cream scheme. I'm not really fussed about matching but I will want to match one of them I guess depending what I get. Like you said, they're probably very top notch cabs.

4. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Supporting Member

I have a 2X12 Komet cab with Greenback and GH13. I also have Bruno cab with two Alnico Blues. These sound different but it's the speakers, mostly. My suggestion is go with the one that matches better with your rig, because if you are running similar type speakers in both, there won't be much difference. And your audience will certainly never know. A bigger consideration might be the layout of speakers, diagonal or horizontal, which would affect how you hear yourself on stage.

5. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Any concerns that the G12H/Blue wont handle the power of those two amps?? I have a Royal Albert as well and have thought about picking up a used cab, but keep looking for one with a Gold.

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Yeah I'm going to get one with the Gold in it, not the Blue. I'm sure the Blue will be fine but I don't want to risk it and the Gold is also a great speaker so I'll be happy with one of those.