KOMET 60 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martie6621, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Nope, I respectfully disagree. Duh! This is an over-simplified and overly generalized "lumping" of all 50-60 watt heads, when they cannot be so categorized. If you research this matter including some relevant postings by Hogy himself regarding the K60, you'll see where I'm coming from.

2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

The 2nd Komet 60 I owned wasn't loud enough for the band I was in. It isn't that loud.

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I have owned amps louder than the K60. Not many though. It's not so much that the K60 is loud, it just isn't quiet. Ever.

By the way, what band were you in, Deep Purple?

4. katuna

Ha, one would think! The other guy was playing a 100 watt marshall. Very loudly. He has been since replaced and we aren't quite as loud, but still pretty loud. I think I could use a Komet 60 now.

5. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I don't get it. I play my K60 all the time at very reasonable volumes. 9:00 on the volume. Maybe all you guys are rockers and need to have the amps cranked. But that doesn't mean the K60 is an uncontrollably loud amp that wants to destroy your face and eat your band mates, it only means that you play it loud. Turn it up and its loud- just like pretty much any amp over 30 watts.

6. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

7. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

My experience with these amps is that they in fact are very easy to record.
    Before I was using Komet I was recording Suhr, Marshalls… The first Komet I tried was the Songwriter and I didn´t have to think about it really, just set up a couple of mics and hit record.
    The best thing for me with the Komet amps, is that I don´t have to use EQ in the mix. I use a high pass filter so I don´t fight the bass, add a bit of delay if needed and I am happy.
    My favorite setup is the K60 in fast mode with the volume around 10-11 O´clock. Works with all my guitars...

8. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Simon,

Great to see your feedback here on this important topic. I vividly recall viewing your own YouTube video on the K60 a year or two ago, and you had achieved some truly great tone with it in your studio, but as I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), weren't you forced to fully enclose it in a small closet because of its excessive volume at practical (tonally acceptable) studio settings?

I remember communicating with you about it directly via YouTube and I believe that was indeed the case. That said, you have considerably more experience than I with such recording endeavors, so I don't mean to question your assertion here, but if so (i.e., if you were forced to enclose it in a hallway closet in order to get acceptable tone out of it for recording purposes), then this would seem to support earlier contentions that the K60 is inordinately loud relatively to other 50/60w offerings. It also strikes me as an added step that most guys including professional recording artists like Mark Knopfler might not wish to resort to on a routine basis.

9. katuna

Bandalero - how do people manage to record drums and bass amps, etc? None of these things are that much different volume than a 60 watt guitar amp.

How did they manage to record Live at Leeds? You put a mic in front of a speaker and hit record. yeah, you can't record an acoustic guitar 5 feet away from the amp, but uh… I just don't get this concern?

Maybe it's a problem if a studio doesn't have a decently isolated control room? No baffling boards? And regarding the closet thing, people put amps in separate rooms all the time to record them; no matter how loud they are; if you don't, the sound will bleed to other mics if you are recording other things simultaneously. There has to be something very specific about the studio Knopfler is trying to record in, or the instruments he's simultaneously trying to record to make this a problem.

10. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Dude, you're clearly over-thinking this. I told you once before that you were entitled to your opinion, and that I wasn't here to convert you or others, but similarly, you're not going to be converting me (or legions of other like-minded people) on this topic anytime soon.

This discussion wasn't (isn't) about "recording" or "closets" or "miking techniques", etc., etc. Its about power and volume relative to other comparably powered heads in its class in a 'Live' setting, period! Anyone who feels that the K-60 isn't significantly louder than other comparably powered heads has either never owned and/or played one, or the one they played had an anomaly of some sort. End of story! I've played through a total of four of them and none of them were anomalies. Komet's 30w Constellation???? Ditto! Same-same! Mirror image! Blistering! Just read!

