Komet Amp Thread

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
@skhan007 how’s the K60HD treating you after another day with it? What guitars are you running into it?

I thought my pending Komet choice was pretty much between the K60HD and Vimana, but the Concorde has been running around my mind a lot the last few days.

Tough old life having to pick just one. :rotflmao

skhan007

@skhan007 how’s the K60HD treating you after another day with it? What guitars are you running into it?

I thought my pending Komet choice was pretty much between the K60HD and Vimana, but the Concorde has been running around my mind a lot the last few days.

Tough old life having to pick just one. :rotflmao
Hey! Well, I should take the time at some point to post a proper NAD review and will likely just do it on this thread.

I’m currently playing a lot of guitars through the K60HD, as I’ve been really putting it through the paces since it arrived a few days ago. Guitars have included Les Paul R9, PRS McCarty, PRS CU22, EBMM Albert Lee, set-neck “Blackmore” Stratocaster, Telecaster, and Strandberg Boden. I’ll get around to the P90 guitars next.

Honestly, this amp seems to do remarkably well with both single coil and humbucker guitars, which is not something I’m used to. I find it somewhat mind-blowing that I can switch from a Les Paul to a strat and really only make a very slight adjustment to the hi-cut knob, and it sounds glorious.

I know I’m still honeymooning, but the K60HD might be in the top 2 of the very best amps I’ve heard/owned/played. The clean-to-mean thing is like no other amp. I thought I had that feature already in other amps, but not as good as this one.

I’ve played the amp with my Marshall 412 and Rock Crusher attenuator, as well as with the Suhr RL into a headphone set up. The amp just sings, sustains, blossoms, and has such INSANE touch response. There’s not a bad tone, despite how I play with the EQ settings. It just does not get harsh at all.

I can’t speak to other models, having never played them, so I really couldn’t help narrow it down between this, the Concorde, etc. I can say that I recently played a tube rectified K60 (an early 2002 model) and I like the K60HD better. It stays tighter at higher gain/volume, where the K60 was a bit too loose sounding for me.

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Hey! Well, I should take the time at some point to post a proper NAD review and will likely just do it on this thread.

I’m currently playing a lot of guitars through the K60HD, as I’ve been really putting it through the paces since it arrived a few days ago. Guitars have included Les Paul R9, PRS McCarty, PRS CU22, EBMM Albert Lee, set-neck “Blackmore” Stratocaster, Telecaster, and Strandberg Boden. I’ll get around to the P90 guitars next.

Honestly, this amp seems to do remarkably well with both single coil and humbucker guitars, which is not something I’m used to. I find it somewhat mind-blowing that I can switch from a Les Paul to a strat and really only make a very slight adjustment to the hi-cut knob, and it sounds glorious.

I know I’m still honeymooning, but the K60HD might be in the top 2 of the very best amps I’ve heard/owned/played. The clean-to-mean thing is like no other amp. I thought I had that feature already in other amps, but not as good as this one.

I’ve played the amp with my Marshall 412 and Rock Crusher attenuator, as well as with the Suhr RL into a headphone set up. The amp just sings, sustains, blossoms, and has such INSANE touch response. There’s not a bad tone, despite how I play with the EQ settings. It just does not get harsh at all.

I can’t speak to other models, having never played them, so I really couldn’t help narrow it down between this, the Concorde, etc. I can say that I recently played a tube rectified K60 (an early 2002 model) and I like the K60HD better. It stays tighter at higher gain/volume, where the K60 was a bit too loose sounding for me.

It's a phenomenal amp, for sure. Play it in good health!

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
Did some rolling of the pre-amp tubes in the Songwriter today. I'll admit to being a cork sniffer and I'm running vintage tubes in nearly all of my amps. Based on how I play the songwriter, I didn't hear much of a difference. Definitely not enough to justify the swap. It has me looking at these Sovtek 12AX7 LPS in a different light.
Sovtek 12AX7 LPS are nothing to scoff at. They are neat. I really dig them in PI position. What tubes did you try? I am getting a couple of more NOS Mullards and maybe another Bugle Boy to hold on to for any other Komet.

highgeer

Gold Supporting Member
Have you also tried Single Getters?

I'm only asking because Greg at HiTest once told me that Double Getters are not necessarily the best option for many Amps.

Seems as though there is this "voodoo" around them because everyone says Double Getters.

:beer
Yes, I tried as many variation as I could find and at about 1:00-2:00 I definitely prefer the XF2s.

mike

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Sovtek 12AX7 LPS are nothing to scoff at. They are neat. I really dig them in PI position. What tubes did you try? I am getting a couple of more NOS Mullards and maybe another Bugle Boy to hold on to for any other Komet.

