Komet Aero 33

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cal1024, Apr 16, 2016.

1. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

Any of you guys have one of these? I got one about a month ago and am just loving it more and more every day as I get to know it better. It has taken me some time to really appreciate what it can do, but all of the talk about the touch sensitivity and being able to control everything with your guitar volume and tone knobs is right on. I'm using a Suhr Modern with great pots that work from 0-10, but after dialing in the Aero with the max gain I want, it really is as easy as dialing down for great cleans and switching pickups for all kinds of different flavors. I've tried a few pedals, but for now, the amp by itself just sounds the best.

I decided to sell my Matchless after getting a pretty comparable great chime with the Komet. With 4 EL84's that isn't too hard to believe, but I also spent some time yesterday trying to get it as close to my 2204 as possible. I know it can get easy to obsess over how close two amps are, but I'll just say that it was pretty close and it sounded really, really good. Just such a versatile and fun amp.

I'd love to hear any settings people like, speakers that work well, etc. Also any comparisons with other Komet models would be cool. Especially differences between the Concorde and the K60. I can't help but be curious about the bigger tubes, but these EL84s sound bigger here than in any amps I have heard before.

PurpleJesus and stratpaulguy86 like this.
  2. WindomEarle

WindomEarle Member

I actually prefer the Aero over the Concorde or the 60 and I am the furthest thing from a EL84 guy. May sound a bit strange, but my favorite speaker/cabinet was a tight little 1x10 tone tubby red cabinet. The cab had an opening about the size a little bigger than a golf ball on the back JPJ on a 12ft cable straight in-Blew me away. Keep in mind it was miced up juuust right. I know a lot of guys who swear by the blues/golds method with wreck style amps, but the hempcone speakers really seem to mellow out things in a good way to my ears. If you are speaking in terms of room sound, try standing in a different spot than normal and/or cock the amp 20-30 degrees. Crazy thing about Kenny's amps were the harmonics would spread so well that a certain speaker might have a half dozen sweet spots on it. Take two steps forward or two steps back and the amp could sound totally different. Komet amps seem to have the same effect.

Having said that, it's basically a well executed (and I mean absolutely zero disrespect to Kenny when I say this) modernized liverpool. The fast gradual is cool, the high cut is clutch on a liverpool amp, but not really needed IMO. A buddy of mine has a really nice komet 60 clone that set him back something like $1500. I truly feel like $4000 is a very high cost for that amp and their amps are overpriced in general. While they might have had Kenny's approval/backing towards the end of his short lived complete genius existence on earth, Kenny isn't wiring these Komet amps. Glad to see the Aero get some attention on this forum though. Great sounding amp.

cal1024 likes this.
  3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Had a K60. Amazing amp, but just too much for me volume wise.

Loved the sound and feel of the amps though and got a Songwroter instead. Much like the OP I did not like el84s at all. Now the SW has completely changed that. Just amazing punch, clarity, and swirling notes. Love it and will never part w it. I've got the tremolo Fischer designed on it too.

Between the SW and the 60 I think the SW is punchier/tighter and the 60 has a lot more gain on top. Fischer designed some special amps and Komet does a hell of a job keeping them going. I think they're worth every penny. Nothing else I've played sounds like them.

Glad you're digging the Aero! I didn't realize it was basically a Liverpool. Very cool!

Corinthian and cal1024 like this.
  4. cal1024

Agreed that there is a lot of volume even with the 33 watt Aero by the time you are into the good overdrive tones. The PowerStation works great with it, but is almost essential to have in my opinion. I'll play it unattenuated sometimes, but when you throw a drummer and another guitar player into the mix, it is quite a bit (too much for us) of volume. Sounds great in a group slightly attenuated though.

Right now I'm running a combo with a Scumback M75 and H75 which sounds very good. I have a couple of J75s that I might try today to compare. I'm on the list for a StoneAge 1x12 to make everything a little more mobile and am thinking about buying a Gold to try with that, but I may just stick with the Scumbacks.

A couple of the videos on the Songwriter make that amp just look outstanding as well. Glad you like it so much. Amazing how good those EL84s sound right? Definitely changed my mind on what was possible with them in this amp. I would like to try a few of those other models, but until I can turn over a couple of my other amps, I'll keep having fun with this Aero!

PurpleJesus likes this.
  5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm addicted to super touch sensitive amps, so totally appreciate the capabilities of these wonderful amps.

The 19 and Songwriter 30 have definitely caught my attention.

What would you say are the real world differences between the 30 and 33?

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Hey man, they both put out 33 watts RMS, but Komet lists the SW as the "Songwriter 30" for some reason. I'm sure the Aero is similar in terms of volume.....so louder than all hell :). It's definitely a reduction from the K60, and the best amp I've ever used with pedals. Also, agree about using the Power Station w/ these non-MV amps - the effects loop is just icing on the cake.

SW has much less gain than the Aero. With the volume all the way up on the SW I can get a great low-mid gain tone w/ single coils. Humbuckers take it into rock. I think the Aero's gain comes on much sooner, but @cal1024 will have to tell us where that is on the Aero. On the SW it's about Noon w/ humbuckers and 2:00 w/ single coils. Easily one of the best amps I've ever played. I actually prefer it to the 60 I had before.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

I have zero way to know, but both of my vintage Ampegs are not the usual build according to Jess Oliver.
    Ken was there, lead trouble shooter, engineer at Ampeg when my amps were built and they are both notably more aggressive than the typical 6LS7 octal tube offerings.

Both are extremely touch sensitive as well. Clean to crunch at well under half volume.

I can only wonder

PurpleJesus likes this.
  8. cal1024

Yeah, the Aero gain comes on sooner than that. I'm into classic rock mode with a humbucker around 11:00 on gradual and sooner on fast. GNR type tones at around 1:00 gradual and 11:00 fast with a Les Paul. That is with the guitar volume on 10...it cleans up well of course by backing off. I really don't ever max out the amp volume.

Here is a quote I found of Hogy comparing the Aero and Songwriter in this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/komet-aero-33.1363879/

PurpleJesus likes this.