Komet amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by acicuecalo, Apr 17, 2008.

1. acicuecalo

acicuecalo Member

Hi,

what´s the difference soundwise among the Komet models?

Some has compared them?

thanks

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Their site has killer sound samples, that's the best way to test. (at least for the 60 and Constellation)

3. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Great service and every one I've tried is exceptions (every amp and every model).

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I'm really digging the Komet Concorde (from the clips) and hope to try on in-person very soon. From what I've been told, the Concorde is the best EL34 amp on the planet.

5. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

Don't believe everything you read (or hear...). I spent an hour with a Concorde about two weeks ago and wasn't the least bit impressed. I felt the K60 was a much better sounding amp...

YMMV

6. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Really? Better than a Mad Professor? HMMM NO. Better than an EL34 Dumble hmmm wrong again. Better than a XTC 100B I doubt it. Trainwreck Express. NOPE!

It is a great amp but no it's not the best not hardly.

7. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

For Me, My K60 is the one! No regrets on dumping my Fuchs ODS50,Roccaforte C40 and Bogner 101B. Cabinet and speakers play a major part in the tone, also the volume knob and fast/Gradual switch takes some tweaking between guitar,effects and tones desired. I would have to say, it takes longer than a hour or two to get a feel for what these amps can do.

Tone for days:BEER

8. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Mine's better than yours, is better than his, whose is better than that guy's, who thinks his is better than all these guy's, etc. etc.

:horse

Who is anyone to say that any one amp is the best? Ridiculous statements abound on this forum.

I have to say that the Concorde is the best amp that I'VE ever played. If I played an EL34 Dumble or a Mad Professor, I may not like them as much as I like the Concorde. Geez. I have played an Ecstasy 100B and didn't like it as much as a lot of other amps I've played. Oh, and the Concorde was my favorite amp ever after the first 5 minutes with it.

9. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Yes, that was my point. None are the BEST. However, I have played all the amps mentioned in one room extensivey. And they are all different yet I found them all to be more to my liking than the concorde. But then I love my K60 over the concorde as well. If you found your favorite amp after 5 minutes thats great unfortuneatly for me I am a little more critical than that.

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Why are some people so serious here? Especially about something so subjective as someone saying "the best on the planet". I don't think the guy's statement needs to be picked apart. Lighten up guys.:rolleyes:

Regarding Komets, I've played through one. A Komet 60. It was a smoken amp. The best sounding amp on "the planet"? IMO no. The Mad Professor is an amazing amp too, but not my favorite ever. As said by many, today is a great time to be a guitar player. There are world class amps to be had at multiple price points. Used TopHats and Dr. Zs, new custom ones, Two Rocks, D/13, Komet's... it goes on. I'm glad that the best sounding amp "on the planet" IMO only cost me $1,500 brand spank'n new. But even these higher end ones can be had at a reasonable price (that includes Komets).

11. phoebus

phoebus Member

Ok kids, let's settle down here. To me and the other guy it is the best my hands have ever been through. I've owned and played many amps that are heralded as superb amps, but in my hands they sound like stink. Amps tend to take on a different personality in a band situation. In my opinion, I like the 3D quality of the Komet. It just seems to breathe alot better than most amps. Also, the Komet was meant to be played loud in a band environment. If you are playing it a very low volume it sucks just like most amps do at low volume.

12. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

QUESTION: WHAT IS THE BEST BEAR ?

[​IMG]

13. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

You guys are out of control with the criticsism... I said "I've been told", not that "I believe" it's the best. The "best on the planet" statement is what I was told by someone I trust, who knows amps. It was his opinion. Last time I checked, people in this country were entitled to one.

Also, referring to amps that are no longer available to non-millionaires doesn't make a bit of sense. I don't have $40K to spend on an amp.

If you guys dig your Bogner's, etc. Great! Go start a thread about how your's is the best.

14. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Do you realize you guys have gone through an entire page of posts and only one addressed the OP's original question? And that answer was to go to the Komet website!

I say this because I brought up the post, hoping I too could find out the differences between the various Komet models. Instead I read a page of debate over whether Komets are the best amp or not.

