Komet Amp Thread

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
So this thread prompted me to finally quit *****-footing around and just buy one of these speakers already, I've been thinking about them non-stop since Hogy identified them as a favorite speaker. I purchased this one from Mike in Michigan, looks in decent shape, we'll see if it survives shipping or needs a recone.

View attachment 631640

Ha! I didn't think about it but I guess that word would be taken out of context and scrubbed from my post :p

rykus

Gold Supporting Member
Nice head cab! Did you build it? I'm thinking of doing the same. One with just replacing the front panel and one with the whole cab like that,,,

Great score on the SRO! I was just playing my new English through the one I have in my modded Twin reverb. Sounds soo good like a greenback with a tight low end and a nicer high end but still has that growling mid punch. One of my favorites too!

The Komet is a KF50. They only made 30 plus 3 or 4 prototypes. This is one of the prototypes and I had a really hard time not buying the one I just saw at auction too lol they are amazing amps and became the concord I believe but maybe this one has a different transformer or something because I think the concord can take other tubes in the power section maybe. Either way it came in the hardwood cab as part of the LTD release, plus NOS tubes I believe as well as a tip of the hat to Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amps who I believe helped with the design in some ways.

I had a cabinet builder grab some bubinga to make a matching 4x12 based off an ampeg design but haven't heard back in a long time. But yeah I love the hardwood amps! Was lusting after the KF50 since I first saw one when they where released!

Last edited:

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
Great score on the SRO! I was just playing my new English through the one I have in my modded Twin reverb. Sounds soo good like a greenback with a tight low end and a nicer high end but still has that growling mid punch. One of my favorites too!

The Komet is a KF50. They only made 30 plus 3 or 4 prototypes. This is one of the prototypes and I had a really hard time not buying the one I just saw at auction too lol they are amazing amps and became the concord I believe but maybe this one has a different transformer or something because I think the concord can take other tubes in the power section maybe. Either way it came in the hardwood cab as part of the LTD release, plus NOS tubes I believe as well as a tip of the hat to Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amps who I believe helped with the design in some ways.

I had a cabinet builder grab some bubinga to make a matching 4x12 based off an ampeg design but haven't heard back in a long time. But yeah I love the hardwood amps! Was lusting after the KF50 since I first saw one when they where released!
The special amps deserve hardwood cabs, IMO. It also makes for a good selling point if you ever decide to sell.

Hopefully your cabinet builder grabbed the bubinga before this supply chain and inflation madness. I haven't built anything significant for a couple of years so I'm not sure what kind of selection I'll have and at what price. We'll see!

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
In my demo videos you can hear the JMPish sound, there is that growl that reminds me of David Grissom's Marshall era tone. But, it does not have that rip your ears out high mid/treble spike either. It's really hard to make the Pulse Jet sound bad.
Same goes with the Vimana. I think it's Hogys tuning and ears. These amps are crazy good.

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody know when the next batch of Jet Pulses are planned? I'm on the list but don't have any idea what the schedule looks like, parts coming in, etc.

thx

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard it said that the Pulse Jet's tremolo enhances the sound of the amp even at the minimum setting where you really can't hear it but you know something different is going on? Anyone try that?

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I have 5 vintage coffee can SROs… two are wired in a vintage Fender cab for 4 ohm, 2 wired in a vintage fender cab with some repairs inside for 16 ohms, and one just that had a tear and is repaired…

I was going back and forth on whether or not I would list it for sale, but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM… would love to share the wealth

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Last week Mike told me that the parts for the PJ were there and he was making the next batch. Probably mid-late July shipping, but don't quote me on this.

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
I got an EVH 5150III 4x12 with the rebranded heritage 20s for my backup /take out cab and its killer! I got it for way less than the 4 speakers cost and the cab is actually really nice too and sounds great. Mine are just hitting the 100hr mark I bet and are really sounding great. Love greenbacks the most too, the 70s blackbacks are my favorite, bit brighter and growls.

Got a gold ruby mixed 4x12 but I really want to get a 4x12 of blues or rubies. Thinking of mixing the golds with some 70s g30h I have... but I'd need another cab and I just scored an old PRS cab with the g12-50s..

