Komet Amp Thread

ProfRhino

Hey! Well, I put the '62 Bugle boy in V1, the '59 Mullard in V2, and the '65 Mullard in V3. I tried many different permutations and this one sounded REALLY good. Oddly, the 60's GE long plate was really good in V1, as well. Surprisingly so. It's stiff competition for the Bugle Boy.
sounds like a killer setup ! :love:
and I totally agree - there are always alternatives, like your GE. :cool:

over here, I try lots of things with every amp.
eventually things will settle down, and then I leave this amp alone and simply enjoy playing it ... :dunno
took me a few years, but by now almost all of my amps have "reached nirvana" (not the band !), 90% select old glass, a few LPS or 6N4 inbetween, and I don't regret anything !

have fun !
Rhino

Last edited:

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone had good luck with fuzzes and their Komets? They really don’t work for me with most amps except the typical Marshall. They just sound like mush to me. With Komets they sound good but different. The last one I tried was the Oz fuzz from vemuram and it was killer. The Artisan from Kingsley is good too. Any recommendations?
I use Analogman Sun Faces and like how they sound with the songwriter. I found it stayed pretty clear and articulate which is good because I don’t go for wooly fuzz tones.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
I use Analogman Sun Faces and like how they sound with the songwriter. I found it stayed pretty clear and articulate which is good because I don’t go for wooly fuzz tones.

That's interesting to hear.

My hope is that the Sun Face would give a smooth, Eric Johnson-y tone with the 60HD. His lead tone is pretty rolled off on the top end but it's not too hairy, there's still clarity in chords.

How do you run your Sun Face typically?

skhan007

Ok Gents, now that I feel like I've gotten my preamp tubes sorted, I have the option of sticking with the stock EH EL34s, which sound quite good. No complaints. However, I have a box full of old EL 34's just sitting, so today I put in these old (70's?) Tesla E34-L tubes. They sound like pure rock 'n roll. If I recall, these are very gainy versions of the EL34. The preamp tubes are Bugle Boy, Mullard, and Mullard.

r93YRtkh.jpg

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Ok Gents, now that I feel like I've gotten my preamp tubes sorted, I have the option of sticking with the stock EH EL34s, which sound quite good. No complaints. However, I have a box full of old EL 34's just sitting, so today I put in these old (70's?) Tesla E34-L tubes. They sound like pure rock 'n roll. If I recall, these are very gainy versions of the EL34. The preamp tubes are Bugle Boy, Mullard, and Mullard.

r93YRtkh.jpg

Let's hear it!

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
OK...Spontaneous, random, and here it is.

K60HD with Amperex, Mullard, Mullard (V1-V3) and Tesla E34-L (V4 & V5).

Amp--> Suhr RL-->Two Notes CAB M (412 Greenback IR)-->Lexicon PCM 81 (Reverb)-->Garageband and no editing/smoothing.

8rJO2BOh.jpg

Nice!! Good stuff!

blazzrock

Silver Supporting Member
So, what can you all tell me about the differences between the regular K60 and the HD from your experience.

skhan007

So, what can you all tell me about the differences between the regular K60 and the HD from your experience.
I found the K60 to be looser at higher gain settings with some of the ghost notes and sag happening. It wasn't for me. I find the HD tighter in the bass, more precise sounding with higher gain, and more fluid. I suppose it really comes down to your style of playing. I like a lot of separation and note definition with high gain, so the HD was more my thing.

Also, read post #438 for some great info from Hogy.

Last edited:

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member

Amp--> Suhr RL-->Two Notes CAB M (412 Greenback IR)-->Lexicon PCM 81 (Reverb)-->Garageband and no editing/smoothing.

8rJO2BOh.jpg

Sounds f’in awesome, thanks for sharing! Gorgeous cleans, gorgeous leads.

Those Dio riffs \m/

ProfRhino

8rJO2BOh.jpg

superb tones and playing, and you showcase what is so unique about these circuits - the dynamic transition from clean to crunch right from the start ! :aok

great stuff - keep them coming ! :cool:
Rhino

what guitar did you use, btw ?

skhan007

superb tones and playing, and you showcase what is so unique about these circuits - the dynamic transition from clean to crunch right from the start ! :aok

great stuff - keep them coming ! :cool:
Rhino

what guitar did you use, btw ?
Thanks! I used a controversial guitar that I love, but seemingly not too many other guys like: Strandberg Boden. It’s a jack of all trades and plays/sounds exceptionally good.

ProfRhino

Thanks! I used a controversial guitar that I love, but seemingly not too many other guys like: Strandberg Boden. It’s a jack of all trades and plays/sounds exceptionally good.
you're right, that's so not my kind of guitar, but hey - you apparently enjoy her and make her sound great, that's all that matters ! :cool:

thanks for the info,
Rhino

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Yes!! PJ #7 here! Tweaking away on a 1x12. So far I dig it. I really need to take it to the studio and try it on my 4x12

#4 came in for me, too. This is my favorite Komet so far. None of them have been slouches, obviously. I love the voice on this amp.

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
#4 came in for me, too. This is my favorite Komet so far. None of them have been slouches, obviously. I love the voice on this amp.
The Vimana is still my favorite but that’s because I have dialed it in where I want it. However, this thing is voice very sweet. Compared to the Vimana, it is “thinner”. Not in a bad way. Just has a upper frequency focus. The Bias tremolo is very very very good! Like a Brownface Deluxe trem. But has slower speeds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom