Komet Amp Thread

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone care to share their experience ordering directly from Komet? My plan to demo various Komets in person and order through a dealer fell through.

If you pay in full up-front, do you get the amp sooner when they start that batch?

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Anyone care to share their experience ordering directly from Komet? My plan to demo various Komets in person and order through a dealer fell through.

If you pay in full up-front, do you get the amp sooner when they start that batch?

Possibly. Depends on the amp. If it's one they're not currently building, you may just be put on a wait list. Sometimes paying in full will guarantee you get one of the first ones when they're built.

hogy

Komet is a small operation with one person doing most of the building. We're not sitting on any inventory. We build amps in batches, because it makes the most sense to order components in batches and streamline production as much as possible. Everything is made by hand, right down to drilling component boards and punching eyelets.

We don't like taking money up front unless we have a very clear idea of a timeline for completion and delivery. Right now we are building the new Pulse Jet models.

Once we're building a batch of specific amp models and have everything lined up, we can take a down payment. I think K60s/Concordes are up after this current run of Pulse Jets, but to get the exact timeline, please e-mail Mike at info@kometamps.com.

I apologize if this is frustrating, we just aren't slinging them out like a big factory.

Hogy, Komet Amplification

Last edited:

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member

Which one was the one you are interested in?

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Komet is a small operation with one person doing most of the building. We're not sitting on any inventory. We build amps in batches, because it makes the most sense to order components in batches and streamline production as much as possible. Everything is made by hand, right down to drilling component boards and punching eyelets.

We don't like taking money up front unless we have a very clear idea of a timeline for completion and delivery. Right now we are building the new Pulse Jet models.

Once we're building a batch of specific amp models and have everything lined up, we can take a down payment. I think K60s/Concordes are up after that, but to get the exact timeline, please e-mail Mike at info@kometamps.com.

I apologize if this is frustrating, we just aren't slinging them out like a big factory.

Thanks Hogy, just shot Mike a note!

No sweat, I think a lot of people here appreciate that you're a small shop cranking out the good work.

Which one was the one you are interested in?

I've been back-and-forth all over this thread, but it basically comes down to deciding between a K60HD and a Vimana. I was hoping to get a chance to demo various models at Ultrasound in NYC as I'm visiting in a few weeks, but Gene is no longer doing in-person demos sadly. Given the chance to sit down and play both I may have picked the Vimana, but without that chance I'll probably go with my "safe" choice of the K60HD.

Once we're building a batch of specific amp models and have everything lined up, we can take a down payment. I think K60s/Concordes are up after this current run of Pulse Jets, but to get the exact timeline, please e-mail Mike at info@kometamps.com.

Of all the company's in the amp business I would have no hesitation dropping some $ up front regarding Komet.
I paid in full for my 60 up front on a hunch 20 years ago....
Blah blah blah have a nice day
:)

CarterB

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered my Vimana directly from Komet a couple of months ago. Spoke with Mike on the phone for a good bit before ordering. The entire experience was first rate, Mike was fun to talk to and very helpful. And the amp…… ?…..my God….!….what a sound! Good luck with your decision. No need to spend any time worrying about doing a direct purchase.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
I ordered my Vimana directly from Komet a couple of months ago. Spoke with Mike on the phone for a good bit before ordering. The entire experience was first rate, Mike was fun to talk to and very helpful. And the amp…… ?…..my God….!….what a sound! Good luck with your decision. No need to spend any time worrying about doing a direct purchase.

100%. Mike is truly fantastic, as is Hogy. He keeps you up to date on everything going on with construction and where they are in the build run. They make some of the finest amps anywhere. I’ll always be a huge Komet fan and supporter. And, the Vimana is my favorite Komet amp (so far). Pulse Jet is going to be great, too.

n4p226r

Silver Supporting Member
My wife talked me into getting A/C installed in our house, so I took that opportunity to pitch to her that we also needed a Komet for the house. :rotflmao

She agreed, it’s on!

I’m leaning K60HD because I think it’ll be the most versatile, but I’m remaining open minded to try a few at Ultrasound in a few weeks (if I can get ahold of Gene) before making up my mind. The Vimana and Songwriter are currently the other top contenders.