My KF50 loves greenbacks but the alnicos sound great too.

Just to add to the list: Jensen Blackbirds,,, I missed trying that cab previously while making the rounds with the Vimana and I like it. It's low end accentuates the Vimana's "big ass" when playing clean (relatively).

skhan007

Thanks to a buddy of mine, I’ve got some (new to me) vintage 12ax7’s to try out in my K60HD:

L to R:
  • 53-58 ge long grey plate
  • 64 sylvania long grey plate
  • 59 rca long grey plate
  • 60 Raytheon Baldwin black plate
  • 59 Raytheon long plate black plate
  • 57 Tung sol long grey plate
Mk1sXUc.jpg

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks to a buddy of mine, I’ve got some (new to me) vintage 12ax7’s to try out in my K60HD:

L to R:
  • 53-58 ge long grey plate
  • 64 sylvania long grey plate
  • 59 rca long grey plate
  • 60 Raytheon Baldwin black plate
  • 59 Raytheon long plate black plate
  • 57 Tung sol long grey plate
Mk1sXUc.jpg
I'll be super-interested in the results. I've always been a toe-dipper with tube-rolling, would love to try them all but it helps to narrow down the search!

skhan007

I'll be super-interested in the results. I've always been a toe-dipper with tube-rolling, would love to try them all but it helps to narrow down the search!
I’ll definitely post some impressions. Thinking about all my tube amps, and there are a lot of them, the K60HD is particularly sensitive to preamp tubes swaps. More so than all my other amps.

What I find curious is that overwhelmingly so, most guys talk about and revere the legendary European tubes of yesteryear. Mostly Mullard, Amperex, etc. Those are all excellent, but rarely do I hear about US tubes.

The first tube in the picture, the mid 50s GE, sounds incredible in V1. Easily as good or better than the ‘62 bugle boy that is currently in that slot. I’ll look forward to test driving all of these in the coming week.

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll definitely post some impressions. Thinking about all my tube amps, and there are a lot of them, the K60HD is particularly sensitive to preamp tubes swaps. More so than all my other amps.

What I find curious is that overwhelmingly so, most guys talk about and revere the legendary European tubes of yesteryear. Mostly Mullard, Amperex, etc. Those are all excellent, but rarely do I hear about US tubes.

The first tube in the picture, the mid 50s GE, sounds incredible in V1. Easily as good or better than the ‘62 bugle boy that is currently in that slot. I’ll look forward to test driving all of these in the coming week.
Awesome!!

I've found that some amps love American made tubes, while a lot of the others love the European tubes.

I've never played a Komet myself, but I look forward to living vicariously through your experiment! Looking forward to the results!!

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone taken delivery of a Komet lately?

I’m sure things are just crazy as usual with the supply chain, don’t want to bug Mike about my 60HD.

ProfRhino

IWhat I find curious is that overwhelmingly so, most guys talk about and revere the legendary European tubes of yesteryear. Mostly Mullard, Amperex, etc. Those are all excellent, but rarely do I hear about US tubes.

I've found that some amps love American made tubes, while a lot of the others love the European tubes.
this, in a nutshell ! :agree
and not being into Fenders so much, kinda rules out the larger part of the "US lovers" for me ...
another reason is certainly availability - here in EU, anything US older than '70s is basically unobtainium these days - and I find about the only place where those common 70s GE, RCA, JAN etc short plates don't suck is, wait for it, BF & SF circuits ... :dunno
ime, these are lacking the nicest part of the tube magic - call it what you want, harmonics, overtones, chime - maybe there's a better word, but the observation is repeatable 100%.
12AT7s and 5751s sometimes (!) fare a little better, and I love Sylvania- and RCA 6L6.
those 3 or 4 older US long plates I have been able to snag live in the PI of D-styles, or in V1 of my Magica (which exclusively handles the BF channel) - these do a great job, no complaints.
but if somebody offered me a 1:1 trade for some mCs - man, oh man ! :omg
they would be gone in a minute ... :drool

but this is merely my personal take, the great thing about tubes is that they allow you to tweak your amps to your individual taste ! :cool:

so ymmv,
Rhino

Top Bottom