Komet 60 v. Heritage Colonial

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gkelm, Jan 6, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have and love a Komet 60...now I seem to have been bitten by the Colonial bug (darn this place!). :D

Can anyone describe the differences/similarities in the tones of these two fine beasts? The Colonial seems a bit more flexible...what about the general nature of the tone?

Thanks.
    Greg

2. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I had a Komet 60 and even though it is what is is, it didn't work for me. I've come to believe that it was a bad one. I tried many NOS pre and power tubes, GEC KT66, RCA 6l6 Blackplates, Mullard double getter EL34's and many NOS preamp tubes and could never get a sound pleasing to my ear. It was also extremely loud. I sold it and the guy I sold it to sold it also. Now the Colonial I have is a keeper. Way more flexabillity with both rectifiers and different voicings and the mood switch. I paid $2650 for the used Komet top and $1800 for the Colonial head and 2-12 cab. Glad I sold the Komet and bought the Colonial. I know that Komet is a good amp, but there are good ones and bad ones. The music store (Wolfe Guitars in FL) had 3 Colonials and I said send me the one that sounds the best. They played all 3 and said it's a toss up, they all sound the same. Hope this helps, Bill

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I hear you on the Komet loud. ;) Thanks Bill, very intersting.
    Greg

4. evhtone

evhtone Member

I'm in the same boat...sort of...

I have a KOmet 60 and, at first, I wasn't sure if it was for me. But after some tweaking and tube changes I love it. I actually have all new production tubes in it and the tone is incredible.

I had some conversations recently with Tommy Hatcher about the Colonial and the result is some severe GAS! I feel like Tommy and I are on the same page tone-wise and he said he thinks the Colonial is a ripper. I have no reason not to believe him. So, I would realy love to try one soon. Until then my Komet is treating me mighty fine.

5. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I'm not qualified to comment about the Komet although I believe everything I've read about it being a great amp. I'm selling my Heritage Colonial to fund the KF50 I ordered. I can speak from experience that the Colonial is a balls to the wall, highly flexible tone machine. I just decided to pull out the stops and go for the KF50. I'm sure there's another Heritage in my future. I planned on keeping it but the KF50 tag is just too stiff for me to have extra amps right now.

6. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i've had both. the Komet (#78) for several years, which i had to sell, and the Colonial for about 6 weeks (incl. cab), which i'll probably have to sell (along with a lot of other stuff, if the job situation doesn't resolve soon).

for construction nothing beats a Komet, in my experience anyway. i haven't seen the inside of the Colonial's chassis yet, but judging from the external appearance and inside the head cab, it's right up there with the best of the rest.

soundwise, i think they're very different, although with tubes & tweaks you can get them to approach each other. of the two the Komet seems louder and can take on additional personalities with tube swaps. the Colonial is basically more versatile and has 3 voices i've always wanted, pretty much as is. its cleans at 1/2 volume are comparable in richness to a Komet in Gradual mode, and i think its touch sensitivity is more pronounced. the Komet has Fast mode, which is crazy-touch-sensitive and a treat, but a tad hissy even at low levels. the Colonial puts out a ton of bass, the Komet is brighter (controls for both at noon & the Colonial set for a Plexi sound). tone controls for both give great range and lots of variations. the Colonial's preamp controls are something else & the key to its versatility.

frankly, if i have to sell this Colonial, i'll be planning on another. i loved my Komet more than anything i'd had to date, but the cost is pretty much beyond justification for use & my skill level & frequency of use onstage.

but if i were to have both, i could easily justify it in terms of tonal diffs. my pref would be to have my Juke 1210, Fuchs mod'd Concert, Colonial, Komet, and Heritage Briton II, cuz they all have sounds i love and can't get from the others.

btw, you oughta try a Colonial with a pair of THD Yellow Jackets in it. an EL84 chimin' sound that gets great lower-volume cleans, and grinds when boosted.

:cool:

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Jeff, what you describe is much what i've experienced of my Komet, so that 's a very helpful comparison. I also have a similar cost/justification/skill dynamic going on too. I probably can swing both, but have some self-convincing to do that I should. :)

8. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

So Hawk, is that your order of preference for the amps you own, i.e. the Juke is your #1, etc.? That would mean you like the Colonial better than the Britton2 for what you do?

9. hawkeyeinexile

yeah, & you know i remember Hogy's post about Komet cost WRT inflation & since i bought my first amp in '67 (a bandmaster rig): the Komet kost less ;)

('course, the Colonial would be less than a Deluxe :D )

10. hawkeyeinexile

i use the Juke the most. the Colonial and the Briton II were kinda lucky accidents. the Fuchs mod failed me recently (not a Fuchs fault, more Fedex).
    i'll get back to you on this "problem", got a rehearsal now

11. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Does anyone know how much does a Colonial normally sells for?

12. 57special

57special Member

a head can be had for $1500-1650 new. Head and cab $1900-2200, depending on where you shop.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

I'm still amazed at how cheap these are for head and cab, handwired, versatile.....

14. 57special

57special Member

A bit of a no-brainer, if you like the tone. It's not just the amps, just about every amp i have sounds better when played through the Victory cab .

15. hawkeyeinexile

okay, i'm back & been thinkin' on this. of the ones listed, i don't really have a preference, so the question becomes which ones get used more?

actually the nod goes to two not listed: a Blues Jr. w/a Greenback that got used weekly for one band's rehearsals and a '61 Ampeg Reverberocket that goes out weekly or more often for gigs with one or two bands, typically in smaller venues. since one band has six guys (two on drums & percussion, one on Hammond organ), real estate is scarce. the little Ampeg with an Emi Private Jack covers my end, though.

the Colonial and the Briton II i've only had since around Thanksgiving as part of some mad dealing with an eye to a quick turnaround, cuz i need the cash. 'nuff of that. but i'm having a hard time letting go of them. the Colonial is more "me", the Briton II is the 4-EL84 rig that i'd been looking for (an Aiken was top of that list). the Colonial has all my favorite sounds (tweed Fender, JTM45, Plexi) and tone shaping (that Mood control is killer) for BF Fender and other Marshally sounds and some unique mixnmatch stuff. the Briton II is a master-vol beast, Voxy & 18-20w Marshall but 30w, has blending of the two sounds plus its own thing, an effects loop and that killer cab w/Alnico Blues. yow.

the Juke i've posted on extensively and i'm getting ready to update the clips thread when it gets back from a retube and cap job. it's the one that gets used the most of the ones listed. gorgeous cleans, reverb & tremolo & vibrato like no one else has. i've had it three years this week.

the Fuchs mod'd '80s Concert combo is that D*mbly Fendery thing i've always wanted, but the chassis got tweaked in shipping (Fedex IIRC). i've had it a couple years and use it occasionally, but it needs a mechanical repair to make it gig-worthy. it's pretty much everything you've heard about re production SLX Fuchsen.

for a backup i've used little Boogie-size Torres that Dan built for me. imagine a Mk I-sized combo with a 15" Weber Alnico Michigan and a JTM45 circuit with a throbbing tremolo on tap. great amp i don't write about enough.