KOMET 60 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martie6621, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

This just about sums it up perfectly! :cool:

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Gold Supporting Member

I like mine a whole bunch.
    [​IMG]

3. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Well said! There are a few amps out there I can say that about, but Ken Fischers designs were some of the first to reach that level:RoCkIn

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

It's worth it just to hold your head up high around here ;)

5. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I just Google'd "Komet 60" and this thread came up...it's probably old as hell but I just had to chime in and say:

YES!!!!!!

6. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I have owned mine for a little over 10 years now, still love it, will never sell it. Just a great, great amp. And a great, great company.

Barr

7. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I'm going to bring this thread to the top again...the only way you can truly answer this question is to own one yourself...you won't regret it for a second!

8. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Miss mine...lost in the great gear theft. Some day!

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Man that sucks so much!!!!! :(

No one who actually knew what that amp was would have ever stolen it, Komet dudes are a stand up bunch...well, I like to think so anyway.

10. v-verb

v-verb Member

Sorry to hear that - I missed that story - you had gear stolen? That's one of my fears

11. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

And perchance if you should ever need service/support on your Komet, these guys are great, my hats off to Mike! I have had mine for ten years and they truly care.

Barr

12. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Hogy,

Do you still have any dealers in England?

Looking on chandlers website and can't see any Komets.

Would live to get my hands on one soon.

13. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

Didn't realize how old this thread was but.....This may be a little off topic however, I have so many amps it is sickening to even think about. I now play a Metroamp kit modded with the Brown eye which I absolutely love, The only amp I have owned that still haunts me is the Komet Concorde. Phenomenal amp. I always wanted to try the 60. Ultimately, I got rid of the Concorde because of how loud it is and no effects loop. I tried a few different types of attenuators with it but none of them seemed to work very well accept for Komet's. The problem with Komet's attenuator is that even at it's lowest setting, it's still pretty loud. If you have the funds, I would try it out.

14. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

For very low volume playing, this is the solution:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1226066

It also solves the effects loop issue.

Hogy, Komet Amplification

15. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

16. effectsman

effectsman Member

NMV amps are often a problem. Thankfully there are some good solutions these days. You can try Hogy's approach, or try the Bad Cat unleash or the Two Notes Reload. Some great options around now for taming big amps.

Or call Jamie at 3rd Power amps and see if he can install his hybrid master volume system on it. Its very good!

17. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

The Komet-60 is probably the ONE single amp that I've craved the hardest and the longest in my entire musical journey, and yet, after twenty-years, I still don't own one. Why? I wish I could say with any confidence.

I think the one thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a K60 is the sheer power. When Mark Knopfler switched from his Soldano SL-100 to a Komet-60 back in the 90s, it really got my attention, but then, I started seeing tour photographs of him playing the K60 'Live' to audiences of 15,000+, with TDK HotPlate attenuators situated on-top.

I think the icing on the cake was an interview with Knopfler himself at his British Grove Studios in which he said that his K60 was essentially "unusable" in the studio, either with or without attenuators. In his words, it simply "blew the roof off of the place". I'm no MK, and I'd LOVE to experiment, but as nice as they sound, I'm afraid that's simply too much power for my needs.

18. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I don't see how you couldn't record a Komet 60 in a studio. The guy that did the recent sound demonstration videos didn't seem to have a problem doing it. I record with 60 plus watt amps all the time. People just get into weird, limiting mindsets about what they can and can't do.

19. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Yeah, I suppose Knopfler could be considered "quirky" (he's known for being ridiculously particular about things), and to be clear, I believe he has in-fact recorded with it (the K60) in the studio on occasion, but if I understood the interview correctly, it just wasn't something he routinely preferred to do.

And of course, in his later solo career, he drifted away from the higher-powered K60 to lower-powered units (i.e., the Reinhardt Storm-33 and others).

20. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

The K60 is not exceptionally loud. It is as loud as any 50 watt amp if you turn it up. Duh. But unlike most amps, the K60 sounds good at every position of the volume knob. TGP is full of warnings about how loud this amp is- as if it has some kind of hidden powers. Its 50-60 watts. If you turn it up- then its loud. If you turn it down- then its not.

NamaEnsou likes this.