Komet Amp Thread

sickboy79

Got the Songwriter 30 in today. I was expecting this to essentially be a clean platform. I was wrong. The amp has EL84s, which is different than my other Komets. The cleans definitely have a chime to them, but less of the high end sparkle that my Vimana has in the cleans. Turned up, it gets a nice, grinding drive that sounds fantastic for picked chords. Add in an overdrive and it just screams. Another killer amp that I'm glad I have from the Komet lineup. I've often wondered about how this one would fit in with what I already have from them. I have to say, it's a wonderful amplifier (as always). I recorded a few clips to demonstrate clean with my '72 Strat. The cleans are through a 4x10 loaded with Alnico Golds. The dirtier clips are through a 4x12 with G12M Greenbacks. First drive clip is just the amp (through a Power Station) and the second is the same with a Mirasol in front (one of my favorite pedals ever).

Great tones!

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Great tones!

Thank you! To me, one of the defining characteristics of a Komet is the ability to keep incredible note clarity and separation even at very high gain levels. I haven't really had another amp that can do that except maybe a Kelley.

sickboy79

Thank you! To me, one of the defining characteristics of a Komet is the ability to keep incredible note clarity and separation even at very high gain levels. I haven't really had another amp that can do that except maybe a Kelley.
I can hear that separation for sure!

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
Got the Songwriter 30 in today. I was expecting this to essentially be a clean platform. I was wrong. The amp has EL84s, which is different than my other Komets. The cleans definitely have a chime to them, but less of the high end sparkle that my Vimana has in the cleans. Turned up, it gets a nice, grinding drive that sounds fantastic for picked chords. Add in an overdrive and it just screams. Another killer amp that I'm glad I have from the Komet lineup. I've often wondered about how this one would fit in with what I already have from them. I have to say, it's a wonderful amplifier (as always). I recorded a few clips to demonstrate clean with my '72 Strat. The cleans are through a 4x10 loaded with Alnico Golds. The dirtier clips are through a 4x12 with G12M Greenbacks. First drive clip is just the amp (through a Power Station) and the second is the same with a Mirasol in front (one of my favorite pedals ever).

The only bad thing about Komets is that I want them all

blazzrock

Silver Supporting Member
I’m planning on picking up a Komet 60 this year. I’ve wanted one for about 12 years now, and always let the volume talk me out of it. It seems like there are some good options to remedy that these days. I don’t expect bedroom volume, but I would prefer to keep home volume around 80-85 decibels. What do you recommend for that? Power Station? UA OX? Would love to hear what is working best for you.

Brock

I walked into a shop the other day and they had a Concorde. It says PROMO 2 where the serial number should be. I barely played it. Just enough to buy it. I am out of town until Saturday and even tho I have a guitar, cord, and the Komet, I don't have a cab. So Saturday will be fun. Any info on PROMO 2?

tfarmer

I walked into a shop the other day and they had a Concorde. It says PROMO 2 where the serial number should be. I barely played it. Just enough to buy it. I am out of town until Saturday and even tho I have a guitar, cord, and the Komet, I don't have a cab. So Saturday will be fun. Any info on PROMO 2?
Is it in a red and white 60 head shell??

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I’m planning on picking up a Komet 60 this year. I’ve wanted one for about 12 years now, and always let the volume talk me out of it. It seems like there are some good options to remedy that these days. I don’t expect bedroom volume, but I would prefer to keep home volume around 80-85 decibels. What do you recommend for that? Power Station? UA OX? Would love to hear what is working best for you.
The only attenuation that I have heard that doesn't effect the tone is the Suhr Reactive load. Not an attenuator really but you trick your amp into thinking its going into another speaker cab. So you get all the dynamics and tone of the amp just with lower volume. Its great for taking a few db off the top. Not good for bedroom playing or late night but good to get to the sweet spot at rehearsal or a gig without blowing everyone's heads off. Every other attenuator, I have tried them all, have a negative impact on the tone. Anyone who says otherwise is not being honest with themselves.

ProfRhino

The only attenuation that I have heard that doesn't effect the tone is the Suhr Reactive load. Not an attenuator really but you trick your amp into thinking its going into another speaker cab. So you get all the dynamics and tone of the amp just with lower volume. Its great for taking a few db off the top. Not good for bedroom playing or late night but good to get to the sweet spot at rehearsal or a gig without blowing everyone's heads off. Every other attenuator, I have tried them all, have a negative impact on the tone. Anyone who says otherwise is not being honest with themselves.
absolutely true - that's what I use myself, and it's entirely transparent, both about tone & feel - a thing of beauty ! :love:
to be fair though, you'll need a poweramp as well.
it goes :
speaker out > Suhr RL > (tube) power amp > guitar cab. :idea
I'm using a Mesa 295 for this (not easily portable), but any half decent transparent power amp will do, even the power stage of another amp, as long as it does not distort on its own.

another really solid option (all in one, so easier for gigging) would be a Fryette Powerstation (guess @beckstriad is using that, right ?)

either one is highly recommended, both will also allow you to go DI into computer or PA, but in this case you will need to use IRs.

lots of related discussion here ...
ymmv,
Rhino

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
absolutely true - that's what I use myself, and it's entirely transparent, both about tone & feel - a thing of beauty ! :love:
it goes :
I'm using a Mesa 295 for this (not easily portable), but any half decent transparent power amp will do, even the power stage of another amp, as long as it does not distort on its own.

another really solid option (all in one, so easier for gigging) would be a Fryette Powerstation (guess @beckstriad is using that, right ?)

either one is highly recommended, both will also allow you to go DI into computer or PA, but in this case you will need to use IRs.

ymmv,
Rhino

The way I do it is a bit more streamline.

Speaker out 1> Guitar Cab
Speaker out 2> RL (dummy cab)

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Can anyone speak to the difference between the Komet 29 and the Aero 33? Both are EL84 based amps, and the Aero 33 has an additional preamp tube over the 29 (another gain stage?)

My gut feeling is that the K29 is meant to be something like a lower wattage K60 which uses EL84's as a big bottle alternative, whereas the Aero 33 is an entirely different circuit, not meant to be a low-wattage alternative, built from the ground up. Put another way in comparison to Trainwreck, I'm guessing that the K29 is like a low watt Express whereas the Aero 33 is more like a Rocket (ie Vox-ish).

Is that right or am I completely off?

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
Can anyone speak to the difference between the Komet 29 and the Aero 33? Both are EL84 based amps, and the Aero 33 has an additional preamp tube over the 29 (another gain stage?)

My gut feeling is that the K29 is meant to be something like a lower wattage K60 which uses EL84's as a big bottle alternative, whereas the Aero 33 is an entirely different circuit, not meant to be a low-wattage alternative, built from the ground up. Put another way in comparison to Trainwreck, I'm guessing that the K29 is like a low watt Express whereas the Aero 33 is more like a Rocket (ie Vox-ish).

That was my experience. The 29 was very much like the 60 is, but at lower wattage. The 33 was rowdier. Very much a “rock” amp. I think of it almost like the difference between the 60 and Concorde.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
it goes :

ymmv,
Rhino

Yep. The Power Station is a great option. I haven’t noticed any massive tone changes through a PS-2 or PS-100. Ox Box is damn good, too.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member

Actually the Aero 33 is closer to the K60. It has the same layout, fast/gradual. Very similar. I have owned all 3.
The K29 is may more of a vintage feel. More sag. Nicer bounce to it. I found the the Aero to be a little stiffer. Faster response.

Check out this thread. I responded when I had both. I can't remember all the details 3 years later.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom