Komet Amp Thread

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
I am awaiting a Komet 60HD that I found at a dealer in The Nederlands. It is wired as a 240V obviously, and have purchased a 500 watt step up transformer to work here in the US. Should this work ok? I can’t see any reason why not, but wasn’t sure.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I am awaiting a Komet 60HD that I found at a dealer in The Nederlands. It is wired as a 240V obviously, and have purchased a 500 watt step up transformer to work here in the US. Should this work ok? I can’t see any reason why not, but wasn’t sure.

Your amp can easily be rewired internally to run on 120V. Send an e-mail to info@kometamps.com and we’ll send you wiring instructions.

Hogy, Komet Amplification.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Spent another afternoon with the Songwriter. While I can see why the amp isn’t going to be for everyone, I really dig it. As expected it is very dynamic and responsive. It is substantially stiffer than most of the amps I play, however because of that I can get tones I can’t out of other amps. I feel like I have had a few minor epiphanies working through things with this amp.

I really like it with an open back 2x12 cab with a scumback sc75 / s75-pvc mix. It also sounds good through a mesa wide body loaded with an EV12.

I really like the clean tones, and then I have found some really nice dynamic lead tones with a pedal in front of it. It sounds amazing with a John Suhr sig limba guitar. Very rich, dynamic, sweet voice with great sustain. Fun amp!

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Spent another afternoon with the Songwriter. While I can see why the amp isn’t going to be for everyone, I really dig it. As expected it is very dynamic and responsive. It is substantially stiffer than most of the amps I play, however because of that I can get tones I can’t out of other amps. I feel like I have had a few minor epiphanies working through things with this amp.

I really like it with an open back 2x12 cab with a scumback sc75 / s75-pvc mix. It also sounds good through a mesa wide body loaded with an EV12.

I really like the clean tones, and then I have found some really nice dynamic lead tones with a pedal in front of it. It sounds amazing with a John Suhr sig limba guitar. Very rich, dynamic, sweet voice with great sustain. Fun amp!

Truly a phenomenal amp.

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member

I really want to try one of those.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
ah, so you use the RL to nuke 50% of the output power, fixed - yes, that works as well. :idea
you don't get the seamless volume control, or the option of interfacing FX post-amp that way, but that might not always be needed. :dunno

ymmv,
Rhino

You can still get post-amp effects using this type of setup. Run the unbalanced line out from the RL into the effects input and return the effects output directly into the returns on the AmbiKab.

ProfRhino

You can still get post-amp effects using this type of setup. Run the unbalanced line out from the RL into the effects input and return the effects output directly into the returns on the AmbiKab.
sure, if you already own an Ambikab, or another suitable slave amp, a version of the old W/D, W/D/W thing ... :dunno
you still won't get the transparent, seamless volume control though, which probably is the biggest attraction of re-amping (especially for NMV amps). :aok
I live in the grey area between clean and crunch, but my volume requirements vary between moderately loud (for recording) and "crank it !" for illegal fun ... :dude

lol, ymmv,
Rhino

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
So every time I click on a @beckstriad thread, I have yet another great amp to add on my list and explore/purchase. I don't know whether to add him to my Xmas card list or put him on my ignore list, as he's costing me a lot money. :)

I have very little experience with Komet and Trainwreck-type amps, only having a clone about 10 years ago that I sold to a buddy. It was at a time when attenuator technology wasn't as good as today and now that I have a Suhr RL, I'm certain I could have more enjoyment of this kind of amp.

Over the years, I had listened to all the Concorde clips, but I'd be really interested in differentiating between the Concord, K60, and 29, and Aero 33. I suppose the latter two (because of lower wattage) might be more my speed and I hope to find some representative clips. On youtube, there's this Simon guy who plays a lot of Komets, but his clips are so polished and produced, it's hard to get take on the differences. Also, what does the HD circuit/option mean?

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
So every time I click on a @beckstriad thread, I have yet another great amp to add on my list and explore/purchase. I don't know whether to add him to my Xmas card list or put him on my ignore list, as he's costing me a lot money. :)

I have very little experience with Komet and Trainwreck-type amps, only having a clone about 10 years ago that I sold to a buddy. It was at a time when attenuator technology wasn't as good as today and now that I have a Suhr RL, I'm certain I could have more enjoyment of this kind of amp.

Over the years, I had listened to all the Concorde clips, but I'd be really interested in differentiating between the Concord, K60, and 29, and Aero 33. I suppose the latter two (because of lower wattage) might be more my speed and I hope to find some representative clips. On youtube, there's this Simon guy who plays a lot of Komets, but his clips are so polished and produced, it's hard to get take on the differences. Also, what does the HD circuit/option mean?

While not a YT clip, Hogy's description below should help line things up.

The Komet 60, Concorde, K80 and Aero 33 are a family, together with the Trainwreck Express and Liverpool. Similar topology, similar feel and response.

The K19 and K29 are brothers, and completely different beasts with almost nothing in common with the K60 group besides tube types. Think of those as gained up early Tweed circuits in terms of lineage. They don't have TMB tone stacks or negative feedback. The feel is vintage and raw, very direct.

The Ken Fischer designed Songwriter 30 is to a vintage Vox AC30 Normal what the Trainwreck Rocket is to a vintage AC30 Top Boost. A highly refined Vox.

The Silver Cloud/Vimana was born out of my love for vintage Tweed Bassmans, AC30s and JTM45s. It's that topology, but highly tweaked. The output stage is pretty unique in that it runs cathode biased KT88s in Class A at fairly low voltage. There also is no negative feedback. It's the culmination of the best vintage amps I've played. My favorite amp, period.

The new Pulse Jet is also a fairly original design. The Treble and Bass controls are not a traditional tone stack, so there is none of the insertion loss and phasing issues associated with a tone stack. As a result, the tone and response is very direct, and related to the K19, K29 and Songwriter. It's a vintage feeling amp, but tighter and more precise than an old amp. Plenty of gain, and a bias modulation trem.

Hope this clears things up a bit

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member

Yep, @beckstriad has the same effect on me. If my wife knew how bad of an influence he is, she’d forbid me from talking to him.

On the K60 vs HD - my understanding is that the HD uses a solid state rectifier so it has a tighter low end. It’s an identical preamp, and I believe an otherwise identical power amp. The vanilla 60 will have a spongier, more vintage feel while the HD should be more modern, more snappy.

This is based on zero hands on experience with either mind you, I’m currently in the lust phase with these amps. Realistically it’s gonna be awhile before I’m able to pull the trigger on one, so plenty of time to learn and dream!

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
Yep, @beckstriad has the same effect on me. If my wife knew how bad of an influence he is, she’d forbid me from talking to him.

On the K60 vs HD - my understanding is that the HD uses a solid state rectifier so it has a tighter low end. It’s an identical preamp, and I believe an otherwise identical power amp. The vanilla 60 will have a spongier, more vintage feel while the HD should be more modern, more snappy.

This is based on zero hands on experience with either mind you, I’m currently in the lust phase with these amps. Realistically it’s gonna be awhile before I’m able to pull the trigger on one, so plenty of time to learn and dream!

Apologize for the I’ll effects on you gents. Ha ha just have to share my enthusiasm for what I believe are among the finest amps ever built.

I haven’t played a regular 60. The HD definitely has a tighter feel compared to the 29 that I owned. The 33 was similar, but I prefer the 60. The Concorde is in a similar lineage, but even more aggressive. I don’t think one can make a bad Komet choice, though. My favorites so far are 60 HD and Vimana.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Apologize for the I’ll effects on you gents. Ha ha just have to share my enthusiasm for what I believe are among the finest amps ever built.

I haven’t played a regular 60. The HD definitely has a tighter feel compared to the 29 that I owned. The 33 was similar, but I prefer the 60. The Concorde is in a similar lineage, but even more aggressive. I don’t think one can make a bad Komet choice, though. My favorites so far are 60 HD and Vimana.
Having been through so many top-notch amps, I'll be really interested in which ones are the keepers at the end of the day. I think a lot of us are basically learning as you (and your wallet) progress through these stellar amps, of all brands.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
Having been through so many top-notch amps, I'll be really interested in which ones are the keepers at the end of the day. I think a lot of us are basically learning as you (and your wallet) progress through these stellar amps, of all brands.

I’ve lighted on what I believe will be my long term amps, and am now selling off those that don’t fit what I believe to be “my” sound. I feel like I can pretty instantly tell now what’s a keeper and what won’t be. Sadly, I live in a part of the country where essentially all of this stuff is completely foreign to me. I’ve had some excellent guidance here (or maybe not). Ha ha

If you’re curious, Komet, Kelley, Bruno, Electroplex, Naylor, and Louis Electric are the amps that make the sounds I want to make. I still want a Dumble, and I’m still on the lookout for a specific Bogner or two to try, but I’m just about done buying amps.

