Komet Amp Thread

blazzrock

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone taken delivery of a Komet lately?

I’m sure things are just crazy as usual with the supply chain, don’t want to bug Mike about my 60HD.
Last time I spoke with them, I was under the impression that they weren’t going to be building K60’s until late summer.

GregProulx1

Silver Supporting Member
PJ #6 checking in.

This is my first Komet and I’m pretty impressed with everything from the quality of the amp and the customer service. Mike is the man : )

3CDF9760-B6E9-4803-9324-94101B734BD7.jpeg

I’ve spent a few hours last weekend really dialing in my Pulse Jet. I’m running it through a Komet 1x12 with a Celestion G1265. I know others have said this, but the noise floor is so low on this amp. I’m playing a two humbucker guitar with 3 way mini switches that can select the bridge side single coil, full humbucker and neck single coil on each pickup. There is very little noise when the single coils are selected. It is pretty amazing. I almost can’t use the single coils with my K60.

Tone wise, the PJ sits between my K60 and Silver Cloud. The K60 seems to have more highs/mids and, IMO the low/mids of the SC are magic which compliment the massive low end of the KT88s.

I got an email from Mike saying they accidentally set up my amp with EL34s instead of 6V6s. I can’t believe I didn’t notice this when I checked the tubes before fired it up for the 1st time. Mike sent me a set of 6V6s to switch out but I’ve been loving the EL34s. While all Komets are amazing, the PJ is special IMO.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Cool! I thought the PJ sounded great with the 6V6s but I really loved the EL34s.

Cool! I thought the PJ sounded great with the 6V6s but I really loved the EL34s.

Did you notice a significant volume difference with 6V6s?

I played a gig with my low power K60 (EL34s) last weekend and could only turn it up 1/4 of the way. It still sounded great but I’m hoping to be able to push the PJ with 6V6s a little more.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
It is a little quieter for sure. Still pretty loud though if you’re cranking the volume knob for dirt.

skhan007

Did you notice a significant volume difference with 6V6s?

I played a gig with my low power K60 (EL34s) last weekend and could only turn it up 1/4 of the way. It still sounded great but I’m hoping to be able to push the PJ with 6V6s a little more.
Not familiar with the low power k60. Is that a previous model? What are the specs?

skhan007

Thanks to a buddy of mine, I’ve got some (new to me) vintage 12ax7’s to try out in my K60HD:

L to R:
  • 53-58 ge long grey plate
  • 64 sylvania long grey plate
  • 59 rca long grey plate
  • 60 Raytheon Baldwin black plate
  • 59 Raytheon long plate black plate
  • 57 Tung sol long grey plate
Mk1sXUc.jpg
Quoting my earlier post to update everyone on my initial test-drive of these beautiful 12ax7 tubes in V1 of my K60HD. I spent a few days with each one and took notes, using the same guitar, same amp settings, and same speaker/IR set up.

Same order as the picture above:

• 1964 Sylvania long grey plate: Very smooth break up, clear, good note separation, and felt like a great tone for fusion. Good gain.
  • 1959 RCA long grey plate: Very hot, driven, and raucous. Brought out the beast in the K60HD. Excellent choice is you want mostly hot gain tones.
  • 1960 Raytheon Baldwin branded black plate: Very clean, less gain, more pushing edge of break up, brighter sounding, and immediate clean sounds with guitar volume rolled back. Great on the split/single coil tones. Classic sounding.
  • 1959 Raytheon Lowery branded long black plate: Very present in the midrange with excellent punch. Would cut through very well. Dynamic and great gain structure, although less than the RCA. Cleans up very well. Love this one in particular.
  • 1957 Tung Sol long grey plate: Very full & thick. Great gain structure, but less than the RCA above. Also cleaned up well. More balanced in the mid/high frequencies vs. the mid-forward '50 Raytheon Lowery above.

While I do have a few 50's and 60's Mullard and Amperex 12ax7s, which tend to get all the attention from tube rollers, these USA tubes are superb. In fact, I may stick with the '59 Raytheon Lowery in V1. I believe I'll have a few GE 12ax7's coming my way to try out, so I'll post those impressions as well. If anyone is curious I have a late 50's mullard and mid-60s Mullard in V2 & V3, respectively.

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
Lately I been digging old Brimar tubes. They work very well with Komets. Better than Mullards in my opinion. My Vimana sounds better with them. I never thought that would happen. Need to order some more and try it in my pulse Jet. Got to track with both amps earlier this week. Double tracked both amps and the tones were phenomenal. Maybe the best tone I have ever had!

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
i read with interest that pete thorn had his concorde modded by dave friedman. been searching the interwebs for these mods. if anyone can help me out that would be appreciated. i wouldn’t mind having the amp run a little tighter for heavy rhythms.

Top Bottom