Komet 60, gradual mode, which OD pedal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I have had my K60 for years now and wish I could play gigs with it in fast mode but it ends up being too loud and not quite versatile enough for the venues I play.

(if anyone has any slightly different advice about perhaps installing better volume pots in my guitars so I can get more out of the amp then I'm all ears to that too)

What I generally do is set up the Komet on gradual mode so it's a pretty nice clean sound using single coils and a bit of grit with humbuckers if I hit it hard enough. Then I use a high quality OD pedal for my main rhythm sound, still leaving enough headroom in the amp itself, and use a good clean solo boost for my solos so they have a good real volume boost that gets above the rest of my loud band. Currently I am using a Fulltone Plimsoul as my rhythm dirt sound and I use an Ulbrick Megalodon as my solo boost. The Megalodon is perfect but I'm not completely sold on the Plimsoul as it can start sounding a bit fuzzy sometimes but other times it's great. Probably depends on the room.

I also have used a KOT v4 and an Ulbrick 12AXE in the past, both of which I still own.

Basically I'm looking for the best rhythm dirt sound I can get using an OD pedal (we play Southern Rock ala Black Crowes) while still keeping it fat and warm and as organic sounding as I can.

Usually people probably play Komets without any OD pedals but just to humor me I thought I'd ask for advice on OD pedals to use with my K60.

I will also start experimenting with using it in fast mode and using my volume knob but I can never quite get enough volume boost for my solos which is why I have it set up with more headroom in the amp and I have to use pedals for my dirt.

Have at it Komet users, best amps IN THE WORLD!!!

:agree

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Bump...surely I'm not the only one who uses an OD pedal with my K60?

3. beavis

beavis Member

RC Booster? I like it with my k60...stacks well too. IMHO

Rod likes this.
  4. cvriz

cvriz Member

I use a bbpreamp but also like an epbooster or Maxxplay ub2. Are you using an airbrake? Airbrake works great in the mid to small clubs i play.

5. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I use 3 ODs with my K60 and I like them all. All 3 will do what you require. I too usually gig in Gradual mode and these pedals have worked really well for me for about 2 yrs.

- Klon, or buy one of the Klones
    - Gaspedals Dumbell (cuts some bass out, but sounds amazing regardless)
    - ProAnalog Dual Drive

PM me if you want more info.

6. hogy

hogy Member

I know very little about the current crop of OD pedals. The reason being I found the perfect one twenty years ago and haven't desired a different one since.

It is, of course, the Crowther Hot Cake. Works great with a Komet, too.

Ken Fischer loved the Red Rooster Booster with his Komets.

Don't count out the Air Brake attenuator either. You can simply hook one up to the second speaker out on your K60, no speaker connected to the Airbrake. This automatically cuts the power going to your cab in half, with zero effect on the sound.

v-verb and woof* like this.
  7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Hogy, does it matter which attenuator setting is used?

8. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I had a version 1 OCD from Fulltone that sounded great boosting a Komet Concorde...might work as well with the Komet 60 circuit.

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

What if you use two airbrakes? Hook one up to the second output to cut the power and have the other in series with the speaker cab attenuating an already power reduced amp? Would this be safe?

10. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Really?! I didn't know that. I have an Airbrake that I never use. I need to check this out.

I thought the Airbrake had to be in-line with an actual speaker?

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have used my Hotplate as Hogy described. With the Hotplate set to "load". Not sure the Air Brake has that which is why I asked.

12. amp boy

amp boy Member

BJFE or Bearfoot EGDM.

I think the backstory to the design of that pedal was around someone in a similar situation as you....they had a Komet, and wanted a gain pedal to compliment the amp.

13. hogy

hogy Member

Any of the attenuated settings, i.e. NOT bypass.

You just hook the Airbrake up like you would a second speaker cab. Put your Komet's output selector on 8 Ohms, regardless of the actual load of the cabinet used.

v-verb likes this.
  14. johan

johan Member

No love for the Menatone Kar Krasch?
    Clean-to-mean-dynamic. Fast-Grad switch. I love mine with A BF Fender

15. Blue Kind

Blue Kind Member

Second vote for the RC Booster. It works great with a 60. I also have a BB Preamp - comp that works well. I use both and sometimes in series depending on what I need.

16. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 Komet Concordes and use the following pedals:
    RAF Compressor
    2-Jetter Red/Shift OD pedals
    Lovepedal Coupon Eternity OD
    2 boost pedals Xotic EP and TC Spark boost

Here is a clip, Jetter used for solos only. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Ejb_D2IGE

17. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Full on Komet K60 user, My preferred OD/Boost of choice, Klon,AM KOT HG/V4,XTS Pegasus or Tejas Boost. Most cases I just run direct in the fast mode, volume around 1-2, Metro 4x12 and done.

The K60 is all about the volume knob of your guitar, I live and die by mine. RS Guitar Works, Vintage upgrade kit and you are your way. Depending on your Komet, play with the volume and the point of sustain or distortion when wide open on your guitar, have fun!

18. Bludave

Bludave Member

I have a Komet 60 & just had it retubed with EL34's. It had KT77's in it but they were done. I really like the overall complexity of the tone with El34's. The speakers also play a big part of it. When I first bought it I had a cab that had Shefield 1290's in it(Peaveys version of the vintage 30) & I was happy to a degree but after reading some things & speaking with Michael Kennedy he recommended greenbacks. When I got my Marshall cab it was like getting a whole new amp. The details of the tone were all there.

I hardly ever use it in "Fast" I prefer it in gradual as it is a bit quieter & cleaner, yet it breaks up great with a humbucker really well. I have been using a TS808 clone on steroids if you will. A friend made it for me a few years ago so I really can't give you too much in detail on what is in it but it sounds great. This pedal basically has a gain, volume, tone pot & a three way toggle that allows me to either add a bit of treble or bass. This pedal is the only OD i have used with this amp and needless to say I have never really looked for another. It works. BUT it is a very loud amp & it is hard to use in smaller venues. When I am playing in a small club I leave the Komet home & use a Deluxe Reverb. Tone doesn't matter too much when everyone in the audiences' ears are bleeding. This is the baest amp I have used period. Great character & lots of balls, but it cleans up well just by rolling the volume down....

19. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Great info guys thank you :)

I'm lucky enough to own a Constellation now as well as a K60 so when the 60 is a bit too big I can take the Connie and although it's still very loud it's a little easier to handle. I have found lately that the Bearfoot EGDM actually works really well as a gain box into the K60 in gradual mode, then I still have headroom in the amp for a solo volume boost, I definitely prefer to be using amp gain though as the Komet was intended to be used it's just not always practical. One thing I need to work on is my volume pots, I have great volume pots that work well with the Komet in my PRS Goldtop CU22 triple soapbar but I hardly ever gig with that guitar, if only my other guitars had pots that good...might have to buy some PRS ones and put them in my other guitars!

20. hogy

hogy Member

The best pots, in terms of taper, that I have found are the newest 2013 Gibson Historic pots. They finally got it right. These have a taper that is pretty close to the old 1950s Centralab pots.

I have two complaints with the ones I tested:

-They turn way too stiff. This can be fixed by taking the housing off and cleaning out the grease. After that they turn like old ones.

-The other problem is that they don't turn off completely. At "zero" there is still some signal bleeding through. Not sure if they're all like that, or just the batch I got. The taper however is worth putting up with that.