It's getting frustrating around here a lot more as it seems everyone has opinions on everything except what you're trying to find out in the first place!

15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

ive played all of the amps you mentioned there. with the exception of the real express (although i have played a few clones). if i had a choice, id pick the komet 60 out of all of them

16. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

17. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Needless to say we all hear things differently, but here's my take on the Komets:

K60:
    Big beautiful cleans in the Fender vein. The overdrive to my ears is very marshally, with a blocky Hiwatt thing happening. Great harmonic content. The low end is tight, but not very full sounding. The mids are full and broad. And the highs are abundant, sometimes overly so. It's very unique. In fast mode it's very sensitive to touch, and really allows your playing style and the voice of your guitar to shine though.

Concorde:
    Marshally cleans, with less headroom than the K60. I found them to be a tad sterile. The overdrive is huge and very much in the Marshall vein. Massive low end, that isn't too boomy or indistinct. The biggest, fullest midrange of any amp I've heard. And the highs are defined, without being overbearing. It's a much "faster" amp than the 60--there's an immediacy to the notes that you won't find in a lot of amps. Not as complex as the K60, but with way more punch and grind. Lots of body here. This is my favorite from Komet Amps.

Constellation:
    Voxy cleans with lots of sparkle, detail and chime. Loads of gain on tap--probably more than either the 60 or the Concorde. The gain character is a blend of AC30 and Marshall. The low end is tight, but not terribly full. In terms of midrange, there isn't a lot of low mid content--there's a big push in the upper mids. Makes for less body than I like in an amp. It's bright in the high end, but the cut knob allows you to scale it back a bit. This is probably my least favorite offering from Komet but some people seem to dig it. Far as I know, it's not being made anymore.

Hope this helps.

peace
    -jeff

18. dark

dark Member

Originally Posted by sinasl1 [​IMG]
    "I find the Concorde to be bold, more aggressive, louder (more power, of course), and overall just BIGGER sounding than an Express- this based on owning 3 Concordes and also playing one back to back with 3 or 4 different Trainwreck Express amps at Ultrasound.

This is not to say that the Concorde is better- the Express amps all had their own character, they were very, well.. EXPRESSIVE, in that Trainwreck way, lotsa harmonics, very complex and wonderful for playing lead through. Excellent for the studio, I'm sure, where nuances are so important...

I really liked the one built for George Lynch, it was the most aggressive of the bunch, sounded wonderful.

I do love the Concorde though, they are such great amps, and truth be told if you sent me to a gig (most gigs?) and said "pick between an Express or a Concorde", I'd probably take the Concorde. Just for versatility's sake and headroom, etc. In the studio it'd be a toss-up, pick the right amp for the part situation."

:agree

Dark

19. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

On the subject of the best. As we all know, we as players are all differn't and like differn't things. I enjoyed all the amps I had mentoned and would not discredit any of them, because they all did a great job. I played with my Bogner for almost 4 years, before going to a single channel amp. The Roccaforte Custom 40 was a great amp and was a great deal for $1300. The fuchs was great but to stiff sounding for my use with my LP, I loved it with my strat. The Komet has allowed me to play the way I prefer "ala guitars volume knob" deal with the stiffness and bass issues I had in the past and my need to not have a multi channel amp,effects loop or reverb.

Differen't strokes for differen't folks I say!

20. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

My experience is that the Concorde DOES have more overdrive and gain than the K60 at a lower volume. You really need to turn the K60 up to "deliver the goods." However, all the different guitars kind of sounded the same through that gain structure on the Concorde. They all remained very distinct on the K60.

As opposed to your note on the bass on the Concorde, I did find that it got real "boomy" and kind of mushy at higher volumes. You could dial it out, but you DEFINITELY need to turn it down as you turn the amp up. You didn't need to do this on the K60.

I think the K60 is a very special amp, with an amazing sound cranked up. It really gives you the best of both worlds.

When I was at Ultrasound, they also mentioned that they liked the K60 better...and they were instrumental in helping design the Concorde!