As for whether there's "something very specific about the studio that Knopfler is trying to record in" that is somehow problematic (as you seem to be alleging here), or whether his professional recording abilities are suspect? Again, you're entitled to your opinion. All of that stuff (recording techniques) is above my pay-grade - no interest, no experience. I simply cited a comment that he (MK) made in the public domain regarding the use of his two K60's (both Live and in the studio). However, I am not Mark Knopfler, so I am not in a position to elaborate on his thoughts and comments on the subject, or their intended meaning. For that, I'd suggest you write to him or Chuck Ainlay or Guy Fletcher at British Grove Studios and ask them directly.

11. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Not really no. At least I don't think so. It's been a while. But if you take a look a my videos of the aero (pt 3) and the Concorde I am actually sitting in front of the amp playing a 412 cab.
    I do have a speaker box in my basement if I need to record quiet, but these Komet vids are not recorded that way. I think the K60 was recorded with two 112 cabs (Scumback M75 speakers). I might have used a plexi screen in front of the cab, i sometimes do....

12. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

I just watched my old k60 video, Cabs are in the vid, 112 Scumback speaker, no closet :)

Maybe it is time to do a new video of my K60. I have had it for quite some time now and know it a lot better - found my favorite settings that seem to work for all my guitars. Just plug in, turn it up and play....good times

Cheers

VerodaClient likes this.
  13. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Righto! Its been every bit of 3-4 years, and you've definitely removed several of your earlier K60 videos since then, including the one mentioned earlier. As a matter of fact, you responded to a related YouTube posting of mine at the time, and although you raved about the tonal properties of your K60 in that particular communication, you essentially endorsed the Aero (which had just been released), over the K60 for the very reasons outlined above. There's no doubt. I remember it all quite well now.

14. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Yes please, can you do one with the 4x12?

I want to here it rock :)

SimonGotthelf likes this.
  15. cvriz

cvriz Member

I have both K60 and a Concorde, I play hard rock music. I mainly use the Concorde to gig and record. Both amps are loud and I always use an attenuator. No venue I play at would ever stand for me not using an attenuator. Remember my cab is miced and not attenuating is not an option. For me this is not a problem, using the attenuator a couple clicks down will add compression. You could also use inneficient speakers to lower volume. scottishwidowsband.net if you want to hear an attenuated concorde thru 30wt celestions .

16. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Yup. That description is perfectly in-line with what most other owner/users have been reporting with the K60 for years, and given my own limited experience with them, it makes more sense than reports of casually recording it (un-attenuated!) in some 10' x 10' box studio with a 4x12 cab?!#%& :dunno

17. cvriz

cvriz Member

I prefer to record attenuated as to keep my sound the same as I use when Im at a show. I turn it down a couple of clicks. You can certainly record without an attenuator but ive come acustomed to my amp attenuated. Also those tracks are of a Friedman modded Concorde done by Mike Kennedy.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

In a similar vein, the Trainwreck amps, Alessandro, Matchless, are all hard-hitting, very loud amps in a gig situation. They either will need attenuators, or pedals to get them crunchy enough for hard rock unless you're in a REALLY big room!

19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I have owned a Constellation, K60, and Matchless C30. I gigged all of them. In small rooms.

My point is this- the amp has a volume control. It doesn't have to be loud. To characterize the K60 as a an out of control monster volume machine is a disservice to the amp and those that built it. There's a lot more to guitar playing than running everything at 11. These amps are excellent for many other types of (GASP!!!) non-rock n roll music. Imagine that?

These amps have been unfairly categorized as rock beasts. There is much more to be had than cranking the **** out them and wailing away.

This is a very old thread. I think we've gone off topic. Oops.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  20. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

You're right, it sounds wonderful at lower volumes; some of my favourite clean tones by far. I'd be happy using this amp on a jazz gig or anything else that called for crystal clean guitar. But the fact is, being a NMV amp, the overdriven tones that most people buy this amp for come with volume.

But as I believe Hogy's signature states, there's no replacement for displacement. And there are multiple options for getting the goods at lower levels from attenuators, to reamping, to the K19...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014