Folks with a K60, are you all running EL34s or have you experimented with other power tube types?
where is ultrasound now? I miss their ultra room when they were in NYC

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Hogy, just shot Mike a note!

No sweat, I think a lot of people here appreciate that you're a small shop cranking out the good work.

I've been back-and-forth all over this thread, but it basically comes down to deciding between a K60HD and a Vimana. I was hoping to get a chance to demo various models at Ultrasound in NYC as I'm visiting in a few weeks, but Gene is no longer doing in-person demos sadly. Given the chance to sit down and play both I may have picked the Vimana, but without that chance I'll probably go with my "safe" choice of the K60HD.
Funny enough my "safe" choice" was the Vimana. I saw the demo video of the Silver Cloud and it was exactly what I wanted. I was a bit hesitant at first because he used V30 and I can hear their character in the video, but I figured I can similar or better tones with a different set of speakers. I wasnt wrong. I dont like v30s that much, although they sound great with certain amps. My first Komet was a K19 and that amp was amazing. I know the Pulse Jet is new but I would not shy from that amp at all too.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
where is ultrasound now? I miss their ultra room when they were in NYC

Their main 21 room space in NYC shut down sadly, a developer purchased and demolished it. They still operate out of NYC doing amp sales, but they no longer do demos. I tried pretty hard to convince Gene to let me do a demo (offered to pay for the amp in full up front and haul them from his office to a studio), but he wasn't interested. They still do demos out of their west coast location but I wasn't able to make the dates work in this instance.

skhan007

I've had nothing but odd interactions with Gene from UltraSound. I've reached out to him twice to purchase two different amps, cash in-hand, ready to go. He's always been too busy. He'd call me back and apologize and state he'll pull together pricing for me, was stuck in a snow storm, etc. and never followed up. Twice! So weird.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
The reality these days is to buy Komet amps direct from the builder. Mike and Hogy are stellar and have integrity. Worse case scenario, you buy a Komet, you will be able to sell it should you want a different model. They are ALL great amps, just need to figure out what you are going for.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Funny enough my "safe" choice" was the Vimana. I saw the demo video of the Silver Cloud and it was exactly what I wanted. I was a bit hesitant at first because he used V30 and I can hear their character in the video, but I figured I can similar or better tones with a different set of speakers. I wasnt wrong. I dont like v30s that much, although they sound great with certain amps. My first Komet was a K19 and that amp was amazing. I know the Pulse Jet is new but I would not shy from that amp at all too.

Are you talking about the Shawn Tubbs video? Yeah it sounds phenomenal, though I agree about disliking V30s in general.

I have really appreciated the clips that @beckstriad shared throughout this thread, there's been some really good ones that show the character of the Vimana vs some of the other models.

You and a bunch of other people have had great stuff to say about the Pulse Jet. I don't really know much about it, anyone have a clip they'd like to share?

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
I've had nothing but odd interactions with Gene from UltraSound. I've reached out to him twice to purchase two different amps, cash in-hand, ready to go. He's always been too busy. He'd call me back and apologize and state he'll pull together pricing for me, was stuck in a snow storm, etc. and never followed up. Twice! So weird.

The reality these days is to buy Komet amps direct from the builder. Mike and Hogy are stellar and have integrity. Worse case scenario, you buy a Komet, you will be able to sell it should you want a different model. They are ALL great amps, just need to figure out what you are going for.

Good to know it wasn't just me. I didn't feel particularly valued as an Ultrasound customer, so I'd rather take my business straight to Komet.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member
Are you talking about the Shawn Tubbs video? Yeah it sounds phenomenal, though I agree about disliking V30s in general.

I have really appreciated the clips that @beckstriad shared throughout this thread, there's been some really good ones that show the character of the Vimana vs some of the other models.

You and a bunch of other people have had great stuff to say about the Pulse Jet. I don't really know much about it, anyone have a clip they'd like to share?

Thanks, man! I need to put together a few more of that amp. It’s astonishingly good. @GAT did a couple of threads last year about it. Definitely go check those out. He tried it with different tubes. Monster amp.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member

Top Bottom