I’ve had a hell of a lot of excellent other amps, but those are the tops for me.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
I can't do the "buy to try" thing these days. It's just too expensive, too time consuming and too much of a distraction. I am pretty happy where I have ended up, though. I have a Concorde for rocking out, a Vimana for funk and fusion and a Deliverance for the scorched earth stuff. Any of these amps could easily do it all, but that's how each of these works optimally for the various things that I do. I spend most of my time with the Vimana (Silver Cloud), though. That one is pretty special.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
I can't do the "buy to try" thing these days. It's just too expensive, too time consuming and too much of a distraction. I am pretty happy where I have ended up, though. I have a Concorde for rocking out, a Vimana for funk and fusion and a Deliverance for the scorched earth stuff. Any of these amps could easily do it all, but that's how each of these works optimally for the various things that I do. I spend most of my time with the Vimana (Silver Cloud), though. That one is pretty special.

Yeah, I'm getting there, too. I've had the chance to purchase what have become my grail amps in the past few months, and I'll probably do a bit more of that, but I'm otherwise done buying to try. Agree that it is a pretty painful endeavor other than getting to try some really amazing stuff.

cvriz

Wow, this thread just keeps goin. Lol. Happy Easter everyone.
My favorites by far are the 60 and Concorde. To me they are more Marshall than Wreck. With my Concored being a mix of jmp and 800. Ive only played thru new wrecks but Komets were tighter and sweeter. My Aero is more Wreck like, reminds me of a Liverpool. My 29 to be honest gives me fits. What I mean is after a few minutes I get ear fatigue. Its not the tones Im goin for, I just cant find a sweet spot. As far as why do people roll Komets, my take is that like any Non master amp, they are not easy to play. You need an attenuator, players like effects loops and padals,sound men demand stage volume control. To a player used to giggin a dsl a Komet is a shock to his system. Komets fit me, I have a tuner, delay ,od and of these the tuner only is used at a show. All I know is my Concorde and 60 are never goin anywhere! Just hope I can swing a Pulse Jet in the future!

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Also, what does the HD circuit/option mean?
The K60 has a tube rectifier. This affects the tone/feel directly, but it also limits the size of the filter caps that can be used. Just a fact based on rectifier design. In the K60 the primary power supply filter is 40mFd.

This means the amp has a pretty "vintage" feel and response. On the flipside, like all tube rectified amps, there is a bit of ghost noting from the power supply. Some like that, some don't.

The Concorde has a solid state rectifier and bigger filter caps. This makes the amp faster and tighter in the low end, at the expense of a slightly stiffer feel and a bit less of that harmonic "swoosh" (I think @splatt coined that term if memory serves).

The Concorde also has more gain in the preamp, and a more aggressive voicing. It is also optimized for EL34 tubes, where the K60 is happy with 6L6 types (and many others) as well.

The K60 HD splits the difference. K60 preamp and output stage. Can take all the output tubes the K60 can take. But Concorde power supply. So, in essence, a tighter, faster K60.

Hope this helps!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
The K60 has a tube rectifier. This affects the tone/feel directly, but it also limits the size of the filter caps that can be used. Just a fact based on rectifier design. In the K60 the primary power supply filter is 40mFd.

This means the amp has a pretty "vintage" feel and response. On the flipside, like all tube rectified amps, there is a bit of ghost noting from the power supply. Some like that, some don't.

The Concorde has a solid state rectifier and bigger filter caps. This makes the amp faster and tighter in the low end, at the expense of a slightly stiffer feel and a bit less of that harmonic "swoosh" (I think @splatt coined that term if memory serves).

The Concorde also has more gain in the preamp, and a more aggressive voicing. It is also optimized for EL34 tubes, where the K60 is happy with 6L6 types (and many others) as well.

The K60 HD splits the difference. K60 preamp and output stage. Can take all the output tubes the K60 can take. But Concorde power supply. So, in essence, a tighter, faster K60.

Hope this helps!

dude! you got that.
we called it, "Zhoozh", (pronounced jhuujh, as if it were a turkish or slavic word, lol).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom