Komet Amp Thread

westerhever

SW30 arrived today. What a great amp!
IMG_3831.JPG

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
One great thing I tried was using the Ambikab jr to run my Rotosphere and turn the cab on and off. It’s like if I had my old Leslie with my amp. It give that stereo goodness and there is no lack of volume drop too. Sounds very good.
Do you mic up your cabs or record directly with sims?

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
I mic all my cabs however sims are pretty good now a days. The tech is pretty good. I use a combo of mics and sometimes I use a SM57. Depends on the cab.
I've got various mics and cabs and haven't been able to justify getting a cab sim set up,,, though it is appealing, might be easier than futzing with the mics! It's hard to keep that sweet open sound from the Vimana cleans when I'm using the mics,,, maybe I just need to get better and dialing in my pre's,,, lol

skhan007

I mic all my cabs however sims are pretty good now a days. The tech is pretty good. I use a combo of mics and sometimes I use a SM57. Depends on the cab.
Same. I've used the SM57 for years/decades. IMO, cab sims have gotten so incredibly good, that I'm tending to use my Two-Notes Cab-M (also using a virtual SM57) for recording.

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
I've got various mics and cabs and haven't been able to justify getting a cab sim set up,,, though it is appealing, might be easier than futzing with the mics! It's hard to keep that sweet open sound from the Vimana cleans when I'm using the mics,,, maybe I just need to get better and dialing in my pre's,,, lol
Try adding a room mic, if possible, to capture the bigness of the Vimana. What cab are you using? Consider using a 57 and a SM7B (for the lows) to get a fuller sound. Works for me with the Vimana.
Same. I've used the SM57 for years/decades. IMO, cab sims have gotten so incredibly good, that I'm tending to use my Two-Notes Cab-M (also using a virtual SM57) for recording.
Yeah the 57 is pretty amazing. I have recorded several albums using just that mic for guitars with great success. Placement is key. However, lately I been messing with Two notes stuff and man it sounds killer. I really like it a lot.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious how folks using cab sims feel it impacts the feedback-y goodness of some of the wilder Komet models?

I record exclusively with IRs through a UA Ox and Suhr RLIR, and for most of my amps I'm completely happy with the results. However for something like a K60HD or an Aero 33 I'm wondering if it would mess with that singing sustain to eliminate the real cab.

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious how folks using cab sims feel it impacts the feedback-y goodness of some of the wilder Komet models?

I record exclusively with IRs through a UA Ox and Suhr RLIR, and for most of my amps I'm completely happy with the results. However for something like a K60HD or an Aero 33 I'm wondering if it would mess with that singing sustain to eliminate the real cab.
It will mess with it for sure. Cab, amp and guitar are the combo for that goodness. When tracking I sometimes have the cab in another room and I loose that ability. Definitely loose it with cab sims.

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
Try adding a room mic, if possible, to capture the bigness of the Vimana. What cab are you using? Consider using a 57 and a SM7B (for the lows) to get a fuller sound. Works for me with the Vimana.

Yeah the 57 is pretty amazing. I have recorded several albums using just that mic for guitars with great success. Placement is key. However, lately I been messing with Two notes stuff and man it sounds killer. I really like it a lot.
Excellent bit of advice, thank you! My tracking room is just a small square bedroom heavily treated/deadened so I've never really considered room micing it but I've never tried either,,, maybe it will add just enough.

Not long ago I got one of those Townsend L22 mic modelers (mainly for vocals) but I'm sure I can find a good room mic in there somewhere. :aok

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent bit of advice, thank you! My tracking room is just a small square bedroom heavily treated/deadened so I've never really considered room micing it but I've never tried either,,, maybe it will add just enough.

Not long ago I got one of those Townsend L22 mic modelers (mainly for vocals) but I'm sure I can find a good room mic in there somewhere. :aok
Try it and I hope you get great results. The Vimana clean is like angels singing.

ProfRhino

the magic trick is to use the output of the load box both ways - one side goes to a power amp and cab (re-amping) for seamless volume control (you don't need all the massive volume of a cranked tube amp for feedback, ca 10-30% are plenty in a normal room - it's all about tone & feel, not about going deaf ) - the other side goes to the DAW for recording and treatment with IRs and FX. :idea
bingo - best of both worlds ! :cool:

personally, I use a regular Suhr RL > Mesa 295 for re-amping, but you can achieve exactly the same with a stock Power Station.
same for IRs - I prefer to record dry, cabless, and add IRs in the DAW, but you could just as well use a little hardware IR loader and record that ... :dunno

I'm all set up to do traditional mic'ing, but I get comparably great results from IRs, and the workflow is so much easier and faster ... :love:

ymmv,
Rhino

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
the magic trick is to use the output of the load box both ways - one side goes to a power amp and cab (re-amping) for seamless volume control (you don't need all the massive volume of a cranked tube amp for feedback, ca 10-30% are plenty in a normal room - it's all about tone & feel, not about going deaf ) - the other side goes to the DAW for recording and treatment with IRs and FX. :idea
bingo - best of both worlds ! :cool:

personally, I use a regular Suhr RL > Mesa 295 for re-amping, but you can achieve exactly the same with a stock Power Station.
same for IRs - I prefer to record dry, cabless, and add IRs in the DAW, but you could just as well use a little hardware IR loader and record that ... :dunno

I'm all set up to do traditional mic'ing, but I get comparably great results from IRs, and the workflow is so much easier and faster ... :love:

ymmv,
Rhino

Good call! I'll have to give this a try. The UA Ox can do attenuation and IR processing so it's a decent all-in-one unit, though I've heard the attenuation is not so great - but, probably good enough for this purpose!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member

I am a big fan of the Suhr RL and RLIR. If you are going direct and need to work feedback into the performance check out the Freqout.

ProfRhino

Good call! I'll have to give this a try. The UA Ox can do attenuation and IR processing so it's a decent all-in-one unit, though I've heard the attenuation is not so great - but, probably good enough for this purpose!
try it - what have you got to lose ?

I would probably still run the OX fully silent and re-amp externally, if possible - seamless control of the volume in the room is crucial to work with different base tones (at different output volumes) and basically always be as loud as required (for harmonic feedback or sympathetic balls vibration :p ), but not louder - ear fatigue sucks ! :rolleyes:
I'm a "guitar pots player" big time, but this is different - basic, transparent, HiFi style level control, not altering tone in any way ... :idea

ymmv,
Rhino

Trending Topics

Top Bottom