I have a selection of Mullards and Amerpex that I've tried in it. Today I was focused on trying the long plate Amperex I recently picked up.

ProfRhino

Regarding 12AX7's, (correct me if I'm wrong), most of the benefit comes from first gain stage (V1) and tonestack (V2) changes. The phase inverter (V3), I don't recall having much impact on anything when swapped; at least in all my old Marshalls. That being said, as I'm mostly playing with gain, do we like Philips, Tungsrams, and Mullards in V1 & V2? I'm going to start to search some out in the Emporium or through any of you with tubes to sell.
allow me to disagree in part.
  • V1 - obviously.
  • V2 - to me, that's the least critical position, you can get away with lots of different tubes (no Russians, if it's a cathode follower circuit)
  • V3 (PI) A - a long plate tends to give you a bigger, more "3D", or clearer soundstage regardless of gain level - I basically require them for cleans at least
  • V3 (PI) B - some long plates, often being older types, have a particularly pleasant drive character, namely Philips related tubes - this only becomes apparent if the PI really gets driven.
talking about the common 3 tube, single channel preamps and related circuits, not specifically about Komets.
I have yet to see such a circuit where the above would not apply - however, the significance varies to some degree.

ime, imho, ymmv,
Rhino

skhan007

O1WfAv7.jpg
NHD!!

Just got my new Komet hat in the mail! It is just amazing, and it does the shade thing very well. It’s a superior design to other similar models and I can honestly say that I’ll be honeymooning for a while.

Scott P

Silver Supporting Member
Still loving my Komet 60. It is my primary amp for shows. It's currently loaded with Sylvania 6CA7s, a trio of Canadian made Amperex preamp tubes and a Mullard recifier. I drive the front end with a Helix HX FX and Lehle volume pedal. There is nothing I can't cover with it.

8jC7lRrl.jpg

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
O1WfAv7.jpg
NHD!!

Just got my new Komet hat in the mail! It is just amazing, and it does the shade thing very well. It’s a superior design to other similar models and I can honestly say that I’ll be honeymooning for a while.
Wardrobe not complete without the Komet Tee Shirt!

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
The Komet 60, Concorde, K80 and Aero 33 are a family, together with the Trainwreck Express and Liverpool. Similar topology, similar feel and response.

The Ken Fischer designed Songwriter 30 is to a vintage Vox AC30 Normal what the Trainwreck Rocket is to a vintage AC30 Top Boost. A highly refined Vox.

I’ve been thinking about Hogy’s comment on the Songwriter here. How gainy does it get?

All the Songwriter clips I’ve heard are clean or low, low-mid gain, but the comparison to a AC30 normal voiced Trainwreck Rocket would lead me to expect it to be capable of higher gain.

Also curious if anyone has experience with the tremolo circuit option?

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been thinking about Hogy’s comment on the Songwriter here. How gainy does it get?

All the Songwriter clips I’ve heard are clean or low, low-mid gain, but the comparison to a AC30 normal voiced Trainwreck Rocket would lead me to expect it to be capable of higher gain.

I am also interested in this as Vox is one of my favorite amps. The old ones that is. The new ones sound good but just don’t sound as good. Been wanting a Songwriter for about 7 years now.

skhan007

So dig this...

I tried a re-amping method that worked out great (and saves me $1K so I don't have to buy a Power Station). I ran the K60HD into my Suhr RL and the line out into the effects return of my Fuchs ODS. The Fuchs is plugged into a cab and the output volume is managed with the effects return level on the back of the amp. There you go! Crazy insane beautiful Komet tones at any manageable volume level.

Borealis

Gold Supporting Member
O1WfAv7.jpg
NHD!!

That’s one sweet hat!
Congrats and HNHD!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member

I can't speak to how it compares against an AC30, but I consider the songwriter 30 a clean machine. With regular output single coils it goes just past the edge of breakup when dimed and the guitar volume maxed. You can get a bit more push with humbuckers, but it definitely stays together and remains punchy. I tend to like the down setting on the bright switch, but the up position (more bright) may get it closer to the AC30 tones.

For dirt tones, I think you want to use a pedal. What I find interesting is that I don't typically use pedals for dirty tones, except for amps like the songwriter. I'm finding that it responds well to various pedals and retains that note definition and overall dynamics.

skhan007

I have a selection of Mullards and Amerpex that I've tried in it. Today I was focused on trying the long plate Amperex I recently picked up.
Definitely keep me posted if you have any interest in parting with any of your 12ax7's. I'd prefer to source tubes from a fellow forum member than ebay/elsewhere!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom