KOMET 60 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martie6621, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

My favorite Komet ever. Killer amp.

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I couldn't even use the K60 I had at rehearsal. Even at 9 oclock it was too loud. Its meant to be played on big stages IMO. But so is a C30 Matchless, any of the Z amps, NM Marshalls and the like. If you think playing these amps with the volume barley cracked on will work, then go for it. Personally I like an amp to breath.

But I will say the K60 is probably my favorite amp of all time. The tones that amp produce are absolutely beautiful and it's worth every ****ing penny.

3. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

I'm not trying to be snide or nasty, just honestly informative.. but most of the TGP threads about "this amp is too loud" only make any sense if you remember that thanks to the invention of MVs there are several generations of guitar players who believe you absolutely must run you guitar volume knob on max all the time ("to get my sound", they say).

Those of us who twiddle the volume knob on the guitar, can set a K60 at feedback level, and then play very quietly most of the night..... (loved that "fast" switch on the one I borrowed for a while).

In the UK they sell them for the dollar price just turned into pounds so £5,000+ (=$7500+ USA) so not a great bang for your buck! (I made do with an old JTM45/100 for way way less).

EDIT Back in the pub rock 70s Mark Knoffler was complaining to me that studios couldn't let him play with his normal volume dynamics. He naturally had an unusually wide and dramatic volume range just on touch alone.....( and that was just on standard Fenders)

REEDIT I checked whether the ~UK price was still the same and found the shop no longer lists Komet amps at all although they are still on the Komet dealer website.... also the USA dollar price is now under $4000 which would be more interesting...... bargains compared to Two Rocks which are all over £5000UK (over US$7500)....

FYI When Mark did an "IN Concert: show for the BBC a couple of years ago he was using a JTM45 head (30watts), just like Jeff Beck did for his concert at Ronnie Scotts.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

They certainly were "standard" in the sense that they were 'production' Fender or MusicMan units, but they were all definitely in the 'high-power' category at 100w-130w (i.e., Twin Reverb, MusicMan HD-130, etc.). And then came the SLO-100, another well-recognized "paint peeler", followed years later by the much lower-powered (30w) Reinhardt Storm-33.

I dunno. I've never played through an HD-130 or a Twin Reverb, but I've played the K60, and I've owned both the SLO and Storm-33, and for me, Knopfler's own history in this regard supports the already widely-held view that when optimized for tone, the K60 is inordinately loud for its lower (60w) power rating.

That now said, someone here recently suggested that we've perhaps drifted too far away from the OP's central question, and I think they're right in that respect, but this single performance aspect of the K60 is arguably a worthwhile topic for someone who is considering the purchase of a K60.

And lastly, in complete and stark contrast to what that same earlier member had said, this discussion, or this particular performance characteristic of the K60, has 'zero' bearing on the world-class quality of the K60, and/or Hogy and crew, and/or the exceptionally fine products of Komet Amplification. To be clear, nothing like that was ever stated or implied.

5. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Dude, I think you have me mistaken for someone else?

I have not removed any of my Komet videos. Hogy or Mike from Komet can confirm that.
    The Songwriter Video is my first Komet video and it is was published in juli 2013.

I joyned tgp at 07-18-2013

And I have not endorsed the Aero.

I love the Aero, but my favorite is the K60.

All the best

Simon

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    RickyRito likes this.
  6. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Yup, so-sorry Simon! As you say, it must have been someone else, because its been at least 3-4 years ago, and the guy in question was positively miking his K60 in a nearby closet or small neighboring room. I was living elsewhere, and using a completely different e-mail and User ID for YouTube at the time, or I'd go back and research it. But no worries! This discussion wasn't about "recording" per se, so its largely irrelevant anyway.

7. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

Mark Knopfler playing his P90 Pensa in a Komet 60 with a vintage Matshall 4x12:

8. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

All cool.
    It is a loud amp for sure. No problem in the studio I think, but live you need a bigger stage if you really turn it up. We all love to burn through a loud amp on a 412 cab, I know I do :)
    I will be doing a demo of the komet Airbrake very soon.
    It takes the K60 down to the volume of a 20w amp. Can be usefull if you play smaller clubs and want to bring your favorite amp to the gig.

9. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Would love to.
    Going to do one more demo of the wonderful K19 and the komet Airbrake too. So much good stuff...

10. cvriz

cvriz Member

The Komet Airbrake works great with the amp. Use it all the time regardless of venue size.

11. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Indeed it is "good" stuff - great stuff, actually! All of the Komet stuff is, and I dearly hope to secure a K60 of my own one day real soon! God knows, I've craved one longer than I can count. Don't own an Airbrake, but the K60's I've tried in the past worked just fine with my PRX-150 Pro, as did my SLO. I'll be in 7th freaking heaven! :banana

12. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

get an Airbrake, plug it into your K60... problem solved.

13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I gigged a K60 for about 10 years and, IMO, it sounded great at any volume, with no attenuator needed. But I did prefer 6L6's with a Strat. However, one thing you can't experience in the clips is how the amp breathes and feels under your fingers as you play it. Somehow, the amp has a quality that makes you feel like you're actually part of the rig rather than just playing through it. And, in my nearly 50 years in the game, I can't recall another amp I've played that made me feel quite like that. Strange!

14. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

I just played a Komet 60 (# 018, NOS Tubes, named "Paula", tweaked/signed by Ken Fischer). Holy s#@*!!!!
    Cheers,
    Oz

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. RAR

RAR Member

That's what I say when I hear demos of these amps... I'll probably never get to hear one in person.:(

16. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

That's great Simon.

17. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Nice. I bet that was awesome.

18. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I noticed this too.
    I did ask Hogy earlier in the thread if there was any English dealers still stocking Komets, but I think he missed it.

Would love to get my hands on one.

19. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Just call Ultrasound studios NY, and have them order one for you with the right voltage. Gene is a fantastic guy to doing business with.

20. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Sorry I missed that question.

As best I know, Chandler's hasn't ordered amps in quite a while. Not sure if they have anything in stock.

Gene at Ultrasound (Komet distributor) would be the one who knows what's available in England. Give him a call or send an e-mail, contact info is on the Komet website at www.kometamps.com.

Hogy, Komet Amplification.